Strange children's names

Started by muppet, August 06, 2010, 01:46:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7522952.stm

NZ judge orders 'odd' name change

A judge in New Zealand made a young girl a ward of court so that she could change the name she hated - Talula Does The Hula From Hawaii.

Judge Rob Murfitt said that the name embarrassed the nine-year-old and could expose her to teasing.
He attacked a trend of giving children bizarre names, citing several examples.

Officials had blocked Sex Fruit, Keenan Got Lucy and Yeah Detroit, he said, but Number 16 Bus Shelter, Violence and Midnight Chardonnay had been allowed.

One mother wanted to name her child O.crnia using text language, but was later persuaded to use Oceania, he said.

'Social handicap'
The ruling, in the city of New Plymouth on the North Island, was handed down in February but only made public now.

UNUSUAL NAMES
Allowed: Violence; Number 16 Bus Shelter; Midnight Chardonnay; Benson and Hedges (twins)
Blocked: Yeah Detroit; Stallion; Twisty Poi; Keenan Got Lucy; Sex Fruit; Fat Boy; Cinderella Beauty Blossom; Fish and Chips (twins)

The name issue emerged during a custody hearing for the young girl - who had refused to tell her friends her name and went simply by "K".

"The court is profoundly concerned about the very poor judgment which this child's parents have shown in choosing this name," Judge Murfitt wrote.

"It makes a fool of the child and sets her up with a social disability and handicap, unnecessarily."
Talula Does The Hula From Hawaii's name has now been changed and the custody case resolved, court officials said.
New Zealand does not allow names that would cause offence or that are longer than 100 characters, Registrar-General Brian Clarke said.
Officials often tried to talk parents out of particularly unusual choices that could embarrass their offspring, the Associated Press news agency quoted him as saying.
MWWSI 2017

the Deel Rover

the New Jersey parents who gave their children Nazi-inspired names including Adolf Hitler lost custody after a state appeals court ruled that a history of domestic violence puts the children at risk of abuse and neglect.

Officials say the removal had nothing to do with the kids' names.Court documents show that the oldest child frequently threatens to kill people and the mother once slipped a note to a neighbor saying she was terrified of her husband because he said he would kill her.

Adolf Hitler Campbell, 4, and his two younger sisters, JoyceLynn Aryan Nation Campbell, 3, and Honszlynn Hinler Jeannie Campbell, 2, will remain in the care of the Division of Youth and Family Services (DYFS).

Their parents, Heath Campbell, 37, and Deborah Campbell, 27, both unemployed and disabled, were abused as children and "neither has received adequate treament for their serious psychological conditions," the three-judge panel of the Superior Court of New Jersey Appellate Division.

The family made headlines back in 2009 when a ShopRite supermarket in Greenwich, N.J., refused to inscribe Adolf Hitler Campbell's name on a cake for his third birthday. At the time, police and child protection officials took the children into protective custody, declining to reveal the exact reason but indicating it was not because of the children's names.

Related
Hate Groups Riled Up Over Prospect of President Obama WATCH: Interview with the Supreme White AllianceNeo-Nazi Obama Plot One of "A Handful" of "Serious" Threats Against ObamaToday's ruling reversed a family court order that determined there was insufficient evidence that the parents had abused or neglected the children. The appeals court sent the case back to family court for further monitoring.

The 49-page ruling shed light on the bleak life inside the Campbell home in Holland Township, where windows were nailed shut and "unusual decorative features" included skulls and knives. DYFS first became involved in the case in December 2008 after receiving complaints that the children were being strapped into their booster seats for unusually long periods of time amid ongoing domestic violence.

A neighbor turned over a handwritten note signed by Deborah Campbell, who dropped out of the 10th grade, that accused her husband of trying to kill her and expressed fear for her children's safety. The note, replete with spelling errors, said, "Hes thrend to have me killed or kill me himself hes alread tried it a few times. Im scare to leave b/c I will be killed. Im afread that he might hurt my children if they are keeped in his care... He's already stabed me with a screwdriver in the hand... He teaches my son how to kill someone at the age of 3."

Asked about the letter during court custody proceedings, Deborah Campbell admitted that she wrote it but testified it was all a lie. She described her husband as "a perfect guy."

Heath Campbell, who cannot read, has been married twice before, fathered other children and has an alleged history of domestic violence, according to the ruling. One of his ex-wives has a restraining order against him and has "moved to an Air Force base with family in Florida to be away and safe from him," court papers said.

Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

ballinaman

Some of those names a nuts muppet...wtf like.

I saw a girl who was close to 20stone working in Sea World San Diego who's name tag read....Whisper.....thought it was quite ironic.

lynchbhoy

heard of a ryan ryan in wicklow - hard to credit the parents with any cop on !

nrico2006

What about the great man who fathered Gary and Phil Neville, Mr Neville Neville himself.  Isn't there a car dealer in Castlederg called Hugh McHugh?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

nrico2006

'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

screenmachine

I'm gonna punch you in the ovary, that's what I'm gonna do. A straight shot. Right to the babymaker.

maddog

Quote from: nrico2006 on August 06, 2010, 02:12:06 PM
Some crackers here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7909561.stm

I shit you not - Mary Christmas used to run one of the local pubs to me. At turfing out time the song would start " so here she is Mary chrismas everybody having fun"....

The Real Laoislad

Some craic when your in shops in Dublin and you hear a Mother calling for their little Britney,Jordan,Beyonce..
Heard one calling her son Brooklyn a while back  ::)
You'll Never Walk Alone.

EagleLord

Out for a bit of grub the other day with the better half, ruined off course by rowdy kids, do my head in, child wouldn sit a peace, and sure then doesnt the mother shout over, 'Angel thats enough, sit down'...Angel like...f**k me..

ross4life

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

dec

Track, Bristol, Willow, Piper and Trig Palin.

Gaffer

Traveller childer have some freaky names
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

Puckoon

I know a construction worker, hardy bastard called Roc.

Hedley Lamarr

Quote from: Puckoon on August 06, 2010, 04:56:43 PM
I know a construction worker, hardy b**tard called Roc.

Is he from San Francisco? ...or Gibraltar? :D
I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: