AISF 2010: An Dún vs Cill Dara

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, August 01, 2010, 06:32:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Brillant match today (both games). thought both teams had their moments. very entertaining for the neutral.

can Down win the final??

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Dinny Breen

QuoteKildare must be the biggest crowd of whingers in the country - If there was an AI series in whining, ye would win that hands down!

Whose whinging ya muppet!!!
#newbridgeornowhere

mckieran

QuoteCan anyone tell me, since when does it make sense for a Monaghan referee to be appointed to referee an All Ireland Semi involving Down or any other Ulster County?
Surely a referee from Munster or Connacht was the obvious choice, even if it had to be Marty Duffy.

Yeah, a ref from a different province should be appointed. It was brought up by somebody recently too - I recall reading it in the paper a few weeks back.
It could even work the other way; For example An Armagh man reffing a Tyrone match might not give much to Tyrone; Sme vice versa, or with Galway - Mayo, Dublin - Meath etc.

tbrick18

Yes it was a square ball....but how many steps were taken for the Kildare goal? For me both goals should have been disallowed which would have ended with the same result.
As for the referee, if anything I though he treated Down more harshly than Kildare....but to be fair I dont think he had any real influence in the result.
Down were the better side, clear to be seen and I for one hope they go all the way now and win it. They have played the best football this year IMO.
Kildare played well but are still missing something. They are well organised, very big and pyhsical and have their fair share of talent. Mobility perhaps? McGeeney has brought them on well since he took over, I just wonder has he done as much as he can? I think he should get another year at it anyway and if he can keep Doyle and Early fit and on the panel they should still be there or there abouts.

Congrats to Down....hope yous can go on and win it now and keep your AI final record in tact!

Jinxy

Quote from: mckieran on August 29, 2010, 08:51:52 PM
A lot of players believe the square ball rule to be a shit rule and abolished. And I agree.

This is a perfect example; I do not see why that goal should not have stood - Why have the square ball rule at all? I really do think that goals of this kind should stand.

Also, the ref gave Kildare plenty of "iffy" decisions today; They just werent as critical as the decisions that went Downs way. Kildare must be the biggest crowd of whingers in the country - If there was an AI series in whining, ye would win that hands down!

Well......it was a square ball.
That's one reason.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

mckieran

QuoteWhose whinging ya muppet!!!

This thread is nearly all about the ref. Coming out of Croke Pk, all I heard were Kildare people complaining about the ref. Then on the train, more Kildare people whinging.

Maiden1

The down goal definitely helped down they looked really shaky up to that point. I though McAneney tried to even it up a bit by giving Kildare a few handy frees (I'm sure all down frees where legitimate :)  )
There are no proofs, only opinions.

mckieran

Quotebut how many steps were taken for the Kildare goal?

Thought this goal was valid when I was watching it in real time, He hops the ball after his first few steps. Have often seen players getting away with taking more out of the ball

QuoteWell......it was a square ball.
That's one reason.

Ok, yeah. Well my point was about the purpose of the square ball rule. I guess thats a whole other debate though.

ross4life

Quote from: mckieran on August 29, 2010, 08:59:19 PM
QuoteWhose whinging ya muppet!!!

This thread is nearly all about the ref. Coming out of Croke Pk, all I heard were Kildare people complaining about the ref. Then on the train, more Kildare people whinging.

If the boot was on the other foot would Down people complain?
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

mckieran

QuoteIf the boot was on the other foot would Down people complain?

Well maybe they would. But I doubt it would be as much as Kildare

On another note, I thought Downs fans were awful with their booing today

Shrewdness

In my opinion, the umpires at both ends were the real culprits today, and not the referee.

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: red hander on August 29, 2010, 08:15:04 PM
Quote from: ardmhachaabu on August 29, 2010, 07:20:06 PM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on August 29, 2010, 06:51:37 PM
If Down win the final, which they should on current form, Mickey Harte will be staying on until we win 7 All-Irelands. An Dún abú!  ;)
So he will be retiring around 2030 or something judging on past form?

That would be about right, and Armagh will still only have one
Touché  ;D
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

swagger

fair balls to benny coulter to say that he was in the square, at least he was being honest! ;D ;D
riiiiiiiiiite

haranguerer

Quote from: mckieran on August 29, 2010, 08:51:52 PM
A lot of players believe the square ball rule to be a shit rule and abolished. And I agree.

This is a perfect example; I do not see why that goal should not have stood - Why have the square ball rule at all? I really do think that goals of this kind should stand.

Also, the ref gave Kildare plenty of "iffy" decisions today; They just werent as critical as the decisions that went Downs way. Kildare must be the biggest crowd of whingers in the country - If there was an AI series in whining, ye would win that hands down!

I've honestly never heard any player at any level complain about the square ball rule, and I've been playing a while. Imo, its a good rule which helps the game. Consider the situation without it - players standing the whole game in round the keeper, it'd be a mess.

In fairness to McEnaney too, he checked with the umpires, I know he has the power to overrule, but if they were adamant and they're closer, hes right to go by them.

omagh_gael

There are only two options that will end the square ball controversy, either:

allow anybody to enter the square at any time during play or...

allow nobody but the keeper in the square.