Greatly exaggerated GAA Myths

Started by From the Bunker, July 25, 2010, 10:47:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

Quote from: Winnie Peg on November 03, 2011, 12:15:45 AM
"Crossmaglen play it to the edge" which in actual fact means that they a crowd of dirty cynical hoores.

:D :D :D Can't argue with that after watching them last weekend!

LeoMc

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on August 13, 2010, 05:21:02 AM
what the hell is it about this Aaron Kernan....you lads never shut up about him yet he is a bit of a mystery outside Armagh . He is like the D.B Cooper of the GAA

Gooches brother who would have been even better only for women & drink (& sky diving)?

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

That Fermanagh would have won Sam in 2004.

That Dublin would have won Sam in 2006.

That Galway didn't want to win the match in Tuam V Mayo in 1999.

Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Rossfan

Games are always lost on the sideline.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Rossfan on November 03, 2011, 11:01:36 AM
Games are always lost on the sideline.

The old "players win games, managers lose them" one is a favourite if mine!

Quote from: screenexile on November 03, 2011, 12:34:06 AM
Quote from: Winnie Peg on November 03, 2011, 12:15:45 AM
"Crossmaglen play it to the edge" which in actual fact means that they a crowd of dirty cynical hoores.

:D :D :D Can't argue with that after watching them last weekend!

:-*

southdown

Xavi Alonso has an All Ireland Medal

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: southdown on November 03, 2011, 12:16:10 PM

I don't think that was ever really one, the same way as the Socrates on for instance. I think he just lived in Meath when theu won it!

4father

Wayne Rooney played Under 14 for St Pauls, Belfast in the B FĂ©ile and scored an OG to lose the game by a point. 

Hardy

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on November 02, 2011, 11:50:36 PM
"The game is called football therefore there should be more kicking of the ball, ..."  The game is called football because it's played on foot.
:D  Brilliant. Where does that leave handball?
I like the idea of horseball, though, for the polo.

Quote"football is starting to look like basketball...."  Only if you've never actually watched a game of basketball would it seem that way.
I've watched more basketball than I ever wanted to or anyone should ever have to and the basketball metaphor for the infestation of football with handpassing seems spot on to me. (Hint - it's a metaphor. It doesn't mean people think they're watching a game played indoors with a basket at either end of a tiny pitch.)

Quote"and it looks awful as a result."  See above. Basketball is f***ing brilliant to watch.
I think I may have to have you taken out and flogged.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on November 03, 2011, 12:43:39 PM
Quote from: southdown on November 03, 2011, 12:16:10 PM

I don't think that was ever really one, the same way as the Socrates on for instance. I think he just lived in Meath when theu won it!

Its a bit like saying Cassius Clay/Muhammad Ali, Prince Phillip, Barack Obama all won Hurling All-Stars.

Orchardman

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on November 03, 2011, 10:59:41 AM

I don't ever recall anyone saying that fermanagh would have won sam in 2004. I was gutted when they beat us, and they could have beaten mayo, and would have been great to see them in the final. No harm to mayo, fermanagh wouldn't have done much worse but no one was going to stop kerry that day.

Dublin in 2006? maybe they might have, guess we'll never know. It was semi final classic though

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Orchardman on November 03, 2011, 02:05:59 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on November 03, 2011, 10:59:41 AM

I don't ever recall anyone saying that fermanagh would have won sam in 2004. I was gutted when they beat us, and they could have beaten mayo, and would have been great to see them in the final. No harm to mayo, fermanagh wouldn't have done much worse but no one was going to stop kerry that day.

Dublin in 2006? maybe they might have, guess we'll never know. It was semi final classic though

I have met a few Fermanagh folk and alot more than a few Dubs who claim they would have done better or won in the Final. A very easy claim shielded by Semi-Final defeat. Those 2 years were Kerry at their peak.

Jell 0 Biafra

Haven't heard that from too many Dubs myself.  Definite missed opportunity to get to a final, but it's not like playing Kerry would've been a handy one.

Puckoon

Quote from: Hardy on November 03, 2011, 01:03:15 PM
"The game is called football therefore there should be more kicking of the ball, ..."  The game is called football because it's played on foot.

[

Christ Hardy you have been on form this week.  :D

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Puckoon on November 03, 2011, 08:09:05 PM
Quote from: Hardy on November 03, 2011, 01:03:15 PM

[

Christ Hardy you have been on form this week.  :D

I prefer Muppet's proposal to call it 'arseball'