All Ireland Quarter Final Tir Eoghain V Dublin

Started by never kickt a ball, July 18, 2010, 11:43:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

A few points on the game...

- Dublin have a good one in McAuley.
- Gilroy clearly doesn't like Alan Brogan.
- Harte got tactics very wrong yesterday. McCarron shouldn't have been near Bernard Brogan and to be honest neither should Joe McMahon.
- Why didn't Tyrone push up on the spare Dublin man in defense? He was stifling their FF line.
- Jordan is probably the best wing half back about at present.
- Sean K(C)avanagh is a bit too greedy for my liking.
- Kicking that many wides always comes back to haunt teams. It sucks the life out of teams.

Mickeys beard

Watching again, the Brogans had some game, perhaps Tyrone compromised efficiency for the fancy score on several occasions. Finally, delighted to see the pure honest elation on the Dublin fans' faces-have to appreciate that as a GAA fan.
Boil the Drawers!

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: Mickeys beard on August 01, 2010, 11:19:28 PM
Watching again, the Brogans had some game, perhaps Tyrone compromised efficiency for the fancy score on several occasions. Finally, delighted to see the pure honest elation on the Dublin fans' faces-have to appreciate that as a GAA fan.
:)

I was at the Dublin-Antrim hurling game and Dublin-Armagh football game.  There was a family of Dubs behind me, my Mrs and youngest, at one point during the Antrim game one young Dub said 'We are winning by a point' the look of pure joy on his face at that said it all for me

When Armagh lost to the Dubs, I turned and shook wee Dubs hand, he was delighted  ;D

That's what makes it all worthwhile, year in and year out
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

loughshore lad

Was very much a game Tyrone could have won given the possession they enjoyed and wides they kicked but poor decision making both on and off the field proved their undoing. 

The short kick out policy was a disaster and played right into Dublin's hands.  It didn't work last year against Cork either.  Yesterday Dublin played in exactly the same manner as they did in Omagh and the short kick out policy was always going to make it very difficult for Tyrone to break down and penetrate the Dublin defensive set up. 

Quite often Tyrone only had 3 forwards up and such conservatism made Dublin's job easier from a defensive perspective. 

From a Tyrone perspective you would have to ask did Harte learn anything form the Cork game or the league game with Dublin this year.

Fair play to the Dubs and their management in particular who have took serious stick.  They had their team set up extremely well and have them working with an intensity probably not seen from Dublin before.  The players are all extremely athletic and powerful and have the conditioning required to implement the way they are trying to play.  In Bernard Brogan they have possibly the best inside forward in the game today, he is a class act.

MR99

I think McCarron was very harshly done by yesterday.  Was playing well and had kept Brogan scoreless from play altohugh he did give him one free.  The yellow card was a joke as you can clearly see in the replay that Brogan was holding his jersey, not the other way round.

Taking him off showed a lack of trust again by Harte and it then disrupted the whole defense as everyone was then switched round.  It seems Micky will take a young player off if he gets a yellow but wont take a more experienced man off who is shooting wide after wide from possible angles.

Zapatista

Quote from: MR99 on August 02, 2010, 12:44:07 AM
I think McCarron was very harshly done by yesterday.  Was playing well and had kept Brogan scoreless from play altohugh he did give him one free.  The yellow card was a joke as you can clearly see in the replay that Brogan was holding his jersey, not the other way round.

Taking him off showed a lack of trust again by Harte and it then disrupted the whole defense as everyone was then switched round.  It seems Micky will take a young player off if he gets a yellow but wont take a more experienced man off who is shooting wide after wide from possible angles.

I don't think so. If Harte didn't have confidence in McCArron then he wouldn't have started him. Brogan was too cute and the early booking left McCarron very vulnerable. It was a harsh booking as Brogan fouled McCarron for the first ticking (i didn't really see what happened for the booking). In fairness that's no slight against Brogan, he was just a little cuter. McCarron picked up an early yellow against Kerry in the league and then picked up a silly second yellow. It was a good call by Harte, who has done the same to experienced players in the past including Ricey. McCarron is still an excellent footballer and played well while he was there, the decisions just went against him.

rrhf

If Harte was to stay on at senior level, I would like him to take the under 21 job as well and use that level as a development squad to nurture this new talent.  I think he needs to let the cocooned players play football for their clubs -there were too many lads on that bench who he knew hadnt played enough football this year to come on on Saturday. 

To whom it may concern

I agree totally with the view that Harte should take the U-21 job again. It makes sense and would help to bridge the gap to senior level as we should now be attempting to bring a lot of these guys through. We have won numerous minor titles in the last 3-4 years and the U-21 season is quite short anyway with it being a straight knock out.

The short kick out ploy contributed to our loss big time. It granted us possession in the short term, but put the full back line under pressure to then play the ball as Dublin simply filtered back. The same problem that we had againts Cork last year: a lack of penetration and physicality to regularly penetrate Dublin's wall at speed. Harte spoke in 2008 about energy. Cork 2009 and Dublin 2010 illustrated a lack of energy or rather, a lack of high ocatne stuff which characterisied 2003, 2005 and to a lesser extent 2008.

It was clear Dooher lacked the legs for 70 at Croke Park. Harte showed a lack of confidence in his bench. The introduction of SO'N was strange as Dublin set up a wall which prevented early ball into the inside line. This meant that we required pack and movement in the inside line. Penrose would have offered this more than O'Neill and whilst i could clearly understand the logic in placing him in the half back line for his legs, surely Sean O'Neill or Peter Harte could have played this role? I also feel McCullagh would have been useful, firstly for keeping the ball and secondly for spreading the play and the Dubs made our forward line seem very narrow. McCul;lagh's appreciation of space would have been useful.

From watching the match again, not only did we kick wides when 10-8 up, we also gave away possession. Brian McGuigan carried a ball out of defence below the Hogan Stand and was in acres of space with several options. He proceeded to fumble possession and was turned over. Dooher the, moments later did the same and was penalised for touching it on the ground. Two incidents which indicated the sea change in favour of the Dubs.

omagh_gael

Think it's worth noting that Dermy Carlin played very well when introduced. Should have taken his score when he made a great burst up the field though. Mc Carron was on shaky ground on a yellow and wasn't surprised to see him called ashore very quickly

INDIANA

Quote from: omagh_gael on August 02, 2010, 11:09:58 AM
Think it's worth noting that Dermy Carlin played very well when introduced. Should have taken his score when he made a great burst up the field though. Mc Carron was on shaky ground on a yellow and wasn't surprised to see him called ashore very quickly

Thought Carlin cost you the goal. It was his man Flynn who set it up.

Is iT True?

Tyrone Were Shite. Gareth Devlin would have helped a lot out there but Harte disrespected him.

McCarron on Brogan was a MASSIVE gamble. :o :o :o

Mac2

If Cavanagh had his shooting boots on I think Tyrone could've kicked on. Found the camera work a bit annoying on Saturday they missed the kick out after Mulligan's point & then O'Gara's goal.

Hill16 Blues

Great win for Dublin. We got 1/2 breaks during the game but having had sod all luck over many years now nobody from Dublin will apologise for that. Fair play to Tyrone who were gracious losers on Sat.

Despite win this Dublin team is still very young & inexperienced. There is great potential in many of the players intrduced by Gilroy and more to come from U21s this year.. Hopefully the soon to re-emerge bandwagon Dub fans will bear this in mind re expectations for s/f. Those here criticising O'Gara should bear in mind he was playing on Dublin junior team 2 years ago. He is very raw but has the makings of top full forward if coached well. As Tony Davis said on Sunday Game he most definitely would not fancy marking him. Don't think there's a full back left in AI series who will fancy it.

A Quinn Martin Production

I wouldn't be writing an obit for this Tyrone team too soon.  A bad day at the office both on and off the field.  It's all been discussed on the thread.

Dublin were the better team and deserved to win.  But Tyrone lost it in that 10-12 min period in the 2nd half when they were on top and kicked 4 bad wides in quick succession.  The next day those points will go over.  However one big worry for Tyrone is that Dublin wanted to win that game more.  As Jack O'Connor is obesessed with Tyrone was Harte looking forward to another crack at Cork??

I for one saw that Dooher performance coming.  You can talk about bleep tests all you want but Dooher was knackered against Antrim.
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

LeoMc

Quote from: Is iT True? on August 02, 2010, 12:14:30 PM
Tyrone Were Shite. Gareth Devlin would have helped a lot out there but Harte disrespected him.

McCarron on Brogan was a MASSIVE gamble. :o :o :o

;D ;D Maybe some of his homies down on da hood should put a cap in Mickeys ass for that.