Monaghan v Kildare

Started by Schkite, July 18, 2010, 06:15:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maguire01

Terrible performance. A very promising year down the pan in the space of 6 days. Clearly last Sunday was just too much to recover from - obviously missing Corey and Mone down the middle of defence didn't help things either - just never really got going.

If Kildare had been able to score, they would have been well in front by half time. When they did score they shot some great points.

mrgaa1

Monaghan have now been shown for what they really are - dirty, dirty players who constantly punch when tackling, hit after the ball and try everything to bring the other team down to their level.
Thankfully they are now gone.  Good riddance as they have been a disgrace to football and how Rory Woods and the Mones ever finish match's I'll never know.  The one trick pony is finished - the Banty can go and roost and Monaghan can rightfully take their place as being 4th or 5th best in Ulster.
I confidently predict they will be easily relegated next year from Division one - and the slide will continue from there to bottom of Division 2.  They have no underage worth talking about coming through.
The only player worth his place on any other team is Paul Finlay.

Maguire01

4th or 5th best in Ulster? Who are the 3 or 4 teams between Tyrone and Monaghan?

Schkite

So much bullshit in that post it's not worth replying to.

Very disappointing today, the hunger just wasn't there any more and the mental and physical toll of last Sunday showed more and more as the game wore on. I thought early on that we looked up for it, but we couldn't keep up the initial pace we set in the first few minutes, the players clearly hadn't the heart for this after the crushing defeat 6 days ago, whereas Kildare looked well up for it and are growing in stature with each game.

Kildare had some amount of chances and had they took half of them would have been out of sight alot earlier. Obviously missing Vinny and JP left the defence alot lighter than usual, but the defence today couldn't keep up with Kildare's attack, particularly James Kavanagh who was superb, a player I've admired for a while now.

Well done Kildare, serious effort especially when you consider that's the 5th week in a row they're out, some going. I can't see many wanting to meet them now.

Bit of a change coming for Monaghan now, Banty will be gone along with 3-4 of the players retiring I'd say.

mrgaa1

Quote from: Maguire01 on July 24, 2010, 08:45:23 PM
4th or 5th best in Ulster? Who are the 3 or 4 teams between Tyrone and Monaghan?
Based on league & championship success this year:
Tyrone - only because they won Ulster - poor League
Armagh - good league, won Div 2 final, poor  championship
Down - topped div 2 league - championship - could see them go above Armagh
Antrim - did well in the League - ok championship
Monaghan - poor league, points difference to keep them up, two ok championship match's and then fell apart

no point talking about the rest really.

Derry
Fermanagh
Cavan
Donegal

As Schkite says, no hunger, no pace, and the one trick pony was well and truly stopped.

Schkite

Not hard to be stopped after the disappointment of last week, the players weren't up for it at all.

How you put those three teams ahead of Monaghan based on this year is laughable!

Dinny Breen

#newbridgeornowhere

irunthev

Monaghan have spent a heck of a lot of money over the past three or four years and have nothing to show for it. Surely there have to be questions asked. I appreciate they have made it all the way up from Div 4, but they spent money that was geared towards winning something of substance ie AI or at least Ulster. It hasn't materialised. Will the spending be allowed to continue?

Dinny Breen

Firstly a bit of perspective, 6 days is not enough time to recover after losing a provincial final, we've been on the receiving end a couple of times and it is quite simply not fair and needs to be addressed just don't understand why it has to be..

Kildare won but we didn't beat the real Monaghan but still we had a job a to do and our attiutde was professionally in its approach, nice to win with JD having an a bit of mare but regular Kildare watchers know we now have players who can step up to the mark when JD or Dermot are having off days, Jimmers was outstanding today shipped a bit of criticism last week as did Roli but Geezer has instilled such high standards that these players are their own worse critics and their response was excellent. Can't remember the last time I say John Doyle kick 6 wides in 1 half but we most be approaching a 100 wides this year but we are creating chances  however from here on in we need to be far more clinical if we want to progress.

Someone said that Spilliane made an intelligent point at half time and that Kildare's warm-ups are so intense that it might be leading to our slow starts, he might be onto something for once.

I doubt anyone could doubt we are a top 8 side (except that mad wannabe Derry man Lynchbhoy) but this is our third year in the quarter-finals and we have to push on.

Hard to look beyond Jimmers for motm but Bolton was outstanding as was the full-back line who between the 3 of them only conceded 1 point from play. Finally intelligent management from Geezer today, used his bench well and took the gamble that we wouldn't be caught at the end to rest some players and give the squad game time..

It's always a roller coaster of emotions being a Kildare supporter but it's great fun none the less. Onwards and upwards, 6 in a row next week, is that a record?
#newbridgeornowhere

Rossfan

All set for the emotional one v us next weekend in this sad year of Dermot's passing?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Dinny Breen

That would be emotional, while it would be a great way to honour the great man I think it would be a massive distraction for Dermot Óg and could affect our peformance, at this stage every little detail matters.
#newbridgeornowhere

Maguire01

mcgaa1, you clearly don't have a clue, but here goes anyway...

Quote from: mrgaa1 on July 24, 2010, 09:06:17 PM
Armagh - good league, won Div 2 final, poor  championship
Armagh were playing in Division 2. Arguably survival in Division 1 is more of an achievement than promotion from Division 2. Monaghan beat Armagh by 12 points in Casement. Armagh won 2 games in the championship beating two teams you said weren't worth talking about.

Down - topped div 2 league - championship - could see them go above Armagh
Again, they were playing in Division 2. They beat Donegal (again, who you said weren't worth talking about). They're on a run now, but they've only beat 2 Division 3 teams and a Division 4 team. Hardly extraordinary.

Antrim - did well in the League - ok championship
They were in Division 3 of the league. Big deal. They played two championship games and lost both. They're improved, but they're still 5th best team in the provice at best.

you take er!

Perhaps a little harsh from mrgaa1, he does seem to have a bee in his bonet about Monaghan. I do agree to an extent though that the Farney may well slip into a period of decline. I also think as an orchard fan that it puts Armaghs defeat into perspective..had brian Mallon not been (harshly) sent off the game would've been much closer. At this point Ulster, Tyrone aside, is pretty poor but these things go in cycles Armagh in 2/3 years will be a force again - that will be 5/6 years out of touch. Not sure whats coming through in other counties though. Tyrone it seems are fast becoming the Kerry of Ulster...it pains me greatly to say that.

Main Street

I am drained just watching this Monaghan team now, never mind the players.  After 2 minutes and 2 points, I felt they never looked like they were going to take advantage of Kildare's slow start and profligacy, which the would have needed to, to have a chance.
Small mercies in that it was not a total massacre in the second half. Kildare did not have to work that hard but they did it with a controlled, professional, driven attitude.
I think we blew a gasket sometime before the Ulster Final. I don't know how or why. Today was almost a replica game of the Ulster final from a Monaghan perspective.. On the game that was out there today, even after just 6 days, I would have expected a better first half, get a lead and be pegged back and probably overhauled by Kildare in the 2nd half.

The Konica

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on July 24, 2010, 04:31:49 PM
I wouldnt say Woods is useless,but he doesnt have the physique to be out in the half forward line,If hes going to play at this level,it would have to be in the FF line where he can use his strength.

Woods has ability, but he's never been fit enough to play or have serious effect at Intercounty and probably never will at this stage.

Probably not matter to the CCCCCC about the dig at Early, but it should.
Woods has plenty of previous in this regard, but has gotten away with a lot over the past.