Louth v Dublin

Started by All of a Sludden, July 18, 2010, 06:12:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onlooker

I would expect that the supporters of all 4 counties will give the Louth team a great reception when they run out in Croke Park on Sunday.  No county has been the victims of such daylight robbery as Louth were.  Still think it will be hard for them to raise their game to the standard that they reached to beat Meath.  Bernard Brogan is in super form and I think that Dublin will go through to the quarter finals.

under the bar

QuoteNo county has been the victims of such daylight robbery as Louth were.

You should watch the 1995 & 1996 All-Ireland football finals.

Hound

Quote from: under the bar on July 20, 2010, 12:33:56 PM
QuoteNo county has been the victims of such daylight robbery as Louth were.

You should watch the 1995 & 1996 All-Ireland football finals.
In fairness, while Dublin were robbed throughout with ridiculous decisions keeping Tyrone in touch in the 1995 final, we managaed to sneak over the line thanks to Peter forgetting to put his toe under the ball - the silly fecker  ;D

The Konica

I like Pat Gilroy and I like what he's trying to do, but I don't think Dublin are near the finished article and I think he knows that every well himself - he's never said otherwise of course. In fact I'd not be so confident to assume they're on the perfect track yet - though he's certainly making progress.

However, this is the kind of article that I feel doesn't do Dublin any favours ...
http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/solving-dublins-puzzle-2265919.html

IMO Dublin beat a very average/poor Armagh team - which with out a shadow of a doubt symbolically a huge victory - but as a result, the biggest danger facing Dublin is complacency or a slight loss of edge, which can happen with a newish team.

I'd be worried that a hungry, angry Louth team bent on revenge could bring a level of intensity that could astound Dublin if they were to lose focus or sense of position. That to me is PG's greatest challenge this week. I'm sure he's aware of it and I hope for his sake he can get the message across.

It's not a criticism of PG or Dublin, just a cautionary suggestion.

Hound

Its funny that <generally> people outside the county think higher of Gilroy than people inside the county.

I'd be one to give him the benefit of the doubt for as long as possible, but with all his chopping and changing, both of personnel and systems/tactics, its hard to know what he's doing, and its a legitimate worry to wonder does he know what he's doing himself.

The Konica

Quote from: Hound on July 21, 2010, 11:48:43 AM
Its funny that <generally> people outside the county think higher of Gilroy than people inside the county.

I'd be one to give him the benefit of the doubt for as long as possible, but with all his chopping and changing, both of personnel and systems/tactics, its hard to know what he's doing, and its a legitimate worry to wonder does he know what he's doing himself.

Well honestly I'm not convinced yet myself - but like you I think at least he deserves the benefit of the doubt.

I'll keep my final judgement until the end of the year - but if I was to judge him on last year I think he's struggling.

SLIGONIAN

I always liked the Dubs, but Best of Luck to Louth on Saturday. Really hope ye go alot further.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Jinxy

Peter Fitzpatrick is still harping on about the Leinster final.
I don't think the players and management have moved on from that day despite what they say.
Dublin by 5+.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

heffo

Quote from: Jinxy on July 23, 2010, 02:42:37 PM
Peter Fitzpatrick is still harping on about the Leinster final.
I don't think the players and management have moved on from that day despite what they say.
Dublin by 5+.

Go on out of that now Jinxy, five points my eye - Louth by three

Bensars

Fancy Dublin. Cant see Louth liftiing it to the leinster final level again.

The Konica

I'm going for a Louth win.
Dublin beat a very bad Armagh team, they'll have let a little hype seep into the squad - no mater how hard Gilroy tries.

On the other hand you've a wounded animal in Louth, with a great emotion driving them on. Someone mentioned Fitzer on about the replay and ref - forget about him. McEniff is the man to think about.
Imagine him speaking to the team - no better and shrewder man to turn the ship around and press the proper buttons on a team and motivate them properly.

The only caveat is that Louth have to start in 5th gear from the warm up. If they let Dublin settle they lose a huge home advantage. They need to get on top and run constantly for the first 15 minutes, not letting the Dublin back line know who they are marking and keep them chasing shadows get a few points on the board and drive on.
This will put pressure on Gilroy too on the line and I don't rate the Dublin backroom when it comes to working under pressure in a game.

If they can do that and drive it home they'll beat Dublin.

Won't be much in it, but they can.

heffo

Quote from: The Konica on July 23, 2010, 03:20:37 PM
they'll have let a little hype seep into the squad

After Dublin's meteoric run through the qualifiers, this was O'Connell st this morning

JMohan

Far right is Hectors new coffee house on O'Connell St

AZOffaly

Is it not Union Jacks rather than Stars and Stripes ye'd be waving? :D

heffo

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 23, 2010, 04:16:11 PM
Is it not Union Jacks rather than Stars and Stripes ye'd be waving? :D

I'll bow to the superior knowledge of a native of Kings County ;D