Dermot Earley Snr RIP

Started by Dinny Breen, June 23, 2010, 01:00:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

I think he stood out not just as a highly respected footballer but also in  terms of what he achieved in his career as the head of the Defence forces. 

Even today 30 years on you can feel the buzz from that 1980 match.

IolarCoisCuain

I don't think we'll read a more eloquent and moving tribute to Dermot Earley than the one Ross Matt wrote. God have mercy on Dermot Earley. A hero to so many, free of Earthly cares now. Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam uasal, agus suaimhneas síoraí ar a chroí dílis Gaelach.

LilySavage

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: muppet on June 23, 2010, 01:17:22 PM
http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0623/earleyd.html

A true Gaa legend.

I will always remember him being carried off shoulder high by Mayo players after his last game for Roscommon, I think it was the 1985 Connacht Final. I cannot think of another player that was afforded such a tribute by any opposition.

RIP.

Fantastic player, I only saw the end of his intercounty playing career in the flesh, but I was told that he was a legend by family who where older than me.

On the radio they said they could only remember it was only being done once before for an inter-county player, Christy Ring was lifted of the pitch by the Wexford backs. So Dermot is in good company.

RIP
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

mjg

As humble a man as youll ever meet as was evidend with his emontional speech when being honoured by roscommon county board in New york four years ago.Seven hundred people were in tears when he broke down an said it was his greatest day to be honoured by his own

Aerlik

Sad news about Dermot Earley.  A few years ago the armed forces came on a tour or Oz and came to Perth. Combined WA football and hurling games were arranged and afterwards my son and I got to meet the man himself.  He struck me by his incredible modesty and interest in what the exiles were doing over here and we chatted for about 15 minutes about life in rural Australia especially the desert country where I had been working.  My son had his wee AFL ball with him (as always) and Dermot got him to tell him all about footy, his favourite team and player.  I took a few pics and in years to come I'll show the lad the pics of the day he met one of the greatest players to play our game and lead our forces.  He was a fierce build of a man too.

Condolences to his family.
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

A Quinn Martin Production

Quite simply, one of the greats

RIP
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

boojangles

May he rest in peace. A true legend. As Croi na hEireann said, when you hear Roscommon mentioned my mind automatically springs to the picture of a tall,tanned and lean looking Dermot Earley.

Mid Down Gael

RIP. One off the greatest.

Rossfan

Despite knowing the great one was nearing the end I still cannot take it in that such a powerful legend of a man has gone from us.
Thanks for the memories Dermot ( esp that goal against Galway mentioned by Matt) and please God you'll guide our young lads and help them through their trials  as they try to restore Ros football to where it was in your day.
My condolences to Mary and the family.

Of him we can truly say " Ní bheidh a leithéid ann arís"
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

magickingdom

very sorry to hear this, its a name that has brought a smile to my face many times. may he rest in peace

stew

Quote from: armaghniac on June 23, 2010, 01:15:04 PM
A class player and an important leader. I first attended Croke Pk as a long haired teenager when Armagh played the two games against Roscommon and remember being impressed by Earley. RIP.

I was there as well and he, along with paddy Mo were the outstanding players, Early commanded respected, he earned it and he was truly one of the GAA greats.

RIP Dermot, we will not see many of your like again and we are poorer for your loss.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

spectator

We watched Dermot playing for Ros from the time we were first brought along as young kids to see Ros playing. Quite simply, he was our hero when we were growing up. When we'd go out kicking ball of an evening, which was more or less every evening, the player we always aspired to be was Dermot Earley.

I remember when I was about 8 or 9, the older brother remarked that I should start trying to kick with my left foot. I quickly laughed at very idea of it, but when he pointed out that Dermot Earley himself was as good with one foot as the other I immediately changed my mind. Well, I must have kicked my right shin black and blue in the process but, eventually, I somewhat mastered the aul left foot and damn proud I was to be a two footed player like our hero Dermot.

There are so many memories of Dermot's playing career it's impossible to recount them all, but suffice to say the older supporters will remember the big Ros flag emblazoned with 'Earley To Rise' at games during the seventies. It spoke volumes for the regard and pride Ros people had in Dermot. We were extremely proud of him and his achievements and always felt he could inspire us to greater things. He was a natural leader.

Whoever said 'you should never meet your heros' obviously hadn't Dermot in mind! He took a great interest in people and always made time for everyone. He'd chat away to you and take an interest in whatever you up to. Invariably, it'd turn out he knew some of your relations scattered in far-flung places abroad and he'd always be sure to ask after them. He was one of life's true gentlemen as well as being a sportsman of the highest calibre on the playing pitches.

It's a sad time for Rossies, both at home and abroad, who watched and followed Dermot's football and military careers. He was an iconic figure for us and his passing leaves a void in all our hearts. His contribution to Roscommon, Irish and International life will forever be recalled with warmth and pride not just by the present generations but also by many future generations of Rossies.

Beard

Very sad news. Dermot was a hero to Rossies everywhere and was the cornerstone of our finest side since the war. 

My sympathies to his family and friends. It should be some small consolation that their loss is shared amongst avery great number of admirers.

RIP

orangeman

Nice to read so many fantastic tributes to a legend of the game.