Down v Tyrone Ulster Championship- Setting The Record Straight !

Started by thegael, May 30, 2010, 08:03:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Worker

Match betting per PaddyPower:

Tyrone  4/9 
Draw  15/2 
Down  9/4 

Armaghgeddon

Obviously if it wasn't for Donegal's poor shooting they should have beaten Down convincingly. Something like 15 wides to Down's 4. Would not expect the same from Tyrone.

Tyrone to win by at least 5.

dodgy umpire

Quote from: The Worker on June 01, 2010, 09:41:50 PM
Quote from: tyronechap on June 01, 2010, 09:15:12 PM
just off topics chaps

but im from england and wanna come over to game but dont no where the game is gonna be held was just wondering to anyone shed any light on when the venue is gonna be released thanks

back on topic

i think tyrone are a stronger team all round yeaa down have coulter but tyrone are stronger in all positions

the only thing that will let tyrone down is themselves like they have so many times

if the tyrone team that play good football turn up they will win by 5-7 points

I dont think Tyrone are any stronger than Down in midfield, and I think that the Down management will be more than happy if its open, attacking game like the games in Omagh and Newry '08...

Down are stronger in midfield
The Boys in Red and Black are back

thewobbler

Stevie O'Neill is going to hit half-a-dozen points regardless of who is marking him, and Sean Cavanagh will chip in with a few. But there's no reason to think Down will get destroyed at midfield, so a 2003 or 2005 style turkey shoot should hopefully be out.  If we can keep it to 1.12 or so then our forwards should make a serious game of it.

So in my mind the key player in all of this is Eoin Mulligan.  He looked back to his sharpest against Antrim and has serious pedigree against the red and black. If he plays well (or is allowed to), Down are looking at chasing a tally of around 20 points, which ain't going to happen. 

Keep him at bay though and there shouldn't be a cigarette paper between the sides, especially if Ambrose is fit to contribute.

southdown

I am expecting a lot more from McComiskey against Tyrone. IMHO he has not really produced it for Down to date on a consistent basis, this would be a great game to prove what we all know he is capable of. 

wobbller

Quote from: southdown on June 02, 2010, 03:17:14 PM
I am expecting a lot more from McComiskey against Tyrone. IMHO he has not really produced it for Down to date on a consistent basis, this would be a great game to prove what we all know he is capable of.

I'd imagine Paul may not get the chance-he'll be more than likely be an impact Sub for this game.

southdown

Quote from: wobbller on June 02, 2010, 03:33:41 PM

I'd imagine Paul may not get the chance-he'll be more than likely be an impact Sub for this game.

Do you think James will deploy a more physical starting 15 than in Donegal?

dodgy umpire

Quote from: southdown on June 02, 2010, 03:41:16 PM
Quote from: wobbller on June 02, 2010, 03:33:41 PM

Do you think James will deploy a more physical starting 15 than in Donegal?
Maginn should start against Tyrone IMO and the only way to make room for him is to drop John Clarke or McComiskey, which is a tough call. In fairness to McComiskey he is not a half forward and I don't feel that he was given much of a chance against Donegal. John Clarke has been playing great stuff all year but his last two games haven't been up to standard.
The Boys in Red and Black are back

armaghniac

QuoteDo you think James will deploy a more physical starting 15 than in Donegal?

He'd do better to deploy a more spiritual 15 and have them say a few rosaries.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

guevara

Lets not forget Antrim could probably have run Tyrone a lot closer had they not gave up mid way through the first half in Casement. It was only when they introduced the two McGourty's did Tyrone look uncomfortable.

Down are stronger around Midfield in my opinion & if King produces another performance like Sundays it could provide the necessary ball for our forwards to go at Tyrone.
I wouldnt fear Colm Cavanagh at all but Kevin Hughes is a good player.
But whoever partners him in midfield needs to turn up.....Im just praying its a fully fit Ambrose as Gordon was a passenger in Ballybofey.
Joe McMahon will again be deployed in front of Benny to sweep up & I think this could be the winning of the game in how each team uses their sweeper to good effect.

Colgan hasnt impressed me at all so far & doesnt impact the game enough for effectively having no one to mark. Tyrone's thinking will be stop Coulter , stop Down & rightly so on Sundays showing.
Tyrone just seem to have more options up front with classy players in each forward line. They may not all go well but I  think on his day Stephen O'Neill is probably the most natuarally talented footballer in the Country. Outside of him you have Mulligan, Dooher, Cavanagh & Penrose are all very dangerous players capable of beating their man & taking scores whereas Down would struggle to name three of their forward line who could do this on a consistent basis.

McComiskey shouldnt start!! The fella has lived of his U-21 days for far too long already & can only be given so many chances. My other fear is Dan Gordon being put at the edge of the square just to accommodate him. Dont get me wrong the fella is a fantastic footballer. But I honestly think he isnt in good enough shape at the minute going on club games & the game against Donegal to warrant a place.

As mentioned already both teams will probably line out with a sweeper but Tyrone can be beaten. It just depends on the Down team that turns up......will they wait on Benny pulling them out of jail again or will other boys make their mark on a season that so far has been a very noticeable improvement on the past few years.
Time will tell...............................
"Some people want it to happen, some wish it would happen, others make it happen"

Michael Jordan

goldenyears

Seems to be a notion that Dan will start at 14
Good move I reckon

tyssam5

Quote from: goldenyears on June 02, 2010, 07:49:42 PM
Good move I reckon

We do have some slightly taller FB's than when he last did damage to us from FF. But as demonstrated by him and Clark last week, his flicks are dangerous from there and the delivery is obviously something they have worked on.

tyronechap

Quote from: Orior on June 01, 2010, 09:31:58 PM
Quote from: tyronechap on June 01, 2010, 09:15:12 PM
just off topics chaps

but im from england and wanna come over to game but dont no where the game is gonna be held was just wondering to anyone shed any light on when the venue is gonna be released thanks

back on topic

i think tyrone are a stronger team all round yeaa down have coulter but tyrone are stronger in all positions

the only thing that will let tyrone down is themselves like they have so many times

if the tyrone team that play good football turn up they will win by 5-7 points

Good man. Spread the word about our great game in England.

dont worry mate well spread over here lots of leagues and lots of games played every weekend

im that mad on it i have a tyrone tattoo gotta show my support as i cant ever weekend

thanks for the help everyone better get looking for flights

western exile

Quote from: goldenyears on June 02, 2010, 07:49:42 PM
Good move I reckon
It was more of a necessity v. Donegal as he was not winning any possession in midfield and management wanted (correctly) to move Benny Coulter out closer to the middle of park to regain possession.
If Marty Clarke plays on the HF line, then John Clarke should be given another chance at FF

Catch the high ball

GAA Board World Cup Sweepstake Winner 2010