Sligeach v Maigh Eo. 5ú Meitheamh 2010

Started by Farrandeelin, April 29, 2010, 09:09:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rosnarun

what so?  to  improve our team we select 8 new players every year . this is the kind dead head thinking that will leave mayo on the plateau they are on. a top 5 team unable to go any higher .
playerd once they get on to the mayo panel show be receiving a quality of coaching that would bring them on as players not back. that may well take time and improvement should be steady but constant . If AoSé is out on merit alone it s a terrible condemnation of the mayo management .
when a new player makes the team it should be because their claim to a place is irresistible  like SoSé  and varley did this year,  not because we run out of patience the management have allowed to slide back.
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Barney

It is a bizarre line-up in the forwards and you have to wonder where the scores will come from.

The half-forward is virtually a no-score zone.

There will be arguements that Andy Moran could run up a big score. Other than New York when has he ever scored big in championship.

We really need a Dillon or a Ronaldson to open up the forward line. That is where we will be weak. There is unlikely to be any fluency. There will be a huge reliance on Conor Mortimer and our frees will have to be spot on.

SLIGONIAN

Cant really have an opinion on Mayos team selection, never seen Varley or Freeman. But i am glad Dillon didnt make it.
Glad Trevor mort and SOS are in HF line, Andy moran might rack up scores in challenge games, but under the pressure of championship may find it different. Parsons is hit and miss all yr, Mcgarrity would be our main worry tbh. Yer backline isnt the worlds tightest either.

Sligo team yet too be named. Should be interesting but we certainly would not fear that mayo team at all.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

moysider

Yeah. It looks like we will have to dominate possession to get enough scores to win. then again it has often been that way. To be honest while our backs are tidy pacy types I would nt want to see them playing on their heels too much. They are choirboys compared to most intercounty championship backlines. In the cold light of day the half-back line as well as the ff line are just out of the wrapper. There is plenty of ability there but it is a leap of faith as well. We cant afford to anything except own the ball around midfield. Time also for the few leaders we have to stand up and be counted. All 3 or 4 of them.

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: Barney on June 02, 2010, 10:01:20 PM
It is a bizarre line-up in the forwards and you have to wonder where the scores will come from.

There will be arguements that Andy Moran could run up a big score. Other than New York when has he ever scored big in championship.

We really need a Dillon or a Ronaldson to open up the forward line. That is where we will be weak. There is unlikely to be any fluency. There will be a huge reliance on Conor Mortimer and our frees will have to be spot on.

I think you're on the money here Barney. It's back to the past with huge reliance on Conor to rack up the scores. Best of luck to them all but Jesus, Saturday looks more and more like a day for dogs of war. The RTÉ panel aren't going to enjoy it.

REDCOL

It looks like we are in for a battle on Saturday, Kilcoyne and Dillon are two huge losses. But we need to step up to the plate and back the lads that are playing.

rosnarun

Freeman is probably brought in for his scoring prowess and varley know where the goal is too so add that to few from parsons oSe vaughan mcloughlin ect  i think we have as much fire power as we ever have
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

moysider

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on June 02, 2010, 10:16:30 PM
Cant really have an opinion on Mayos team selection, never seen Varley or Freeman. But i am glad Dillon didnt make it.
Glad Trevor mort and SOS are in HF line, Andy moran might rack up scores in challenge games, but under the pressure of championship may find it different. Parsons is hit and miss all yr, Mcgarrity would be our main worry tbh. Yer backline isnt the worlds tightest either.

Sligo team yet too be named. Should be interesting but we certainly would not fear that mayo team at all.

That s what I thought. I reckon Kevin Walsh can hardly believe his eyes either. He had to be preparing for the 2 big men. I wrote weeks ago that 2 smaller corner forwards would be playing into Sligo hands. But we ll have to wait and see. To be honest Freeman may well be the best to go with Moran injured. He s quick and I would hope he can pull McGuire about and leave space in behind. He may well play on the point with 2 inside and Trevor playing deep.

Trevor should be told to stop kicking so much ball. The deliveries inside should come from Moran, Parsons, O Sé and McL. McGarrity needs to stop kicking frees to the opposition as well and leave the frees to fellas who can kick the ball. After Liam and DB he is in a line of poor kickers who insisted in slowing down the game and taking frees instead of making themselves available to receive a quick short one themselves. Is it too much to expect that our management will have sorted this shit out by now?

saffronandblue

What a team to have built after 4 years of trying........there isn't a half decent club team that would fear the Mayo forward line.  We are going backwards so quickly under ALL of this current management team.  It looks like a joke of a team, I only hope it is a joke.  Imagine if we were heading out to play Kerry or Cork with this team......Mayo God Help Us.

ballinaman

Barry Moran injured?....no abbreviations for me this time....for fuuuck sake... :-\

moysider

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on June 02, 2010, 10:32:07 PM
Quote from: Barney on June 02, 2010, 10:01:20 PM

I think you're on the money here Barney. It's back to the past with huge reliance on Conor to rack up the scores. Best of luck to them all but Jesus, Saturday looks more and more like a day for dogs of war. The RTÉ panel aren't going to enjoy it.

f**k the RTE panel. Anyway this could be one of the games of the Summer. Besides it is our championship. All we want is our team to win. As regards reliance on Conor - doesn't have to be that way. Varley and Freeman are scorers. If they get ball they will score. Our problem is getting good ball into them in space. We have nt been good at coaching our inside forward lines so our best success in years was putting two giants in there. The next day will need more craft - if we have any. We need Varley and Conoreen in space inside. If we play a stagnant flat 3 inside and just hoof ball in we re fucked to be honest.

We can also score a bit off our running game. Vaughan, McLoughlin, Cuniffe, Parsons, O Sé, Andy and even the corner backs can end up on the end of things. In fact the more I think of it the running game is the way we will probably go. I expect we will go with five forwards with 13 and 15 making runs from inside out and runners coming through the middle and down the wings. What are the odds on Tom Parsons for first goal?

I d suspect we might set up as follows.

Clarke

Barrett                                    Caff                                Higgins

Vaughan                                 Cunniffe                          McLoughlin

McGar                                          Parsons
                                                 Trev

Andy                                          O  Sé
                                                 Freeman

Conoreen                       Varley

RedandGreenSniper

Poor oul Barry must have muscle fibres on him like old elastic bands. I'd say he gets injured getting out of bed in the morning.

I've great time for both Freeman and Varley and think both were in line for a call-up. But it is a gamble going with both of them. Think we're playing into Sligo's hands, given that their best line is their full-back line, by playing two debutants in the full-forward line. Hope I'm wrong. But I think Mortimer/O'Shea and Freeman OR Varley would work better. Guess we can't rule out Moran as an eleventh hour starter either.

I won't go into talking about how much of a loss Dillon is because I want to sleep tonight.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Lar Naparka

First things first; welcome to MayoGAA. It's nice to see a new arrival on the board.
With regard to the team selected, I'd be happy enough with those chosen from Clarkie out to midfield.
The attack is interesting- to put it mildly.
Given the number of challenge matches and AvBs they were put through, I'd say Johnno is going on current form- plus injury considerations of course. Overall, he has often picked worse combinations upfront. My reservation is that I cannot see a natural leader amongst them. It was bad enough when Aiden O'Sé was expected to set the standard for others who were up to 10 years older than him but there is no Aiden there for Saturday.
It's the sort of game where leaders are waiting to be born, as Liam Hayes said about our game against Meath last season. Well, he got that one wrong but maybe things will be different come Saturday. ;D
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

moysider

Quote from: saffronandblue on June 02, 2010, 10:45:58 PM
What a team to have built after 4 years of trying........there isn't a half decent club team that would fear the Mayo forward line.  We are going backwards so quickly under ALL of this current management team.  It looks like a joke of a team, I only hope it is a joke.  Imagine if we were heading out to play Kerry or Cork with this team......Mayo God Help Us.

I take it you re not impressed. Would you not cut him a bit of slack for injuries itself? You realise of course that if we progress that we will be going out v Cork or Kerry with this team- if we get that far? I mean what other team is there?

stephenite

When was the last time a Mayo team lined out in a championship match without a Crossmolina man in the starting line up? Has to a fair while back I'd imagine