Sligeach v Maigh Eo. 5ú Meitheamh 2010

Started by Farrandeelin, April 29, 2010, 09:09:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

macedoniaexile

I feel sorry for Sligo supporters as I feel they have been lulled into a false sense of security, they are a long way behind Mayo and will be lucky to keep the defeat under five points. Sligo in my opinion are not near as good as people are making them out to be.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: macedoniaexile on May 19, 2010, 01:13:50 PM
I feel sorry for Sligo supporters as I feel they have been lulled into a false sense of security, they are a long way behind Mayo and will be lucky to keep the defeat under five points. Sligo in my opinion are not near as good as people are making them out to be.

As far im concerned, the above is the deep down opinion of every mayo person, although few will admit it. Fair play to ya posting that.

Just out of interest how familiar are with Sligo?
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

ballinaman

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on May 19, 2010, 01:28:52 PM

As far im concerned, the above is the deep down opinion of every mayo person, although few will admit it. Fair play to ya posting that.

Me bollix it's the opinion of every Mayo supporter, it's not mine so that rules out the "every" Mayo supporter statement, there might be some alright. There are always supporters in each county who fail to recognise their own counties limitations and the opposing counties capabilities.

I've been to countless Mayo matches where supporters from both sides don't know half the players on the opposite side. Fact is, Sligo have some serious players and if they play well, they a match for any county. Same can be said about Mayo as well though.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: ballinaman on May 19, 2010, 01:50:14 PM

Me bollix it's the opinion of every Mayo supporter, it's not mine so that rules out the "every" Mayo supporter statement, there might be some alright. There are always supporters in each county who fail to recognise their own counties limitations and the opposing counties capabilities.

I've been to countless Mayo matches where supporters from both sides don't know half the players on the opposite side. Fact is, Sligo have some serious players and if they play well, they a match for any county. Same can be said about Mayo as well though.
Funny thing when I said the above to my Dad there, he was suprised, "he said only 5pts, jees we'll be lucky to keep it to 10pts" ;), in all fairness ballinaman, i just feel mayo fans would take a 1pt win but are expecting it to be more comfortable. As for the false sense of securit from a Sligo viewpoint, we are confident and believe we will win, but for us to win, we have to have a fair ref, bring a huge workrate, intensity to the game to even have a chance. We know its a huge task and in sport no guarntees. We dont beat mayo too often but its all on the day.

ballinaman

Yep, it's all on the day. What league divison both teams were playing in won't matter a shite when it comes to throw in. If Sligo bring A game, it'll be a tough game the will go down to the wire. If both teams play well, i think Mayo will shade it..just, a point or two max. If Mayo have a bad day which they are more than capable of doing, Sligo have a right good chance.

Barney

Sligonian is right - the vast majority of Mayo supporters do not fear or greatly respect Sligo at any level at any time. Many counties have the same view of Mayo and see us as an easy route to a morale boosting win. I don't think we will win by 5 but 2 or 3 will do the job. I think we would win by between 5 and 7 if the game was in Castlebar.

SLIGONIAN

And if the game was in Croke Park Sligo would win by 8/9pts :D

rosnarun

sligonian
the only way to get that respect is to actually beat mayo more than once , once could be a fluke . but untill them mayo fans will be getting ready for galway
maybe my OCD is acting up but this is the team i now wat to see for mayo
                                       Clarke

Barrett                             Cafferkey                        Higgins.

Vaughan/Gardiner          Cuniffe/Vaughan                McLoughlin

Parsons                    Mcgarrity

mort                                O Sé                               Moran

mort                                O Se                               Moran.
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

criostlinn

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on May 19, 2010, 12:04:36 PM
From Hoganstand

Donal Vaughan, Tom Parsons and captain Trevor Mortimer are among Mayo's walking wounded at present.

Vaughan and Parsons picked up groin injuries in the Westerners' 0-13 to 0-4 senior football challenge win over Cavan in Belmullet last Saturday, while Mortimer missed the game with a 'dead leg'. Alan Feeney was another notable absentee due to an ankle problem, while Alan Freeman was substituted shortly after his introduction after picking up a knock.

Meanwhile, Aidan Kilcoyne left the field during the second half of Knockmore's league victory over Charlestown on Sunday after picking up a nasty cut on his knee, while Alan Dillon was substituted during Ballintubber's league game with a hamstring problem.

Not surprisingly, manager John O'Mahony is hoping all the injuries will have cleared up before Mayo's Connacht SFC quarter-final against Sligo on June 5.

Trevor started in last nights match, but was taken off in the second half. Vaughan and Parsons didn't play. 

Aidan O'Se started in centre half forward but was taken of at half time. Seamus played midfield but moved centre half forward at half time. Aidan came back on with 10 min to go and played midfield.

ross4life

Quote from: rosnarun on May 19, 2010, 07:02:32 PM
sligonian
the only way to get that respect is to actually beat mayo more than once , once could be a fluke . but untill them mayo fans will be getting ready for galway

Same could be said about Mayo v kerry, i'm sure they think 1996 was just a fluke also

If the Mayo players/management are thinking "Galway" they are in for a shock
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Farrandeelin

Kilcoyne won't be back in time for this game I'm afraid. He'll struggle to make it back for the Ballina game the following week.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

moysider

sligonian
                                       Clarke

OCD or not rosnarun that is very close to the team I think Johnno is shaping up to put out. Only thing I was in a bit of a kerfuffle and forgot to include Dillon. Did you deliberately leave him out? If so why?

moysider

Where is this poster macedoniaexile from I wonder. Not that it matters anyway. I doubt if you care what Mayo people think Sligonian. You should nt. The only thing that matters to me about this game is how we perform.  Ok, it s Sligo and these games in Markievicz Park go back a long time for me and they mean a lot ( try telling that to those that are trying to get rid of the provincial championship). Much as I respect Sligo, I expect Mayo to perform and win but we have to be right to do this.. Bad and all as our league final looked I dont think that it will be a bearing on this one. I expect that we will have enough possession to dictate the game.

This is a huge game for Mayo. I think myself it is a game we can and need to win. I dont do much in predicting winning  margins and stuff anymore because I ve learned from bitter experience that in Mayo it s better to wait and see what happens and enjoy the ride in the better times. I would nt be bullish about our chances however in Markievicz Park. But I expect us to eat the grass in this one and leave nothing in the tank. That s not too much to expect.
I d be more optimistic about our chances for the Summer now. The league final happened but the management has to be commended for getting so many games in since and over next few weeks. Players move on and playing games is the best cure.This optimism is dependant on the continuing fitness of key players however. We re talking likes of Clarke, 2XO Sé, Kevin McL, McGar( an interested and fit
McGar means more leeway and less presssure on Parsons and O Sé ), Dillon and Barry Moran. If I was Johnno I d have every relative I have doing novenas for the continued fitness of Barry Moran. Key player for us. Barry and AOS reduced the Ros back line to a wreck in minutes last year. Johnno knows he has to repeat that everytime we play championship if we're to go anywhere. I expect Aidan and Barry to be the focus of our game. Crucially it will mean it we will have more opportunity to play our natural running game better as well because the big lads will pin markers and maybe a sweeper well back. Nobody talking about Harte now but if we survive early rounds he will become an important player for us.

magpie seanie

sligonian
                                       Clarke

Great symmetry to that forward line surely!

rosnarun

Quote from: moysider on May 19, 2010, 08:54:34 PM
sligonian
                                       Clarke

OCD or not rosnarun that is very close to the team I think Johnno is shaping up to put out. Only thing I was in a bit of a kerfuffle and forgot to include Dillon. Did you deliberately leave him out? If so why?

because he would have ruined most symmetrical forward unit ever
id being him in  just after the throw in . dillion and aos are probably the only 2 sure of starting in the forwards . i think the forwrd unit will be
dillon                                O se                              harte
B moran                           O Se                              A Moran
bbut id have
dillon                               ronaldson                         kilcoyne
C mort                            B moran                           O Se             

hate to leave andy out i can see why JOM played him in the backs last year  trevor too but kilcoyne give greater scoring power               
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere