Sligeach v Maigh Eo. 5ú Meitheamh 2010

Started by Farrandeelin, April 29, 2010, 09:09:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

criostlinn

I didn't miss your point. I was just making one of my own.

This trip to Portugal was the players idea and was only organised a couple of weeks before it was cancelled.

I'm just wondering what the point of a trip to Portugal or Carton House for that matter is at this stage of the season. Why can this kind of training not be done at home. I would expect any training camp be built into the schedule at the start of the season. Not an of the cuff decision by the players a few weeks before the championship.

AbbeySider

As was said in previous posts, I cant really fault or blame the players after last weekends performance as I wouldnt blame any them for losing heart if they have no faith in the man at the helm. Normally I would be one of the first to jump on players individually but really, last Saturday we could have used 13 subs so when it goes so wrong you have to ask questions.

It was two years ago when I heard rumours that JOM had lost the dressing room and its obvious from Mayo's performances that its true. There was rumblings JOM had brought nothing new to the set-up and the players could see past the cliche ridden waffle talk.

But aside from that, JOM's performance has finally driven home the point that he is not the tactician that he was made out to be and is certainly not the Messiah we had all hoped for after his "second coming".

A lot of the tactical mistakes have already been pointed out but IMO BJP should not have been coming on to replace SOS who was doing more foraging and trying harder than Parsons. My move would have been to Move SOS to midfield for Parsons and leave Parsons at 11 or take him off altogether for Dillon.

It would be easy for me to tear BJP and Cunniffe apart but I no longer blame them. Its not their fault that they were asked onto the panel, let alone play. Its total naiveity on O Mahoneys part to expect either of the to be up to it.

Cunniffe has hardly kicked a ball in 2.5 years due to injury and being in college in England. Even in the last year he would have had no more than a handful of competitive club games let alone have the sharpness for the county scene. WTF was O Mahoney thinking when he was putting him CB for Mayo in championship. I looked back over the video since I came home from the game and he was like a duck out of water. Blocked down three times, giving it away etc. I dont blame him personally but in no way was it fair to him. We have 43 clubs in Mayo, surely there is a CB in one of those clubs. IMO the Kilcullens should be there plugging those holes but JOM doent seem to rate them.

As regards BJP, I have no idea why he came on, let alone why SOS went off so early. We needed SOS around the middle but when BJP came on we lost a bit of height and options for a kick-out. I thought it was a harsh decision. But an even crazier decision was bringing back BJP into the panel - only a couple of months ago! (I have my own theories though). One of my main gripes is that he would have had no pre-season stuff done and im not sure what he has to offer any more. Why throw in a fella like that on top of the fire? Is he such a prolific scorer or play maker? I wondered too why Dillon didnt get the nod.

As well as the above examples of messing around with players, I will never forget what JOM did to Parsons against Meath. Throwing him in full forward (where he never played in his life), only to hawl him off after a few minutes, and then to put him on again at midfield. Crazy stuff you wouldn't see at an U14 game.

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: AbbeySider on June 08, 2010, 03:39:39 PM
As was said in previous posts, I cant really fault or blame the players after last weekends performance as I wouldnt blame any them for losing heart if they have no faith in the man at the helm. Normally I would be one of the first to jump on players individually but really, last Saturday we could have used 13 subs so when it goes so wrong you have to ask questions.

It was two years ago when I heard rumours that JOM had lost the dressing room and its obvious from Mayo's performances that its true. There was rumblings JOM had brought nothing new to the set-up and the players could see past the cliche ridden waffle talk.

But aside from that, JOM's performance has finally driven home the point that he is not the tactician that he was made out to be and is certainly not the Messiah we had all hoped for after his "second coming".

A lot of the tactical mistakes have already been pointed out but IMO BJP should not have been coming on to replace SOS who was doing more foraging and trying harder than Parsons. My move would have been to Move SOS to midfield for Parsons and leave Parsons at 11 or take him off altogether for Dillon.

It would be easy for me to tear BJP and Cunniffe apart but I no longer blame them. Its not their fault that they were asked onto the panel, let alone play. Its total naiveity on O Mahoneys part to expect either of the to be up to it.

Cunniffe has hardly kicked a ball in 2.5 years due to injury and being in college in England. Even in the last year he would have had no more than a handful of competitive club games let alone have the sharpness for the county scene. WTF was O Mahoney thinking when he was putting him CB for Mayo in championship. I looked back over the video since I came home from the game and he was like a duck out of water. Blocked down three times, giving it away etc. I dont blame him personally but in no way was it fair to him. We have 43 clubs in Mayo, surely there is a CB in one of those clubs. IMO the Kilcullens should be there plugging those holes but JOM doent seem to rate them.

As regards BJP, I have no idea why he came on, let alone why SOS went off so early. We needed SOS around the middle but when BJP came on we lost a bit of height and options for a kick-out. I thought it was a harsh decision. But an even crazier decision was bringing back BJP into the panel - only a couple of months ago! (I have my own theories though). One of my main gripes is that he would have had no pre-season stuff done and im not sure what he has to offer any more. Why throw in a fella like that on top of the fire? Is he such a prolific scorer or play maker? I wondered too why Dillon didnt get the nod.

As well as the above examples of messing around with players, I will never forget what JOM did to Parsons against Meath. Throwing him in full forward (where he never played in his life), only to hawl him off after a few minutes, and then to put him on again at midfield. Crazy stuff you wouldn't see at an U14 game.

Couldn't agree with you more AS. Although I do believe Dillon was not fit to come on. Presumably you have the inside line? That's shocking if it's true.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Chimley

There's definately a book to be written about what is going on inside that Mayo camp I am sure. We have gone from a team that looked like one of the main contenders for honours this year to hopeless cases in the space of two games of football. A trip to Portugal may have given the lads a nice tan to show off last weekend but it wasn't the difference between winning and losing to Sligo. Even if they found extra metres rather than millimetres we still would not have been within an asses roar of winning that game.

rosnarun

QuoteI recently listened to Trevor Mortimer and Paeder Gardiner selling tickets to pay for a future training camp. Come on lads gives us a break. I dont know how many days were spent in Carton House a couple of weeks ago, but if Saturday was the result of it, well need I say more. These lads think they are f**king Real Madrid.

you think ronaldo go around selling raffle ticket . none of us are happy but talking shite abot the players hardly helps.
for about the 10th time here i say JOM was the wrong man in the wrong place at the wrong time for the wrong reason.
What you sow you reap
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

criostlinn

Quote from: rosnarun on June 08, 2010, 10:42:39 PM
QuoteI recently listened to Trevor Mortimer and Peadar Gardiner selling tickets to pay for a future training camp. Come on lads gives us a break. I don't know how many days were spent in Carton House a couple of weeks ago, but if Saturday was the result of it, well need I say more. These lads think they are f**king Real Madrid.

you think ronaldo go around selling raffle ticket . none of us are happy but talking shite abot the players hardly helps.
for about the 10th time here i say JOM was the wrong man in the wrong place at the wrong time for the wrong reason.
What you sow you reap

I'm not talking about these two players in particular they were only spokesmen for the team. Can you not see how ridiculous it is for a team to be trying to organise a training camp in Portugal for some stage later in the season 3 weeks before the Sligo game. What are they thinking of and how come somebody didnt try and stop it.

muppet

Quote from: criostlinn on June 08, 2010, 11:18:46 PM
Quote from: rosnarun on June 08, 2010, 10:42:39 PM
QuoteI recently listened to Trevor Mortimer and Peadar Gardiner selling tickets to pay for a future training camp. Come on lads gives us a break. I don't know how many days were spent in Carton House a couple of weeks ago, but if Saturday was the result of it, well need I say more. These lads think they are f**king Real Madrid.

What you sow you reap

I'm not talking about these two players in particular they were only spokesmen for the team. Can you not see how ridiculous it is for a team to be trying to organise a training camp in Portugal for some stage later in the season 3 weeks before the Sligo game. What are they thinking of and how come somebody didnt try and stop it.

Eh.....it was stopped.

And those two players were around in 2004 when a week in the Catskills after the NY game was credited for uniting the squad in way months of running in Mayo couldn't.
MWWSI 2017

criostlinn

Eh. No it wasn't. Postponed till later in the season and fundraising event in Claremorris golf club was to help pay for it

mannix

did you see db s piece on the sunday world, he reckons its good to hate your opponent on matchday, i thought i was the only one, i despise roscommon,galway,dublin,kerry and all on matchday, however sligo is the strange exception, never could hate them for some reason.
Complacency?

muppet

Quote from: criostlinn on June 08, 2010, 11:28:56 PM
Eh. No it wasn't. Postponed till later in the season and fundraising event in Claremorris golf club was to help pay for it

The trip was stopped.

Would you object to the lads raising money say for Goal 3 weeks before a game?

Do you think players should be banned from all fundraising 3 weeks before matches? Or just for trips that you disagree with?

MWWSI 2017

criostlinn

Ffs. You accused me of missing your point earlier. I have no problem with the fundraising.

Again. The trip was postponed and they were planning to go later depending how they progressed.

muppet

Quote from: criostlinn on June 08, 2010, 11:58:37 PM
Ffs. You accused me of missing your point earlier. I have no problem with the fundraising.

Again. The trip was postponed and they were planning to go later depending how they progressed.

QuoteWhat are they thinking of and how come somebody didnt try and stop it

Obviously you did have a problem with it. Also saying it was postponed is a slight over-simplification don't you think?
MWWSI 2017

rosnarun

the problem the last day was far bigger than the quality of the players . we know they are of a much higher quality than we saw last week. but when you fail to beat the sligo's of this world you are in serious trouble. its a problem of team spirit one which a trip away may have helped .
not one that is help by petty begrudgery  by people proclaiming to be supporters
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

AbbeySider

Quote from: mannix on June 08, 2010, 11:36:39 PM
did you see db s piece on the sunday world, he reckons its good to hate your opponent on matchday, i thought i was the only one, i despise roscommon,galway,dublin,kerry and all on matchday, however sligo is the strange exception, never could hate them for some reason.
Complacency?

I think he was more talking about the opposition you are playing.
Actually playing against not necessarily as a spectator.

AbbeySider

Quote from: rosnarun on June 09, 2010, 12:40:40 AM
the problem the last day was far bigger than the quality of the players . we know they are of a much higher quality than we saw last week. but when you fail to beat the sligo's of this world you are in serious trouble. its a problem of team spirit one which a trip away may have helped .
not one that is help by petty begrudgery  by people proclaiming to be supporters

I dont want to open a can of worms but there is also guys on the team from certain clubs that dont get on at all (and havnt done for some time). Surely that would add to tensions.