Derry v Armagh Championship

Started by bennydorano, April 28, 2010, 10:35:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bennydorano

Personally I dont think defeat here for Armagh would be a disaster - as long as it's not a tanking, I know there's probably an Ulster there for the taking with Tyrone no longer looking untouchable but longterm it would do us no harm.  I dont think anyone in Armagh is getting carried away with our progress, but most people would still have Derry a fair bit ahead of us in development.

Can't see too many changes from the Armagh team that lined out v Down, with Ronan clarke looking unlikely to feature v Derry there's 2 positions available in the forward line.  Barring injuries :-
                Hearty
Mallon       donaghy           Shannon
Duffy        McKeever         F Mo
  Toner       Lavery
Vernon      A Kernan        Swift
???           McDonnell       ??

There's normally one suprise every year come championship, could be Jamie Clarke this year.  If not, I'd go for Forker and Brian Mallon.       

saffron sam2

I think the Derry championship is better. By better I mean more wide open. In the past few years Bellaghy, Glenullen, Slaghtneil, Ballinderry and the Loup have all won it. In Armagh, Crossmaglen has won what seems to be 75 out of the last 76 titles. I would still fancy Cross to beat the Derry champions though, but for interest and novelty value the Oakleafers shade it.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

armaghniac

While a defeat shouldn't be fatal for Armagh, in recent years we've had defeats which weren't disasters in the first round Donegal '07 and Tyrone '09, but we still couldn't raise it for the first qualifier game.

Both Forker and Jamie Clarke looked to have potential on their cameo appearances.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

TacadoirArdMhacha

I'd throw Jamie Clarke in. It looks like Mallon, Forker, Henderson and Clarke fitting for 2 spots assuming he keeps faith with James Lavery. The first 3 haven't done enough to nail down a starting spot during the League so I'd be tempted to take a chance with Clarke.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

oakleafgael

The only positive that Derry can grasp at is the home advantage. We haven't one line on the team that is settled which isn't promising so close to the championship. The form of Fergal Doherty and Paddy Bradley is very worrying. I can see us struggling around midfield as we have no one who can consistently win breaking ball.

whiskeysteve

Quote from: bennydorano on April 28, 2010, 10:35:03 PM
I dont think anyone in Armagh is getting carried away with our progress, but most people would still have Derry a fair bit ahead of us in development.

I very much doubt that. Derry have made no progress from winning the national league in 2008.

In championship terms Derry have developed nothing for a decade.

And in case you missed our national league form this year... woeful...
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

illdecide

It looks like a case of both sides trying to play down their chances here :D :D. We all know come championship time both teams will be well prepared and anyone who was struggling earlier in the year will have a spring in their step come the match. The two teams look quite even to me and for me it'll be whoever wants it the most will win it (ohh and a we slice of luck too) ;)
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

brokencrossbar1

I love the Oak Leaf lads codology already, no midfield, Paddy playing poorly, no settled team. :D  They will rightly be going in as favourites as they are a more experienced battle hardened team, whereas Armagh are still a WIP with new, young players stepping up to add to a decent core of a team.

I would think the team will be as benny posted with Mallon in and maybe Forker in the absence of Clarke.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Bookies price it up 10/11 Derry 11/10 Armagh. I think that's about right. Pretty much a 50 / 50 game that is likely to hinge on a few key decisions / moments of brilliance from either side.

What's Derry's record like at Celtic Park? Would youse consider yourself pretty strong at home?

Oakleafer1993

Have Armagh ever beaten Derry in celtic Park?

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: Oakleafer1993 on April 29, 2010, 01:57:52 PM
Have Armagh ever beaten Derry in celtic Park?

Well I don't think there would have been that many matches in recent years. There was that championship hammering in mid 90s - 1995 or 1996? And then a comprehensive enough defeat in the League a few years back under Large Joseph. Possibly 2007?

Overthebar!

why is everyone sitting on the fence here? strangely confident of a victory for a change. derry by 5 points....

Logan

I think Derry will win, but certainly not by 5
2 point Derry win

Logan

Quote from: oakleaflad on April 29, 2010, 04:23:58 PM
could anyone hazard a guess at the derry team?
No!

Look at last year ... there was no sense to some positions.
Should be a bit better this year - but after 20 minutes positions won't matter much, it'll be mano et mano