Champions League Semi Finals Barca v Inter/B Munich V Lyon

Started by magickingdom, April 20, 2010, 07:42:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

Quote from: BennyHarp on April 29, 2010, 12:45:09 PM
Quote from: Main Street on April 29, 2010, 12:41:40 PM
Quote from: Billys Boots on April 29, 2010, 10:23:50 AM
Quotea typical Italian team

I'd have said they're a typical Mourinho team, rather than Italian (though there are some common characteristics).  They certainly knew how to play the ref.  I thought they were lucky not to concede a few penalties last night - Lucio seemed to be continually putting his hand on the back of attackers while jumping.

It was a classic Italian Catenaccio, brilliantly executed by excellent defenders, but brought to cynical ugly extremes (the Mourinho factor) with things like time wasting from the first minute.

Not much in it at the end, Barca's disallowed second goal was a close enough call.

Except it was a Portugese manager and no Italian players?

Doesn't matter where the players are from, they played the Cantanaccio to a tee. The Mourinho factor I mentioned.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Billys Boots on April 29, 2010, 09:36:36 AM
It was extremely poor to watch; the possession statistics tell it all - Inter weren't interested in playing. For the last 30 mins, everytime I counted they had all their players behind a line 30m from their own goal. 

Can you blame them? They were down to 10 men for 70 minutes away to the European Champions. At that stage it is all about holding onto what they had.

Boycey

Think a few on here are being a little "ungenerous" towards José and Inter. They proved against Chelsea and in the first leg against Barca that they can play football when they need to. Last night they went into an away second leg 3-1 up of course they were gonna keep it tight and waste time. Then they go down to 10 men after 30 minutes, a little harshly in my eyes, it was never gonna be pretty. Had it remained 11 v 11 I'd of fancied them to nick a goal in the second half as Barca pushed forward..

Maybe Barca are mere mortals like the rest of us

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: David McKeown on April 29, 2010, 01:00:23 AM
Is he not widely known to want the Utd job and therefore is likely to want to hang on somewhere for a season or two to wait for Fergie to leave?

Only on United forums.

Billys Boots

If you had taken the time to read my previous posts, you would know that I'm not being 'harsh' on Inter - they played their football when it suited them, in the first leg.  It was up to Barcelona to take the initiative last night, and Inter did enough to prevent them doing that.

What we were discussing was the application of the old Italian cattenaccio 'system' by a non-Italian manager, with non-Italian players.  Main St. reckons the Mourinho 'variation' is even more cynical than the original - I'd be inclined to agree somewhat, though this modern version is less physical.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

AZOffaly

I think what they have lost in hacking opponents limbs off, they have gained in feigning injury, time wasting and general cynicism. I criticised Barcelona's antics in the first half last night. Inter were no better. Jaysus if Lucio was as injured as he let on to be he'd be put down today. He spent more time on his arse than on his feet.

I thought it was a terrible advert for soccer, just when I was building up anticipation for the World Cup as well. Very disappointing.

I think Dunphy got it right last night.

Declan

QuoteI thought it was a terrible advert for soccer, just when I was building up anticipation for the World Cup as well. Very disappointing.

Agreed. I know refs get calls wrong but if lads are trying to con them the whole time then it's nearly impossible for them to tell the difference between a real foul and a dive

Main Street

Quote from: Billys Boots on April 29, 2010, 01:09:16 PM
I'd be inclined to agree somewhat, though this modern version is less physical.
Not much room for the overt physicals these days.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 29, 2010, 01:12:16 PM
I think what they have lost in hacking opponents limbs off, they have gained in feigning injury, time wasting and general cynicism. I criticised Barcelona's antics in the first half last night. Inter were no better. Jaysus if Lucio was as injured as he let on to be he'd be put down today. He spent more time on his arse than on his feet.

I thought it was a terrible advert for soccer, just when I was building up anticipation for the World Cup as well. Very disappointing.

I think Dunphy got it right last night.

While I do not disagree with you you have to factor in the fact that they were playing for a place in a CL Final, defending a lead against one of best, if not the best, attacking team in Europe.  Moratti obviously had the instructions out to Jose ealry on that there was no way they were going to lose the tie and who can blame them.

The biggest disappointment for me was the way Barca played the game.  The had no real cutting edge and they looked to Messi the whole time to create the chances without really spreading the ball and creating the space.  Also they were unlucky with some dubious decions, ie handball, but were also m,asters of their won downfall. 

I reckon the Final could be a decent game as they are bothe technically good teams with a number of excellent ball players.  It won't be a 4-3 game but will still be an exciting game I reckon.

Main Street

Quote from: Boycey on April 29, 2010, 01:01:18 PM
Think a few on here are being a little "ungenerous" towards José and Inter. They proved against Chelsea and in the first leg against Barca that they can play football when they need to. Last night they went into an away second leg 3-1 up of course they were gonna keep it tight and waste time. Then they go down to 10 men after 30 minutes, a little harshly in my eyes, it was never gonna be pretty. Had it remained 11 v 11 I'd of fancied them to nick a goal in the second half as Barca pushed forward..

Maybe Barca are mere mortals like the rest of us
After the first leg I said that Inter were the best team Barca have played in years.

Inter in the first leg reminded me of Charlton's Ireland, keep it tight at the back and hit it long into the corners for the forwards to chase. They were fortunate enough to be 2 goals ahead but overall they had created the better clear cut chances.

Barca can get beaten as we have seen. Even Celtic beat them over 2 legs but I doubt if there was one deluded Celtic fan who actually thought that by stopping Barca at the Camp Nou, they were a better team.

AZOffaly

I don't have a problem with defending, and defending in depth. Especially down to 10 men. They did the scoring in Milan, and it was up to Barca to break them down. That's as much part of the game as attacking.

What disappointed me in such a marquee game was the unadulturated cheating by both sets of players all throughout the game. I thought Barca were worse in the first half, although Alves' dive in the second half was puce (like the one he did in Milan), while Inter were abysmal in the second half.

just a very disappointing spectacle for two of the best teams in Europe.  And Barca did themselves no favours whatsoever in terms of the charm offensive they have launched all over Europe. 'Més que un club' indeed.

gallsman

Ronnie Whelan earned his pay last night by informing us all of the previously unknown fact that Italian teams have historically been associated with good defending.

Billys Boots

QuoteThe had no real cutting edge

In fairness, Inter had the cheek to refuse to come out with the ball even in possession - with the result that Barcelona were allowed to run up to 30m from goal completely unchallenged.  Shooting from distance didn't seem to be in their repertoire last night to do so - it was the only obvious chink in the Inter defence strategy.  I'd have thought that they needed to pressurise the full-backs and drop the Inter defence a little further back, while lining up their big hitters (Xavi and Alves) to strike pull-backs or clearances from 25m.  It never happened.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Main Street

You are cup half empty guy AZ :)

Barca have brought the game of total football to new levels these last 3 seasons, providing long stretches of pure creativity never before seen. They have literally destroyed class teams, ripped them apart with their brilliance. They are not perfect, at least not yet. It's pretty scary to see where they can go, if they can build on this team.

bingobus

Forgot to add, Ibrahomivic (sp) showed last night why many thought Barca where mad to pay such money for him. He was completely ineffective and knocked down easier than Ronon O'Gara!