Just how valuable is your...............................

Started by cadhlancian, April 15, 2010, 02:10:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cadhlancian

exactly fox!, Thats my point I think!.......wouldn't Kerrys Sub keeper have saved that? I'm not talking about one off incidents.

longrunsthefox

Aye but there are other saves that had  a big bearing on seasons that the sub keepers probably wouldn't have made.  They are in earlier posts in this thread. 

RedandGreenSniper

Besides, too much is made of the fact that Sligo would have won that game. It would have put them one point up with two minutes of normal time and three minutes of injury time. Kerry were always going to equalise.

Keepers are important though. It is great for the defence to have a solid keeper behind them and the aiming of kickouts is key. Shot stopping is not as important as in soccer - in Gaelic forwards only tend to go for goal when the odds are heavily in their favour and so keepers can do little enough  about a lot of shots - but a keeper that is able to make quality saves on a regular basis is a hugely important player. Think Gary Connaughton in Westmeath, Cluxton in Dublin, Robert Hennelly and Micheal Schlingermann with Mayo minors in recent years.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Hardy

Quote from: longrunsthefox on April 15, 2010, 03:21:11 PM
His mother could have saved it... the worst penalty ever...

Even my mother could have saved it. Not much wrong with the penalty, as I remember, but it's almost impossible to put one past a keeper who's five yards off the line.

Hardy

Quote from: Maiden1 on April 15, 2010, 03:56:56 PM
Neil Collins made a vital save again Meath in 1991 ... so yes the keeper is vital. 

I don't want to take anything away from Neil, but it would have been harder to avoid that ball Flynn hit straight at him than to save it.

moysider

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on April 15, 2010, 03:32:15 AM
I know i should let it go, but I remain convinced to this day that Mayo would have won an AI in 96 with Barry Heffernan in goal.
He was widely renowned to be the best shot stopper in Mayo at the time, but his kickout was maybe 5m shorter than average while Maddens was probably 5m longer than average.
Barry was well known to take man, ball and anything else that came in or near his box, and i doubt a ball would have hopped over the crossbar.....

Correct Barry was an excellent shot stopper but a ball hopping over the bar was nothing to do with shot stopping.
Barry played in goal in Championship in 95 and struggled badly in the Connacht final. Some of our early jitters in the backs came from him punching high balls out that should have been held. Certainly did nt help likes of Gary Ruane and Kevin Cahill in front of him.
By comparison Madden had a fine game in the 96 Connacht final and held a few balls coming down on the crossbar. Barry s lack of a few inches was what probably cost him his place when Maughan took over. But as well as being better under his crossbar Madden s kickouts were at last 10 meters longer as well.
Anyway to the present and I d be very happy with Clarkie. Wouldn't swap him to be honest. And if his knee holds up its better he will get. Great leader as well.

shark

I'm afraid this was the worst penalty ever...... (different sport I know, but it's bloody hilarious)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSOSYVOiEbQ

thewobbler

It's always reassuring to have safe hands behind you, but to be honest I don't know if the top teams really need a top keeper, just a decent one.

My evidence of this would be that although Tyrone and Armagh have utterly dominated Ulster football for a decade, I don't think you would have a top keeper even if you combined the best parts of Tierney, Hearty, McConnell and Devine.

screenexile

Quote from: Hardy on April 15, 2010, 05:02:35 PM
Quote from: Maiden1 on April 15, 2010, 03:56:56 PM
Neil Collins made a vital save again Meath in 1991 ... so yes the keeper is vital. 

His save from Tohill in 1994 also was pretty important a in hindshight!
I don't want to take anything away from Neil, but it would have been harder to avoid that ball Flynn hit straight at him than to save it.

tyssam5

Quote from: thewobbler on April 15, 2010, 11:02:04 PM
It's always reassuring to have safe hands behind you, but to be honest I don't know if the top teams really need a top keeper, just a decent one.

My evidence of this would be that although Tyrone and Armagh have utterly dominated Ulster football for a decade, I don't think you would have a top keeper even if you combined the best parts of Tierney, Hearty, McConnell and Devine.

So did you happen to watch the 2008 AI final??

moysider

Quote from: tyssam5 on April 15, 2010, 11:29:32 PM

That save from O Sullivan decided the match. That had gone in would Tyrone have got that finish in?

mayo51

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on April 15, 2010, 03:32:15 AM
I know i should let it go, but I remain convinced to this day that Mayo would have won an AI in 96 with Barry Heffernan in goal.
He was widely renowned to be the best shot stopper in Mayo at the time, but his kickout was maybe 5m shorter than average while Maddens was probably 5m longer than average.
Barry was well known to take man, ball and anything else that came in or near his box, and i doubt a ball would have hopped over the crossbar.....
completly disagree with you deeler.I was sitting in the corner of the cusack stand that day and in my opinion madden would have been crazy to come for that ball as there were at least 3 playersthat looked to have a chance of making contact with the ball.To me maddens biggest mistake was in the replay when he failed to beat tommy dowd to a high ball thus forcing k.mort to concede a peno.Mayo had just gone 6 points up . and it was a big blow to concede a goal while playing with a strong wind.Jeez that is one tough game to forget for us mayo people >:(

tyssam5

Quote from: moysider on April 16, 2010, 12:35:26 AM
Quote from: tyssam5 on April 15, 2010, 11:29:32 PM

That save from O Sullivan decided the match. That had gone in would Tyrone have got that finish in?

We will thankfully never know, also a very tidy save from Walsh earlier in the game. Don't really think Tyrone have been wanting for quality in the goals, last time I remember where you might call the keeper into question (in championship at least) would maybe have been the drawn Ulster final in 2003.

EagleLord

Quote from: shark on April 15, 2010, 09:56:05 PM

I'm afraid this was the worst penalty ever...... (different sport I know, but it's bloody hilarious)

My God that is shocking. Gotta love that commentary too!

EagleLord

Quote from: EagleLord on April 16, 2010, 02:02:40 PM
Quote from: shark on April 15, 2010, 09:56:05 PM

My God that is shocking. Gotta love that commentary too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6LqnUlYgmw
On a par with Del Piero's effort I think..