Westmeath v Down (Mullingar) – Referee: Gearoid Ó Conamha

Started by goldenyears, March 23, 2010, 11:30:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dubh driocht

I must be the first home then !
Another VG performance against a team that were almost as bad as Armagh.From 1 to 20 ( or 26 as Rony Murtagh had to get a new shirt as he gave blood, as always, for the team) we were good.Hard to pick out individuals but Benny Mc Ardle was superb- read it like a book and punched forward when required, the HB line is the business , Kalum King gets better every game alongside our captain who is playing like an All-Star, all 6 forwards won their personal battles hands down but, more importantly ,play as a unit. As well as the subs , it was great to see Big Dan in the stand and what an option to bring in. Need to keep the hunger and the only question now is who do we want to avoid in the Div 2 final ?

Dubh driocht

Quote from: T Fearon on March 24, 2010, 02:55:03 PM
Undoubtedly the pressure will get to Down when it matters, as it did last year in the Div 3 Final against Tipp and the Championship games against mighty Fermanagh and Wicklow. Flanagan's back for Westmeath and that's a big plus and Down haven't Sludden to help them this weekend, and are at the mercies of the whims of O'Conamha.

Still wouldn't rule out a Div 2 Final between Armagh and Donegal, teams who have won Ulster Championships and National Leagues in recent years, with proven abilities to deliver in the big games at the business end.

This comes without further comment

Mid Down Gael

I must be second home then. Agree with Dubh driocht, Down where superb today against a poor Westmeath team. Ambrose played some stiff with King immence in second half. The defence where brilliant again with Benny McArdle and James Colgan to the fore. All the forwards starred, Hughes superb again with Murtagh, Clarke and Benny terrorising their defence. Poland took his frees well and had the handiest off tap ins for his goal after brilliant team play between Ambrose and Murtagh. Gearoid Ó Conamha was terrible and gave Westmeath the handiest off frees. Well done to James, Brian, Jerome and Paddy on guiding the team to promotion. Be lovely to collect the title on the 25th.

mountainboii

mountainboii

Shit. Gaelic Life prizes to be won and annoying c***ts from Poyntzpass to be kept in their place.

Joe Umbrella (hey)

Today was almost like a training match. I must say  I felt sorry for Westmeath today, both their senior footballers and hurlers were in action yet only a few hundred locals turned out. Down as always had a good traveling support making this game like a home tie.

As for the game itself the defence again was excellent with McArdle standing out. Ambrose was unstoppable in midfield with King continuing on from where he left off against Armagh. The forwards ran westmeath ragged with Benny, Murtagh and Poland on top form. Its very satisfying that with neither Marty, McComiskey, Lavery nor Maginn starting, Down were able to bring in Poland and Murtagh who looked the part. I was always frustrated that the previous managements played Murtagh in the half back and half forward line when he's clearly a man for the full forward line. He was very effective in the corner today and looks very fit, - another option in what has become a very strong squad.

5 Sams

Good to see Murtagh getting a few scores....he has been unlucky with injuries over the last few months...some competition for places in that forward line now :o
The Aristocrat Years

Pangurban

Super performance, yes Westmeath were poor, but you can only beat what is put in front of you, and Westmeath played as well as they were allowed. Down are developing into a unit with power,pace and precision, full marks to management team, and the strength in depth, which is emerging with the battle for places, is particularly heartening as we head into the summer

Mourne Rover

It's hard to believe how quickly everything has fallen into place for James after another fine performance today, although we need to remember that Westmeath are the poorest side in what has turned out to be a very ordinary division. However, we kept our focus well throughout, unlike the Tipperary game, and could easily have won by a fair bit more.

The defence was largely untroubled, with McArdle really starting to look the part against admittedly limited opposition and Colgan growing into his role with confidence. Westmeath put up at least some sort of a struggle at midfield, but King eventually dominated while Ambrose was yet again outstanding going foward.

We were flying up front even without Marty, with Benny pulling all the strings and John Clarke, apart from some wayward shooting, winning every ball. Westmeath also had no answer to the pace of Hughes at any stage.

Carr came off the bench, Murphy and Doyle are apparently getting closer to fitness and we expect big Dan back before long, so there is no doubt that we have strength in depth.

We can give a few others a run against Laois before our division two final, so you have to give huge credit to our entire management team for the job they have done so far - but we will not be judged on our league form at the end of the season.

Leo

Quote from: Leo on March 25, 2010, 11:30:00 PM
I agree that Keavney is the worst draw of a referee for Down - over the past couple of seasons we have been on the receiving end of scandalous crass decisions from him that someone less fairminded than me would have called utterly biased.
But as with Tipp we should be beyond depending on fair referees against this opposition by just going out and doing it ourselves.

Don't really like saying "I told you so" but I told you so. While the ref drew derisory laughs and scorn from the crowd this really is no lauughing matter and the bias was so blatant as to warrant an official complaint from Down. The video would be worth some analysis. We should not field with this guy in the middle ever again.
Fierce tame altogether

goldenyears

Paul Murphy has been fully fit for 3 weeks + can't seem to get into 24

Surely he worth a place?!

andunabu

A great run in this division!  The management must be congratulated for their efforts!!  Well  done to all concerned!!

nrico2006

'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

dundrumite