Dublin v Monaghan - Parnell Park - 13/03/10

Started by GrandMasterFlash, March 09, 2010, 10:40:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maguire01

Quote from: INDIANA on March 10, 2010, 10:10:13 AM
Quote from: Maguire01 on March 09, 2010, 09:11:29 PM
Looking forward to this game - it's a hard one to call.

Dublin will be favourites, but i'm not sure they're as good as their 6 points suggests.

I was at the game in Killarney and have no doubt that Monaghan would have beaten Kerry on that day. Whilst Dublin looked good, Kerry were very poor.

Then Dublin beat Derry. A good result, but it's hard to know where Derry are at, given their mixed bag of results.

As for the Mayo game, I didn't see any of it, but from what i've heard (and as mentioned earlier in this thread) Mayo kicked themselves our of the game and even with the collosal number of wides, Dublin only won by the minimum.

As for Monaghan, I missed the first two games, but reports were that the performance against Cork was pretty good (albeit very loose in defence). We were in the Galway game right up until Finlay was sent off. Then on Sunday, we managed to shake the Tyrone monkey off our back.

Now before anyone gets excited, i'm not saying Monaghan will have no problem here, just that it would be very foolish to predict this game on the basis of position on the table. There's a lot more behind the points.

So in other words Monaghan only have to turn up- interesting.
Did you read my post to the bottom?
I'd be interested to hear your views on both teams' 3 games to date in the context of their position on the table.

Hound

Dublin team named:

Stephen Cluxton
Michael Fitzsimons, Rory O'Carroll, Philly McMahon
James McCarthy, Cian O'Sullivan, Ger Brennan
Eamon Fennell, Ross McConnell
Alan Hubbard, Michael Darragh MacAuley, Paul Flynn
David Henry, Bernard Brogan, Kevin McManamon

Main Street

A lot of names there (8?) that were not in the championship team from last year.

INDIANA

Quote from: Maguire01 on March 10, 2010, 06:51:21 PM

Dublin will be favourites, but i'm not sure they're as good as their 6 points suggests.

I was at the game in Killarney and have no doubt that Monaghan would have beaten Kerry on that day. Whilst Dublin looked good, Kerry were very poor.

Then Dublin beat Derry. A good result, but it's hard to know where Derry are at, given their mixed bag of results.

As for the Mayo game, I didn't see any of it, but from what i've heard (and as mentioned earlier in this thread) Mayo kicked themselves our of the game and even with the collosal number of wides, Dublin only won by the minimum.

As for Monaghan, I missed the first two games, but reports were that the performance against Cork was pretty good (albeit very loose in defence). We were in the Galway game right up until Finlay was sent off. Then on Sunday, we managed to shake the Tyrone monkey off our back.

Now before anyone gets excited, i'm not saying Monaghan will have no problem here, just that it would be very foolish to predict this game on the basis of position on the table. There's a lot more behind the points.

I'd be interested to hear your views on both teams' 3 games to date in the context of their position on the table.

I did and its like reading my annual stockbrokers report. Give all the reasons as to why you think something is good but then write a disclaimer at the bottom of the page in case you are wrong!

As it happens I expect a pretty filthy match dominated by freetakers. I expect monaghan to edge it narrowly on the basis Keaney isn't playing.

heffo

Quote from: Main Street on March 11, 2010, 10:33:36 AM
A lot of names there (8?) that were not in the championship team from last year.

Huge amount of people out injured - I'd expect the championship team to be not a milliion miles away from whats named - 3/4 changes at most I'd expect

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: INDIANA on March 11, 2010, 10:41:10 AM

I did and its like reading my annual stockbrokers report. Give all the reasons as to why you think something is good but then write a disclaimer at the bottom of the page in case you are wrong!

As it happens I expect a pretty filthy match dominated by freetakers. I expect monaghan to edge it narrowly on the basis Keaney isn't playing.

We live in a democracy where debate and open speech are encouraged. The man was only stating facts and telling it how he sees it. If you can decode your 'annual stockbrokers report' then you shouldn't struggle with this concept..

INDIANA

Quote from: GrandMasterFlash on March 11, 2010, 11:52:36 AM

We live in a democracy where debate and open speech are encouraged. The man was only stating facts and telling it how he sees it. If you can decode your 'annual stockbrokers report' then you shouldn't struggle with this concept..

I love the way 3 wins out of 3 is dismissed so easily by a county that has 2 points on the board. In fact I find it hilarious.

INDIANA

Quote from: heffo on March 11, 2010, 11:25:12 AM
Quote from: Main Street on March 11, 2010, 10:33:36 AM

Huge amount of people out injured - I'd expect the championship team to be not a milliion miles away from whats named - 3/4 changes at most I'd expect

I don't even bother reading half those injury reports heffo. A lot of the guys involved have little chance of getting in.

Going to be a lot of changes alright. Don't know whether its going to work or not. Wouldn't be anywhere near my selection but its going ok. Saturday night is likely to be a really turgid affair so win or lose we'll learn nothing.
I think the Cork game is the key as to whether we'll know the changes have real substance behind them as Cork are the barometer and appear to me to be only operating at 60%. Yet are sleep walking league games.
My gut instinct tells me we won't do much in the championship this year and that maybe going all out for the league would be a good idea. as it happens I think Saturday night will be a really difficult affair as Monaghan wrote the book on puke football themselves Both teams will just cancel each other out on Saturday night.

I can live with puke football as long as we are winning.

bingobus

Quote from: INDIANA on March 11, 2010, 12:22:39 PM
I think Saturday night will be a really difficult affair as Monaghan wrote the book on puke football themselves Both teams will just cancel each other out on Saturday night.

I can live with puke football as long as we are winning.

;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: INDIANA on March 11, 2010, 12:17:01 PM
Quote from: GrandMasterFlash on March 11, 2010, 11:52:36 AM

I love the way 3 wins out of 3 is dismissed so easily by a county that has 2 points on the board. In fact I find it hilarious.

I think you're being slightly paranoid here. Maguire01 was giving his opinion on the games/results to date. We lost our first two games for the reasons outlined above, both narrow defeats. Dublin won 2 out of their 3 games by virtue of the opposition kicking a sight of wides (Mayo) and being poor (Kerry). I don't what's wrong (or indeed hilarious) about either synopsis?

INDIANA

Any game a team wins the opposition won't have played well- thats a statistical fact. I mean thats the sort of logic FF use to run the country.

Kerry didn't play well because they weren't allowed to. Simple as.

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: INDIANA on March 11, 2010, 02:02:29 PM
Any game a team wins the opposition won't have played well- thats a statistical fact. I mean thats the sort of logic FF use to run the country.

Kerry didn't play well because they weren't allowed to. Simple as.

I fully take your point and agree totally. Ulster football is *supposedly* based on this ethos i.e. stop the other team from playing well. However, nobody was suggesting that Monaghan just need to turn up. Far from it...

Lookin forward to it all the same even if it does turn-out car crash like.. I've really enjoyed the previous two meetings between us in PP and think there's a fanstastic atmosphere there which will only be bettered under floodlight in my opinion..

thebandit

I wonder will the Monaghan team show any changes?

Any word of Collie Greenan?

Main Street

We missed the Dubs last year ;D   but we didn't need the points in the end.
Dublin in the league has been a handy game for Monaghan up to now, even though it's always in Dublin.

Afair the last time the pitch was heavy, how is it looking for Saturday?

heffo

Quote from: Main Street on March 11, 2010, 03:26:41 PM

Afair the last time the pitch was heavy, how is it looking for Saturday?

I was in Parnell the other night and it looked in great condition