Derry v Mayo, Celtic Park - 13/3/2010

Started by Barney, March 08, 2010, 08:30:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

handballref

I agree also with whiskeysteve and zhukov. i think derry will win handy enough however again i would be of a competely different opinion in a championship game. looking forward in seeing james kielt tried out in midfield. he was great there for the minors in 2007 and whilst i felt that last year he didnt contribute enough in open play he seems to have improved in this aspect this year going by the tyrone game in the NFL and the u21 game the other night. he seems to have bulked up a bit and is contributing more this time. lee moore was fantastic the other night and i hope he turns out to be good for us. fergal doc in whf is a strange one considering cassidys "system" was to employ lighter, pacier players in the WHF positions. however, if we are to try something new this is the time to do it! looking forward to the game and i hope its a good one with plenty of scores.

rosnarun

Quote from: Lar Naparka on March 12, 2010, 10:40:23 AM
It's getting to the stage now where any manager with serious ambitions for the championships would need to look for points from every game from here on in. With the way the league is now structured, an extended run is important as the championships follow so close after this competition ends.
I think both O'Mahony and Cassidy will be going all out on Sunday to keep their hopes of a play off spot alive.
I'm not sure about Derry but Mayo certainly have no easy games left.
I was less concerned about the result in Castlebar than the way in which old failings in front of goal re-emerged. I'd hope the squandermania was a once off affair; any team in development is prone to have a bad day at times.
I'd welcome any sort of a win on Sunday but I'd value an improved shooting display even more.

id be a hell of a lot more concerned about our full back and our manager complete reluctance to do anything about it . the guy no longer seemd to be able to catch any ball and his tendancy to go for and miss ball when last man back leaves the goal a sitting target esp against goal hangers like the bradleys . who can appear to look so good when given soft ball
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

stephenite

I'm interested to see who's taking Peadar Gardener's place on the team - whilst his injury in unfortunate I feel he has been a weak link for the last season or two and hope that someone can step in and, well, defend a bit.

moysider

Quote from: stephenite on March 13, 2010, 12:33:34 PM
I'm interested to see who's taking Peadar Gardener's place on the team - whilst his injury in unfortunate I feel he has been a weak link for the last season or two and hope that someone can step in and, well, defend a bit.

;)  I'd say Chris Barrett will get the nod tonight and then see how it goes.  I wouldn't rule out Trevor being deployed there come Summer.

Tubberman

Quote from: moysider on March 13, 2010, 02:10:33 PM
Quote from: stephenite on March 13, 2010, 12:33:34 PM

;)  I'd say Chris Barrett will get the nod tonight and then see how it goes.  I wouldn't rule out Trevor being deployed there come Summer.

Barrett played well last week when he came on, so I'd say he'll start this evening. He seems a bit small though, but deserves his chance. I think Mayo will be up for this match, out to prove last week's forward display was a once-off.
Not sure it will be enough to win in Celtic Park, but I think it will be a lot closer than the Derry boys here imagine.

Edit: Oh, and best of luck to St Gerald's against Summerhill in the Connacht College A Final in Charlestown at 2:30!
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Farrandeelin

Why is John O'Mahony reluctant to name the team?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Tubberman

Quote from: Farrandeelin on March 13, 2010, 04:00:00 PM

Because the U21s were playing championship during the week, so he wanted to give them a couple of days to see if they were ok to play. And it gives an extra couple of day's for McGarritty to see if he's over the hamstring injury

moysider

Quote from: Tubberman on March 13, 2010, 04:07:35 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on March 13, 2010, 04:00:00 PM

Because the U21s were playing championship during the week, so he wanted to give them a couple of days to see if they were ok to play. And it gives an extra couple of day's for McGarritty to see if he's over the hamstring injury

Dont think there s any chance of McGarrity playing.

Tubberman

Liam O'Malley starting in half-backs, Ciaran Conroy in midfield, and Alan Dillon in at corner forward.
The rest is as it was last week.

Crowd of only about 600 in Celtic Park according to Mid West. Not many Mayo there obviously, but shocking home support.

Edit - Liam O'Malley gone into corner, Vaughan to half-back.

Tubberman

Mayo 0-01 Derry 0-0
Varley won a free, which Alan Dillon tapped over.

tbrick18

anyone know where I can listen to the game?

Tubberman

Quote from: tbrick18 on March 13, 2010, 07:35:44 PM
anyone know where I can listen to the game?

http://www.midwestirishradio.com/mwr/index.php
Warning - will be Mayo bias  ;)

Varley has started very well. Has scored a point from play. Mayo 0-02 Derry 0-0

Tubberman

Varley from play again. 3 points to no score

tbrick18