Sweeping reforms for Planning

Started by Onion Bag, February 26, 2010, 08:41:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onion Bag

'Sweeping reforms' for planning 

Mr Poots said the changes would make the planning system more proactive
The environment minister has said planning in Northern Ireland is set to undergo its "most sweeping reform" for 30 years.

Edwin Poots spoke on Thursday after the Executive passed a package aimed at delivering a more effective system.

He told the Royal Town Planners the changes would "affect almost every aspect of the planning system".

They will also address the transfer of the majority of planning functions to local government.

"I believe these changes offer us an unprecedented opportunity to transform our mainly regulatory planning system into a more proactive, co-ordinated and responsive system which will help to enable appropriate sustainable development," said Mr Poots.

The Assembly still has to vote on the reforms, which then have to become law so it could be some time before the transformation of the service becomes a reality.

Are we going to see a 'free for all' here with houses going up everywhere now,

The Hoors are just about 3 years too late making this decsion, it cost me a fortune trying to get planning permission passed, turned down, changed this, changed that.

but now it seems the decision wil be down to the local councillors who will/should get the applications passed in order to get votes. 
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

Billys Boots

QuoteThey will also address the transfer of the majority of planning functions to local government.

I hope they make a better fist of it than they did down here.  ::)
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...