Mr & Mrs Robinson

Started by Orior, January 06, 2010, 09:21:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

red hander

Quote from: Zapatista on January 12, 2010, 09:33:45 PM
I can't believe this diiscussion is happening >:(

Are people seriously talking about which British party they would rather be ruled by??

They're both murdering b**tards!!!

I'd prefer not to be ruled by Britain full stop ... that's what has caused all the problems in the first place. Just arguing a belief that, under the current circumstances,  the ultimate republican goal of a reunited Ireland will happen sooner if we're ruled from London than from Stormont, for any Stormont rule gives partition a legitimacy it should not have, and gives too many idiots a cushy job that is in their interests to maintain ... if joint authority was on offer at moment, then obviously i'd be for that, but it's not

Main Street

Can't have been much of an Assembly if it all falls apart faster than Iris' briefs.

T Fearon

Surely it must have been and still is obvious that the quickest way to end partition is to have jont authority. With the Britih side totally disinterested it would be a de facto United Ireland immediately, and within 5 years the Brits would slip away unnoticed

ONeill

Quote from: T Fearon on January 12, 2010, 10:21:32 PM
Surely it must have been and still is obvious that the quickest way to end partition is to have jont authority. With the Britih side totally disinterested it would be a de facto United Ireland immediately, and within 5 years the Brits would slip away unnoticed

I would have said joint authority a couple of years ago. However, things would move with less haste if that was the case, such would their need to get the overall Unionist position steadiied if that was the scenario.

It's no secret that the London govt are losing patience with Unionism.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Orior

Not sure if these were posted before.

This is funny:
[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Robinson_(politician)

This is funnier:
http://www.peterrobinson.org/default.asp
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Main Street

The Brits are a very tolerant people, they will take better care of you.

trileacman

Quote from: T Fearon on January 12, 2010, 10:21:32 PM
Surely it must have been and still is obvious that the quickest way to end partition is to have joint authority. With the British side totally disinterested it would be a de facto United Ireland immediately, and within 5 years the Brits would slip away unnoticed

What makes you think that Irish aren't disinterested either?
The South don't want us. Our different economies, health services and tax system make both of us incompatible and unification could never be achieved as quickly as you believe under such circumstances.

More and more I believe something radical will have to happen for unification to occur. Most likely the complete collapse of the Union or a major shift in European Union orientation. Both unlikely.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

ziggysego

If Scotland get independences, which could happen sooner than later with the SNP, it could see the start of the end of the Union.
Testing Accessibility

stew

Quote from: ziggysego on January 12, 2010, 11:21:48 PM
If Scotland get independences, which could happen sooner than later with the SNP, it could see the start of the end of the Union.

There is too much apathy in Ireland for the brits to seriously consider this. I dont think for a minute the brits want us however,more and more people couldnt care less about unification.  If the brits had a way out I think we would take it, the problem is the south either dont want us or cant afford us, probably both.

Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

omagh_gael

The fire has been lit under the DUP's collective arses!

Unionists 'should close devolution vacuum' - Woodward 

Shaun Woodward made a direct appeal to unionists

The secretary of state has called on unionists to agree to the rapid devolution of policing and justice powers.

Speaking after a meeting with the Irish foreign minister in Dublin, Shaun Woodward said the lack of agreement had created a "vacuum".

Earlier, Gerry Adams said discussions between Sinn Fein and the DUP were at a "sensitive and serious stage".

He called the talks "hugely important" but would not comment on details.

Shaun Woodward made a direct appeal to unionists after his meeting with Micheal Martin.

He said: "It's a very important time for all unionists to realise that now is the time to complete devolution.

"There is an urgency which is why this needs to be addressed in these coming days and weeks."

Mr Woodward said dissident republicans who attacked a police officer last week were exploiting the "vacuum" in the process.

"Very clearly what happened to the police officer cannot be allowed to continue and I think we all have to pay attention to the vacuum which inevitably exists while these people still disagree about this work.

"We have to close that vacuum and the best way to do that is to do all we can to get the parties to reach agreement."

Mr Martin said he believed that "80 to 85%" of issues had been resolved and was optimistic that the parties would reach agreement soon.

Late on Tuesday afternoon, the leaders of the Ulster Unionists, the SDLP, Alliance and Progressive Unionists were called to Stormont Castle by the secretary of state amid speculation that progress may be imminent.

BBC NI Political Editor Mark Devenport said the "mood music seemed to indicate there was something afoot".

'Under duress'

The UUP leader Sir Reg Empey described his discussion with Mr Woodward on Tuesday afternoon as "useful" but said his party would have to see the shape of a deal on policing and justice before committing to supporting it.

He added that he was very concerned that any agreement could appear that it has been negotiated by the DUP under duress.

The main party leaders have been at Stormont Castle for talks
The intensified talks have been taking place as Arlene Foster spent her first day in office after taking over as acting first minister.

She is standing in for Peter Robinson, who has stood side for six weeks in order to clear his name over an allegation surrounding his wife Iris' personal and financial conduct.

She obtained £50,000 from two developers to help her teenage lover begin a cafe business. She kept £5,000 of the money for herself.

When Mr Robinson found out about the payments, he did not tell the proper authorities, despite being obliged by the ministerial code to act in the public interest at all times.

Confidence

Sinn Fein and the DUP have been at loggerheads for months over transfer of justice and policing powers from London to Belfast.

Sinn Fein has warned that progress needs to be made quickly or the power-sharing government could collapse.

DUP MP Gregory Campbell said on Tuesday that the community still did not have enough confidence to devolve the powers to Stormont.

"We have to work until it is and when it is and we can verify that, we then proceed - but not until then," he said.

"It doesn't matter how many first ministers come and go, it doesn't matter how many scandals there are or aren't, that remains the issue."

The British and Irish governments see the transfer of policing and justice as the last piece of the devolution jigsaw.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/8455165.stm

trileacman

Quote from: ziggysego on January 12, 2010, 11:21:48 PM

Would the EU allow such a move? I'd think they'd be opposed to it, as it increases the number of member states and the headaches that surround it. I'd imagine they'd threaten the Scots with a lengthy application process to join the EU for the new Scottish "nation" (in whatever guise it would take). Without the economic safety of the EU for the Scots I'd imagine they'd shirk away from declaring outright independence and take a longer term approach to sovereignty.

Also I don't think the Scot's are as independence minded as they make out. Whilst on a patriotic level it counts for them, they realise, like us, economically and politcally it weakens there hand. Look at how long it took the free state to find their feet and also look at their current form. The Scot's know this and I think there as far away as us from independence.

Finally IMO the English/Brits would really oppose the loss of Scotland. Whilst we are a failed statelet, a huge drain on the budget, a political headache and an all round pain in the hole, Scotland functions quite well and has been very productive since the 1980's. Also the military heads would be opposed to losing Scotland. That's just my opinion though and its probably complete bollix.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Rav67

Quote from: Hereiam on January 12, 2010, 09:52:03 PM
I have to say with regret that alot of the younger generation are starting to talk this way zap. They don't know how bad things were over here and with all the british tv been beamed in here it is more or less brain washing them. They are walking about in a world of there own. My view is that the british will never give up its claim over here without a fight as the union is very important to its status in the eyes of the worlds other major countries. As I get older i am starting to realise that Ireland in the a couple od decades will not be the place to be if the energy crisis comes to a head. If we were smart we would move into mainland europe and take over/invade one of them small countries in order to keep the Irish breed going.

I realise part of this statement is a joke but I assume you're being serious about the bit in bold.  Would definitely disagree with this- they do want rid of the massive drain that is NI but will only do so after referenda North and South.  Can't see that happening in the next 20-30 years though.

ONeill

I have to say with regret that alot of the younger generation are starting to talk this way zap. They don't know how bad things were over here and with all the british tv been beamed in here it is more or less brain washing them. They are walking about in a world of there own. My view is that the british will never give up its claim over here without a fight as the union is very important to its status in the eyes of the worlds other major countries. As I get older i am starting to realise that Ireland in the a couple od decades will not be the place to be if the energy crisis comes to a head. If we were smart we would move into mainland europe and take over/invade one of them small countries in order to keep the Irish breed going.

I'm sorry, but this is riddled with inaccuracies.

You'll find that the republican leadership, as of now, will see direct rule as strategically the most viable option in terms of their endgame. If you think the maintaining NI as part of the 'Union' is important to the Yanks, Chinese etc, you're badly mistaken. Britain's standing in world affairs is exaggerated (by you it seems too) by the same media you talk about.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Zapatista

Quote from: trileacman on January 12, 2010, 11:11:39 PM

What makes you think that Irish aren't disinterested either?
The South don't want us. Our different economies, health services and tax system make both of us incompatible and unification could never be achieved as quickly as you believe under such circumstances.

More and more I believe something radical will have to happen for unification to occur. Most likely the complete collapse of the Union or a major shift in European Union orientation. Both unlikely.

It's this type of BS that gets my goat. Tough shit if some in the south don't want us, who the f**k do they think they are? THe people of the north are not orphans who noone wants/ WE are a people well able to make decisions ourselves and if we decide to unite the country it won't be on terms dished out from Dublin but terms agreed between us. If Cowen has a problem with that then we will address it but he and the rest of them can f**k off if they think we're going to beg them to take us under their wings. In the case of a UI the people of the six counties will be equal partners in the terms before and in post UI. It will be an equal burden on the six counties aswell as the 26 to make it work.

Zapatista

Quote from: Rav67 on January 13, 2010, 12:16:37 AM

I realise part of this statement is a joke but I assume you're being serious about the bit in bold.  Would definitely disagree with this- they do want rid of the massive drain that is NI but will only do so after referenda North and South.  Can't see that happening in the next 20-30 years though.

As long as the serving Government can count on the Unionist vote in Westminster they will be happy to have them regardless of the cost. Gorden Brown doesn't give a f**k about the north or how much it costs but he does care about the votes in it. The people of britain are clueless re the north and would never take 2 seconds to concider the pros or cons of the north being in the union. It's a non issue as far as they're concerned.