Four young women killed in Galway crash, fifth critical

Started by RedandGreenSniper, November 17, 2009, 11:55:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedandGreenSniper

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/1117/rta.html

Four killed in Co Galway collision
Tuesday, 17 November 2009 23:00
Four young women have been killed in a road accident in Co Galway tonight.

They were travelling in a car which was in collision with a pick-up truck between the villages of Milltown and Ballindine.

Two others involved in the accident suffered serious injures and are being treated in hospital.

The four young women who lost their lives in tonight's horrific road accident were travelling in a car which was approaching the village of Ballindine.

Three of the women died at the crash scene, a fourth was pronounced dead on admission to Mayo General Hospital in Castlebar and a fifth young women who was also in the car sustained serious injuries. She is said to be in a 'critical condition'. All five are believed to be in their 20s.

The driver in the truck was also injured in the head-on collision. His injuries are said to be 'serious' but not life-threatening.

The accident occurred on a bend on the main N17 road at Carrownurlaur, about 2km from Ballindine. Driving conditions in the area were exceptionally bad at the time, with heavy rain and poor visibility.

The road is now closed and the crash scene will remain sealed off until it is examined by Garda Technical Experts in the morning.

Separately, a 31-year-old man has died following a collision between two vehicles at Agharra in Co Longford this afternoon.

The deceased man was the driver of a car that was involved in a crash with a 4x4 on the road between Ratharney and Ballynacargy.

The driver of the other vehicle has been taken to the Midland Regional Hospital Mullingar.

Gardaí have appealed for witnesses to the crash to contact Longford Garda Station on 043-50570.

The road on which the crash occurred, which is a back road between Longford and Mullingar, will be closed overnight and motorists are asked to avoid the area.

Elsewhere, a 58-year-old woman has been killed in a road accident in the village of Williamstown in Co Galway.

She was the driver of a car which crashed into the front wall of a house on the Glenamaddy Road in the village.

A five-year-old child, who was in the car, sustained injuries and was taken to University Hospital Galway.

The injuries are not believed to be life-threatening.

Truck crashes in Ballsbridge

An investigation has been launched into an incident in which an articulated truck crashed into a garden wall near the British Embassy in Ballsbridge in Dublin earlier today.

The crash happened at around 10am when the driver of the truck, which was travelling out from the city centre, swerved to avoid another vehicle travelling in the same direction.

There were no injuries.

Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

ziggysego

Terrible news!!

RIP the 4 women. I hope the 5th woman pulls through.
Testing Accessibility

leenie

absolutely shocking.... 6 killed in one day on our roads....

my thoughts are with all of their families...
I'm trying to decide on a really meaningful message..

Puckoon

Horrible Horrible news.

Tyrone Girl - pay more damn attention to the roads. Dont be so blaise about driving.

Rest In peace.

Agnes Dipesto

Terrible tragedy. RIP.

Condolences to their familiies.

muppet

Imagine getting that phone call tonight. Unthinkable.

RIP.
MWWSI 2017

Orior

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Never beat the deeler

Just got a phone call from a fellow Mayoman here in Aus.

Know quite a few lads over here from that area, but afraid to contact them...

RIP all four girls, my heart goes out to the families.  :-\
Hasta la victoria siempre

SLIGONIAN

Shocking news, the accident must of being horrific. When I hear something like I always think of the emergency staff and the strength and courage they show in these circumstances.

Condolescenes to their families, wish ye all the strength in the world.

RIP
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

mylestheslasher

What a terrible tragedy. Hopefully the 5th girl will pull through. Living in the west these days I can confirm that last night was atrocious weather wise with non stop heavy rain all night. That section of road between Ballindine and Milltown is bad at the best of times as the N17 narrows significantly and hard shoulders go. I am a firm believer that all major roads in this country should have hard shoulders - it gives you somewhere to go in the event of a mistake being made.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: J70 on November 18, 2009, 12:22:04 AM
"Exceptionally bad" road conditions. I wonder which driver was hammering on as though the roads were perfectly dry and visibility was fine? Such a waste. :'(

I think you are jumpihg the gun a bit there J70. There were most likely pools of water on the road and at night it is very difficult to see them. Add to that a really windy bit of road and you have all the ingrediants for a crash. I drove to work this morning and I can tell you it was not easy when cars are splashing water all over your windscreen and you can see nothing ahead of you, no matter what speed you are going.

JUst retired

Fear ón Srath Bán

Horrific, RIP.

I really wish the Road Safety Authority would hold back on the self congratulations (publicly at least) on the positive downward movement of road fatalities until the year actually fecking ends. Once again, I was filled with that familiar sense of foreboding at their boasting two days ago of 2009 likely to be the lowest year on record for road fatalities. As sure as eggs are eggs...
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

the colonel

Quote from: mylestheslasher on November 18, 2009, 08:05:33 AM
Quote from: J70 on November 18, 2009, 12:22:04 AM
"Exceptionally bad" road conditions. I wonder which driver was hammering on as though the roads were perfectly dry and visibility was fine? Such a waste. :'(

I think you are jumpihg the gun a bit there J70. There were most likely pools of water on the road and at night it is very difficult to see them. Add to that a really windy bit of road and you have all the ingrediants for a crash. I drove to work this morning and I can tell you it was not easy when cars are splashing water all over your windscreen and you can see nothing ahead of you, no matter what speed you are going.

thats really poor taste J70. Complete accidents can happen and someone reading a report on the internet shouldn't comment on what happened in the incident. Thats not what the focus should be right now.

Condolences to all the families. All the best for the 5th girl
the difference between success and failure is energy

AbbeySider

There was a terrible downpour in Galway around the time of the crash.
Its very sad.
RIP