orchardcounty.com

Started by ardmhachaabu, November 15, 2009, 08:07:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

camloughlad

I had a feelin it was going to happen soon cause the likes of that we fella cdoyle were talkin pure shit about stuff they hardly new of.with the Armagh down game comein up soon the craic would of been good on the oc

pintsofguinness

Quote from: AFS on February 26, 2010, 11:02:49 AM
Website Closed Permanently

What's the craic here?
that's the 4th or 5th time it's been closed "permanently"
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Skiddybadoo

Not as many childish posters that is being made out here. OC was much superior to this site from an Armagh perspective. Much more debate in the run up to and following games. Bit of a pompous attitude on here at times toward what was a great resource.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Skiddybadoo on February 26, 2010, 01:17:58 PM
Not as many childish posters that is being made out here. OC was much superior to this site from an Armagh perspective. Much more debate in the run up to and following games. Bit of a pompous attitude on here at times toward what was a great resource.
There must have been some change from the last time I read it!
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Skiddybadoo

Since Barry carried out the last 'sweep' and increased the number of mods there was a very noticeable up turn in the quality of posts and debate. Many 'respected' posters from this site would have contributed more to OC than here, esp with their analysis of games. I think the Westmeath game had something like 20 pages without a comment from a ba. 

mountainboii

Quote from: pintsofguinness on February 26, 2010, 01:09:43 PM
Quote from: AFS on February 26, 2010, 11:02:49 AM
Website Closed Permanently

What's the craic here?
that's the 4th or 5th time it's been closed "permanently"

Think it was only ever suspended before. Reckon it'll be gone for good now though, only so many times you can try to get the same point across. Too many wee shitheads using the computer lab in school to slag off boys that are probably sitting two seats over from them. Banning all talk about underage football would've cut out a lot of that silly shit.

ArmaghGAAforum

I had to close mine too.  Got a letter from GAA solicitors saying something about infringing gaa rights.  I asked for evidence and they wouldn't give any.  All they said was that I said be policing the forum myself and it was in my best interests to close the place or face court action.  3 Supporters sites biteing the dust around the same time!  Shame on the GAA to force closure of these sites.  I've went down the blog route but I may actually clear the entire forum and open it up again.  That way I don't have anything "infringing" and armagh supporters have somewhere to go.  In fact, that's exactly what I'm going to do.......

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: ArmaghGAAforum on February 26, 2010, 03:33:58 PM
I had to close mine too.  Got a letter from GAA solicitors saying something about infringing gaa rights.  I asked for evidence and they wouldn't give any.  All they said was that I said be policing the forum myself and it was in my best interests to close the place or face court action.  3 Supporters sites biteing the dust around the same time!  Shame on the GAA to force closure of these sites.  I've went down the blog route but I may actually clear the entire forum and open it up again.  That way I don't have anything "infringing" and armagh supporters have somewhere to go.  In fact, that's exactly what I'm going to do.......

Now that's an interesting twist. Very bizarre that they would make allegations of infringing rights without providing any details. Was this from the Armagh County board solicitors or the central GAA? From what I remember the County board were always very keen to censor any criticism that emanated from orchardcounty. While it may not within the spirit of the GAA in some instances, fair comment and genuine opinion on the performances of players and officials are not actionable at law.

It may be that you have been infringing copyright, did you display the county crest or other logos / images / videos owned by the County Board without their permission? If this is the position then if you remove the offending items I can't see how the GAA could object to the site. Certainly it would be a bizarre precedent for a sporting organisation to claim legal control over any discussion of their sport?! Haven't seen the FA trying to close down the BBC website lately.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

ArmaghGAAforum

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on February 26, 2010, 03:56:40 PM
Quote from: ArmaghGAAforum on February 26, 2010, 03:33:58 PM

Now that's an interesting twist. Very bizarre that they would make allegations of infringing rights without providing any details. Was this from the Armagh County board solicitors or the central GAA? From what I remember the County board were always very keen to censor any criticism that emanated from orchardcounty. While it may not within the spirit of the GAA in some instances, fair comment and genuine opinion on the performances of players and officials are not actionable at law.

It may be that you have been infringing copyright, did you display the county crest or other logos / images / videos owned by the County Board without their permission? If this is the position then if you remove the offending items I can't see how the GAA could object to the site. Certainly it would be a bizarre precedent for a sporting organisation to claim legal control over any discussion of their sport?! Haven't seen the FA trying to close down the BBC website lately.

It was Central GAA as far as I can gather.  Nothing within the letter states its from the County Board although they have been on my back quite a few times.  I guess it was the videos that were infringing.  The GAA had contacted me a few months ago about the crest which I removed immediately.  That time was a call and an email to sort the issue out but they went to great lenghts to get hold of my address to send me this letter.  Frightening when I got it, I only wanted to have a forum to armagh gaels to discuss the games.  I'm going to sweep the entire forum for infringing content and it will re-open this evening.

illdecide

Did you seek advice from a solicitor yourself to see where you stand and if they can do anything to you?. As you say if you take down anything that is copyrighted then what else can they do to you
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

camloughlad

Could you sent me the link to your forum plz

ArmaghGAAforum

Quote from: illdecide on February 26, 2010, 05:10:08 PM
Did you seek advice from a solicitor yourself to see where you stand and if they can do anything to you?. As you say if you take down anything that is copyrighted then what else can they do to you

No I never sought advice, it looks more a threat with intent if I ignored it but I've removed everything I believe is copyright of the GAA and reopened the forum.  No videos or gaa related images can be posted.  Discussion of all things GAA is obviously allowed and the GAA do not own freedom of speech however this attempt at shutting supporters forums may lead me to think otherwise!

Quote from: camloughlad on February 26, 2010, 05:43:42 PM
Could you sent me the link to your forum plz

in its in sig mate but you can click here http://armaghgaa.info/forum/

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: Skiddybadoo on February 26, 2010, 01:17:58 PM

Couldn't agree more! Very sorry to see this happen - I was introduced to GAA internet discussion through Barry and Orchard County, way back in 2002 - between the Sligo games - never met Barry in person, but exchanged messages on line - came across as an absolute gent and a loyal Armagh supporter. If this is the last we see of OC then that is an absolute shame - thanks though for all the time and effort Barry.

JUst retired

I would also like to thank Barry for all his efforts. Absolute gent.

ardmhachaabu

This time it's for good. I've had enough. A comment made on Wednesday night disgusted me so much that I decided I had to pull the plug. Its a shame that one or two idiots ruin it for everyone. End of an era after 10 years.

Thanks for all your help, it was greatly appreciated.

Barry

I received the above from Barry when I emailed him asking if it was likely the site would be back at some stage.

Very sorry to hear it and I have to say that it was the best single resource for Armagh Gaels.  Thanks Barry
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something