Northern Towns/villages without GAA clubs

Started by Aristotle Flynn, February 01, 2007, 10:32:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the green man

Macosquin. Not served by any GAA club as far as I'm aware.

tyrone86

nrico2006

QuoteQuote from: nrico2006 on June 10, 2008, 02:52:06 PM
I have never heard of Moira having a team.

St. Michael's, Magheralin

Yeah, but I was talking about Moira.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

stiffler

GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

thebandit

Quote from: Armaghtothebone on June 10, 2008, 08:56:36 PM
Fellow Gaels,
This one has gotten me thinking.

What's the largest town/village in the country with no GAA club?

I mean none at all.For example Markethill in Armagh has no club but Mullabrack would still be in the parish(I stand to be corrected on that).

I think Richill must be in with a shout?

Does Ballyhegan not cover Richill?

Aristotle Flynn

Carrickfergus is a large town. It must be the largest without a club but theres no way I would walk through the palce in a jersey.
A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion.

passedit

Quote from: hardstation on June 11, 2008, 01:10:43 AM
Bangor?

St.Pauls will probably start shouting but Bangor is Bangor and Holywood is Holywood.
Bangor is pretty big and I don't think they have a club.

from st pauls website

QuoteThe next milestone in the story is the foundation of the St. Paul's Gaelic Football Club in 1979. St. Paul's is an amalgamation of the Holywood, Bangor and Newtownards clubs. In 1963 the Scrabo Harps club was founded in Newtownards. The Bangor club was founded in 1963 and remained active in the Down League until 1978.

You could add Donaghadee to that list
Don't Panic

Donagh

Quote from: nrico2006 on June 11, 2008, 09:13:44 AM
QuoteQuote from: nrico2006 on June 10, 2008, 02:52:06 PM

Same parish.

stpauls

Quote from: hardstation on June 11, 2008, 01:10:43 AM
Bangor?

St.Pauls will probably start shouting but Bangor is Bangor and Holywood is Holywood.
Bangor is pretty big and I don't think they have a club.

no, passedit got there before me!!

Guillem2

So St Paul's Holywood are the only football club in that huge area of North Down, East Belfast & Ards. Youse have a big pick. Do many Ards hurlers play football with youse?
Talking is an overrated way of communicating.

stpauls

Quote from: Guillem2 on June 11, 2008, 10:32:17 AM
So St Paul's Holywood are the only football club in that huge area of North Down, East Belfast & Ards. Youse have a big pick. Do many Ards hurlers play football with youse?

we might have a huge pick Guillem, but what percentage of the huge population would associate (or want to associate) themselves with the GAA, or to put it another way, are actually interested in playing with the club!!

bingobus

Although not in the North, Scotstown club in Monaghan covers a vast area and number of villages - They pick from the villages of Scotstown, Knockatallon, Ballinode, Tydavnet, Urbashanny (sp) and all the rural areas in between right into Monaghan Town.

They always operate very well on top of that. This year they have 2 Under 12's teams, they have a pick of 64 Under 12's without any Under 10's included. We're a town team and struggle for 20 U12's and have been starting about 4 U10's in that 20.

nrico2006

QuoteQuote from: nrico2006 on Today at 09:13:44 AM
Quote from: nrico2006 on June 10, 2008, 02:52:06 PM

Same parish.

Fair enough but the thread is covering towns/villages and not parishes, but as previously mentioned there is probably quite a few towns with no teams that are covered by another team in the parish.  Theres also the like of Portballintrae and Bready.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'