Irish News vs Newsletter

Started by Hereiam, November 03, 2009, 12:20:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hereiam

Been an Irish News reader for most of my life but recently have bought a few editions of the newsletter. I have to say the newsletter is a far more informative paper than the Irish news. If the newsletter had a more comprehensive coverage of GAA matters I would say I would buy it more often. The farming section in the newsletter is the best I've come across with all the up to date goings on where as the Irish news only has a single page per week. Now farming is the biggest past time/industry in these parts but the Irish news fails to capitalise on this. Off course the newsletter has a load of dribble in it too but that can be skimmed past. Having seen this the Irish news to me has just relied on its name for sales and doen't care much for the content. What do other people think about these two papers.

Minder

The Irish News is nothing more than a tabloid these days.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Overthebar!

irish news has turned into a tabloid in the past few years but they are out selling every other local paper over here.
wouldn't buy the newsletter myself. have picked it up a few times and not a fan atall, mind reading it the monday after the lions and they totally slated ogara (perhaps rightly so) but for me it was just an opportunity to get a dig at him after he kept humphreys out of the ireland team.  would even read the belfast telegraph before it...

Massey-135

i know farmers always get the newsletter for that reason, but otherwise the irish news is far far better lads! that allison morris is doing loads of good reporting these days and it's columnists are all very good, even yer man roy garland. that fergal boy with the beard and brian feeney are always worth reading. david roy in the music stuff rags my tits though. it's much better than a tabloid anyway

Hereiam

Have to agree that it is turning into a tabloid. Would never have dreamt of reading only the ole man lifted it by mistake one day. The one thing it does provide is that it gives you an insight to how things are been put to the other side. Never liked the belfast telegraph.

Tony Baloney

I actually lifted the Newsletter instead of the Irish News by accident on Saturday. Luckily I noticed before I got to the till!

I've read the NL a good few times in the in-laws house (Farming Life is the bible!) and it isn't actually too bad. I was expecting it to be a bit more blood-and-thunder than it was but maybe it has moderated its views over the years.

The womens columns in the IN do my head in - Maeve Connolly and that other doll who has a weekly gaa "babe" in shorts (Marie-Louise McCrory?).

Doogie Browser

Quote from: Tony Baloney on November 03, 2009, 01:25:55 PM
I actually lifted the Newsletter instead of the Irish News by accident on Saturday. Luckily I noticed before I got to the till!

I've read the NL a good few times in the in-laws house (Farming Life is the bible!) and it isn't actually too bad. I was expecting it to be a bit more blood-and-thunder than it was but maybe it has moderated its views over the years.

The womens columns in the IN do my head in - Maeve Connolly and that other doll who has a weekly gaa "babe" in shorts (Marie-Louise McCrory?).
You are not quite the demographic those columns are aimed at Tony!

haranguerer

Newsletter known for its farming supplement, so it bes lying round the house. As a paper I think it doesnt compare to the IN, it does seem to be very slanted (i know both have their target audiences, but NL always seems to be much more biased to me), and it stopped doing gaa for a long time, its only recently enough started it again - which showed me that it doesnt even make a pretence at trying to attract nationalist readers.

The weekend TV used to be the only thing worth looking at, and even then the irish channels were always tucked away in the corner, even though most of the readership of the sat edition (with the farming life) would get rte...

I also flick through it to see if theres ever any positive articles about people with catholic sounding names, or if the photo on the front of the farming life perchance features a fenian, but not so far...

Would have to agree the IN has become somewhat tabloidised though - I'm not a fan of the 'jokey' magazine style articles tbh: who cares what marie louise mccrory thinks is hot or not??

DownFanatic

Dan Kinney's Rod and Gun is a must read in the NL every Saturday.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Doogie Browser on November 03, 2009, 01:27:23 PM

Says who?!  ;) :D

Doogie Browser

Quote from: Tony Baloney on November 03, 2009, 01:36:42 PM
Quote from: Doogie Browser on November 03, 2009, 01:27:23 PM

Says who?!  ;) :D
I have to say I always read them too, my name is Doogie and I am a closet woman  :-[

thewobbler

The Irish News standards have dropped considerably in recent years, as evidenced by the current lead columnists.

- Jim Gibney's polarised and paranoid views should not be allowed anywhere near a position of influence.
- Newton Emerson was once amusing, but his personal crusade to highlight the ineptitude of our Civil Service is wearing very thin.
- Tom Kelly's column has never risen above the musings of someone with nothing original nor interesting to say.
- Maeve Connolly's style has never advanced beyond placement student. Journalists don't have to be informative, hard-hitting, entertaining or insightful in every article, but after nearly 10 years in the paper, she has yet to display any of these skills.
- And yet each of the aforementioned is a considerable step up on Bimpe "nothing to see here" Fatogan.

One Kevin Myers article is worth a collective two-dozen from the above.

At least their GAA coverage is good.

Doogie Browser

Quote from: thewobbler on November 03, 2009, 01:44:29 PM
you were doing so well too...

thewobbler

Doogie, I don't often agree with Myers, but I have to give him credit for making people think, and for tackling issues from different perspectives - across a range of subjects. It's what an opinion piece should be like.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: thewobbler on November 03, 2009, 01:44:29 PM
The Irish News standards have dropped considerably in recent years, as evidenced by the current lead columnists.

- Jim Gibney's polarised and paranoid views should not be allowed anywhere near a position of influence.
- Newton Emerson was once amusing, but his personal crusade to highlight the ineptitude of our Civil Service is wearing very thin.
- Tom Kelly's column has never risen above the musings of someone with nothing original nor interesting to say.
- Maeve Connolly's style has never advanced beyond placement student. Journalists don't have to be informative, hard-hitting, entertaining or insightful in every article, but after nearly 10 years in the paper, she has yet to display any of these skills.
- And yet each of the aforementioned is a considerable step up on Bimpe "nothing to see here" Fatogan.

At least their GAA coverage is good.
This is information the public needs reminded of continually so I am glad to see it. Now if only NICS etc. had some shame.