Mayo's (Where football is life) 3 greatest players

Started by mayogodhelpus@gmail.com, October 29, 2009, 01:51:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AbbeySider

Quote from: ballinaman on October 30, 2009, 09:49:37 AM
Thats fair enough, I can understand your line of thinking but WJP makes your list  ahead of McHale even though you say McHale was the best mid-fielder we ever had....

Willie Joe again has two All-Stars, and had the versitility of playing in the forwards and rarely went a game without getting a score. He played from 1977-1992 (I think) and would just shave it ahead of McHale in my book.

muppet

Quote from: ballinaman on October 30, 2009, 09:41:11 AM
Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on October 30, 2009, 09:19:17 AM
Lads there is no way James Horan can be in a top 3 ahead of Liam McHale. McHale was consistently excellent from 1988 to 1997. James Horan played from 1996 to 1999 essentially (and lost his place in 1997). He was a very good player but to put him in the top 3 is not right imo. He may have picked up two baubles and McHale only one but Jesus, McHale was the best player in the country in 1996. How often can you say that about a Mayo player?

Agreed. I remember seeing numerous jerseys in 1996 with the number 8 and GOD printed on the back.

That was in Ballina.

In Castlebar we had the number 8 with Mother Teresa printed on the back.
MWWSI 2017

ballinaman

Quote from: muppet on October 30, 2009, 10:35:29 AM
Lads there is no way James Horan can be in a top 3 ahead of Liam McHale. McHale was consistently excellent from 1988 to 1997. James Horan played from 1996 to 1999 essentially (and lost his place in 1997). He was a very good player but to put him in the top 3 is not right imo. He may have picked up two baubles and McHale only one but Jesus, McHale was the best player in the country in 1996. How often can you say that about a Mayo player?

Agreed. I remember seeing numerous jerseys in 1996 with the number 8 and GOD printed on the back.

That was in Ballina.

Was that because she was Castlebars best chance of having a player on the county team at the time?? ;D

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: ballinaman on October 30, 2009, 10:41:58 AM
Quote from: muppet on October 30, 2009, 10:35:29 AM

That was in Ballina.

Was that because she was Castlebars best chance of having a player on the county team at the time?? ;D

She would probably have done better than poor Tom Reilly!
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

magpie seanie

Quote from: AbbeySider on October 29, 2009, 04:20:22 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on October 29, 2009, 03:57:22 PM
David Brady
Tom Parsons
Kevin McStay

Stick to Sligo football Seanie

There's an obvious answer which I'll just not bother typing.  ;)

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: magpie seanie on October 30, 2009, 11:00:31 AM
David Brady
Tom Parsons
Kevin McStay

Without agreeing without (obviously!), I see the point you're trying to make but McStay is from the west bank of the Moy I thought.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

ballinaman

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on October 30, 2009, 11:07:12 AM
Quote from: magpie seanie on October 30, 2009, 11:00:31 AM
David Brady
Tom Parsons
Kevin McStay

Without agreeing without (obviously!), I see the point you're trying to make but McStay is from the west bank of the Moy I thought.

Correct. Killala road.

magpie seanie

McStay was just thrown in because of his obvious deep love for all things Sligo as well as my undying admiration for him!

They were all throwaway really. Bit of a laugh. Was hoping to catch a few more but failed dismally. just the one.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: AbbeySider on October 30, 2009, 10:02:59 AM
Thats fair enough, I can understand your line of thinking but WJP makes your list  ahead of McHale even though you say McHale was the best mid-fielder we ever had....

Willie Joe again has two All-Stars, and had the versitility of playing in the forwards and rarely went a game without getting a score. He played from 1977-1992 (I think) and would just shave it ahead of McHale in my book.
For my tuppence worth, Liam was indeed the best midfielder we have had – but only for a limited time.
He was a slow developer and only reached his full potential around the time of the ’96 final. He had spent a long number of years getting there, whereas Wilie Joe rose to the top and stayed there for a much longer spell.
Liam played against the Dubs in ’85 and he was as ungainly and awkward as could be. The Dub supporters jeered every time he tried to solo and I’m afraid they had good reason to. But he was able to gain possession and distribute the ball better than anyone else even then. His timing and his ability with the ball in his hand was undisputed but once he tried any sort of footwork, his inexperience showed up. Fair dues to him, he persevered and by ’96 he was almost the finished article but he was never good at shooting for points. Like Ciaran Mac was to be, he scored some spectacular long range ones alright but he missed far more from easy positions and he did insist on having a go when he could have been better off passing it to a better placed colleague.
Shooting did not come easily to Liam but he insisted on having a go far too many times. 
Willie Joe was consistent and never failed to give it his best shot and I cannot recall a single game where he was outplayed by any marker from any other county. You could also add that Mayo had the best defence in the country in the mid 90s and Liam had plenty of able colleagues to help him out, whereas the same couldn’t be said for Wilie Joe. There were always some good players behind him but Liam had generally better all around support.
I would be very glad to have either back right now but I wouldn’t attempt to compare them one to one. Different times and different teams, I guess.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

AbbeySider

Quote from: Lar Naparka on October 30, 2009, 12:21:01 PM
Willie Joe... Liam McHale...
I would be very glad to have either back right now but I wouldn't attempt to compare them one to one. Different times and different teams, I guess.

Jez Lar I dont know about that.
Sure Willie Joe must be in his 50's at this stage and McHale would probably be in his 40's would he?

It would be a big ask...  ;) :P

Lar Naparka

Quote from: AbbeySider on October 30, 2009, 12:59:06 PM
Willie Joe... Liam McHale...
I would be very glad to have either back right now but I wouldn’t attempt to compare them one to one. Different times and different teams, I guess.

Jez Lar I dont know about that.
Sure Willie Joe must be in his 50's at this stage and McHale would probably be in his 40's would he?

It would be a big ask...  ;) :P
First of all, if I don't get away from this computer, I've just been told I better go and graze the long acre if I want to get any dinner. ;D
Do you ever hear that one before.
With regard to Liam and Willie Joe, I could give you a very direct answer to that one but I don't want to offend a townie of yours any more than I have to!
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

RogerMilla

AbbeySider

Quote from: Lar Naparka on October 30, 2009, 01:14:30 PM
First of all, if I don't get away from this computer, I've just been told I better go and graze the long acre if I want to get any dinner. ;D
Do you ever hear that one before.

I heard it before but I have to plead ignorance...
I think it means "hitting the road" as the long acre is the grassy verges on the side of the road!
Its a good one, and ill have to use it again!

Quote from: Lar Naparka on October 30, 2009, 01:14:30 PM
With regard to Liam and Willie Joe, I could give you a very direct answer to that one but I don't want to offend a townie of yours any more than I have to!

I can imagine!  ;)

Speaking of mid-fielders... What of the great Colm McManamon ?

A rough diamond I tell ya...
One of the strongest men ever to wear the green and red...

muppet

For my tuppence worth, Liam was indeed the best midfielder we have had – but only for a limited time.
He was a slow developer and only reached his full potential around the time of the '96 final. He had spent a long number of years getting there, whereas Wilie Joe rose to the top and stayed there for a much longer spell.
Liam played against the Dubs in '85 and he was as ungainly and awkward as could be. The Dub supporters jeered every time he tried to solo and I'm afraid they had good reason to. But he was able to gain possession and distribute the ball better than anyone else even then. His timing and his ability with the ball in his hand was undisputed but once he tried any sort of footwork, his inexperience showed up. Fair dues to him, he persevered and by '96 he was almost the finished article but he was never good at shooting for points. Like Ciaran Mac was to be, he scored some spectacular long range ones alright but he missed far more from easy positions and he did insist on having a go when he could have been better off passing it to a better placed colleague.
Shooting did not come easily to Liam but he insisted on having a go far too many times. 
Willie Joe was consistent and never failed to give it his best shot and I cannot recall a single game where he was outplayed by any marker from any other county. You could also add that Mayo had the best defence in the country in the mid 90s and Liam had plenty of able colleagues to help him out, whereas the same couldn't be said for Wilie Joe. There were always some good players behind him but Liam had generally better all around support.
I would be very glad to have either back right now but I wouldn't attempt to compare them one to one. Different times and different teams, I guess.

Lar I don't think Liam played in those games in 1985. I always thought his 1st appearance in Croker was against Monaghan in the League quarter final in 1986.

Accordng to http://mayogaablog.com/?p=2749 this was the team against Roscommon in the Connacht Final and I don't think Liam McHale came in after that.

MAYO: Eugene Lavin; Martin Carney, Peter Forde, Dermot Flanagan; Frank Noone, John Maughan, John Finn; TJ Kilgallon, WJ Padden; Henry Gavin (0-1), Jimmy Burke, Noel Durcan (1-1); Kevin McStay (0-7, five frees, one '50'), Sean Lowry (1-0), Eugene McHale (0-2).  Subs: Padraig Brogan for Gavin, Des McHale for Brogan, Billy Fitzpatrick for McHale.
MWWSI 2017

AbbeySider

Quote from: muppet on October 30, 2009, 02:22:34 PM

Liam played against the Dubs in '85 and he was as ungainly and awkward as could be.

Lar I don't think Liam played in those games in 1985. I always thought his 1st appearance in Croker was against Monaghan in the League quarter final in 1986.

Accordng to http://mayogaablog.com/?p=2749 this was the team against Roscommon in the Connacht Final and I don't think Liam McHale came in after that.

MAYO: Eugene Lavin; Martin Carney, Peter Forde, Dermot Flanagan; Frank Noone, John Maughan, John Finn; TJ Kilgallon, WJ Padden; Henry Gavin (0-1), Jimmy Burke, Noel Durcan (1-1); Kevin McStay (0-7, five frees, one '50'), Sean Lowry (1-0), Eugene McHale (0-2).  Subs: Padraig Brogan for Gavin, Des McHale for Brogan, Billy Fitzpatrick for McHale.

Liam McHale played in 85/86 NFL division 2
against Donegal (in Charlestown),
against Galway (in Balllina),
against Longford (in Longford)
and against Dublin in McHale park (1/12/1985)....

That could be the game Lar is on about?