No argument, case closed

yip spot on! no debate lads sorry.

qz

Quote from: ONeill on October 29, 2009, 10:23:45 AM
For me, from 80-09

1. Peter Canavan
2. Sean Cavanagh
3. Philip Jordan

The lads from the 80s were good but none on a par with the above. The 90s were crappy enough although a few decent defenders worth a mention. Frank McGuigan '84 had one majestic game.
what about Frank in the '73 ulster final - captain at midfield when still a minor having won the minor final 15 minutes earlier. he was class!

Fuzzman

Wow Fair play to ya Lynchboy for mentioning Patsy.
Not bad for a wee rural club in the sperrins to have Dooher, O'Neill and Patsy to be all mentioned on this thread.

I was just too young to see anything of Patsy bar the odd vague memory of club games in his last days.
Can you recall any good matches by him

Likewise with Frank McGuigan as I just missed out on the 1984 year.
Did Frank have many years like that year in 84 before he got the bad injury?

I would have Peter at No1 cos he played in a time where defences were better organised and players were much fitter.
Whereas years ago if you were talented footballer you stood out a mile cos nobody else had the fitness levels they have today to make up for that lack of skill

I always thought Cavlan had loads of talent but too often wasted it for one reason or another.
From listening to older lads Iggy Jones sounded like a real star and so even though I never saw him I think he deserves to be in the top 3.

I suppose I'd put Cavanagh at No 3 as he's already won 3 All stars, 1 player of the year but would have our own Stevie O'Neill a close 4th. Its just a pity he's had so many injuries. I loved his 10 points against Francie in 2005.

Zapatista

Are you talking about Peter Ward buy any chance Fuzz?

Fingers corssed :D

longrunsthefox

Quote from: qz on October 29, 2009, 01:41:08 PM
Quote from: give her dixie on October 29, 2009, 12:44:16 AM
1. Iggy Jones

2. Frank Mc Guigan

3. Peter Canavan.

No argument, case closed

yip spot on! no debate lads sorry.

You would need to be over 60 to know what Iggy was like. It is pure hearsay-there isn't even video footage of him.

full back

ONeill

How can anyone include Iggy Jones when they haven't even seen footage of him?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

No way ref

Eddie Devlin
Frankie Donnelly
Jackie Taggart

Zapatista

Peter the Great
Finbar McConnell
Brian Dooher

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Fuzzman on October 29, 2009, 02:01:56 PM
Not bad for a wee rural club in the sperrins to have Dooher, O'Neill and Patsy to be all mentioned on this thread.

I was just too young to see anything of Patsy bar the odd vague memory of club games in his last days.

I would have Peter at No1 cos he played in a time where defences were better organised and players were much fitter.
Whereas years ago if you were talented footballer you stood out a mile cos nobody else had the fitness levels they have today to make up for that lack of skill

I always thought Cavlan had loads of talent but too often wasted it for one reason or another.
From listening to older lads Iggy Jones sounded like a real star and so even though I never saw him I think he deserves to be in the top 3.

I suppose I'd put Cavanagh at No 3 as he's already won 3 All stars, 1 player of the year but would have our own Stevie O'Neill a close 4th. Its just a pity he's had so many injuries. I loved his 10 points against Francie in 2005.
vaguely rem bits of patsy on telly - he was the brian mcguigan of his day, unlike most tyrone players of that era he was slky skilled.
imo the reason why he never made it to become a bigger/big star was he was yet another man too inj prone

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Fuzzman on October 29, 2009, 02:01:56 PM

btw - werent they all seperate clubs then - before the amalgamation of 'na fianna' ?

No way ref

Patsy Kerlin was a superb athlete but silky skilled ?? You must be joking

lynchbhoy

Quote from: No way ref on October 29, 2009, 04:30:50 PM
Patsy Kerlin was a superb athlete but silky skilled ?? You must be joking
[/quote
touted in the media as such way back then !!
not in comparison to todays skilled players, but most def in comparison to those 'agricultural' types like budgie oneill etc !!  :D

johnpower

Canavan
   Cavanagh
   Dooher

Based on what I have seen and results