Clare

Started by The GAA, October 27, 2009, 10:26:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

INDIANA

Quote from: muppet on November 15, 2009, 03:15:43 PM
Quote from: Zulu on November 15, 2009, 02:59:02 PM
Cork did.

I would have thought that was a very famous win. The same poster is patronising others on their 'lack of knowledge' on another thread.

Hmm about as much as you know about erecting statues in wexford it seems.

Zulu

Quote from: INDIANA on November 15, 2009, 03:37:37 PM
Quote from: Zulu on November 15, 2009, 02:59:02 PM
Cork did.
what did they win last year Zulu? remind me.

Are you only picking and chosing the years that suit your argument or are you standing over your assertion that 'history has proven' it?

muppet

Quote from: INDIANA on November 15, 2009, 02:01:54 PM
The common denominator is with all these disputes. These teams never win anything anyway post the coup. And history has proven that.

All..........never win............. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

MWWSI 2017

INDIANA

post the coup- its plain and simple english lads. yesterday was history lads doesn't have to be 5 years ago. Mail me your address and I'll send you an oxford dictionary for christmas ;D.

Or perhaps as a forfeit Muppet could give Eddie a hand with Nicky Rackard's statue ;D

muppet

Quote from: INDIANA on November 15, 2009, 03:47:56 PM
post the coup- its plain and simple english lads. yesterday was history lads doesn't have to be 5 years ago. Mail me your address and I'll send you an oxford dictionary for christmas ;D.

Or perhaps as a forfeit Muppet could give Eddie a hand with Nicky Rackard's statue ;D

You can't hide your ignorance behind smilies.

Cork won the 1st Championship they contested after the strike.

When you look up the dictionary have a look at the word 'never'.
MWWSI 2017

INDIANA

They didn't get rid of any manager in 2002. Bertie Og Murphy had resigned a long, long time before any trouble manifested itself that year. That was  a strike between them and the board. The current strikes are an extension of the cork strikes last year which are getting rid of managers. And last year cork won nothing, waterford won nothing the year before AND Clare and Limerick will win nothing this year.

DuffleKing

:D

lol - way to back pedal

Zulu

QuoteThey didn't get rid of any manager in 2002. Bertie Og Murphy had resigned a long, long time before any trouble manifested itself that year. That was  a strike between them and the board. The current strikes are an extension of the cork strikes last year which are getting rid of managers. And last year cork won nothing, waterford won nothing the year before AND Clare and Limerick will win nothing this year.

Cork were only beaten by Tipp and Kilkenny last year and you yourself said they couldn't beat Kilkenny irrespective of who was manager so their lack of success last year proves nothing.

Waterford got to an AI months after getting rid of Justin, something he failed to do despite meeting average Clare and Limerick teams in AI semi finals.

And of course Clare and Limerick won't win anything this year but that doesn't mean that they shouldn't be looking for the best set ups. Are you suggesting that if a team doesn't have the talent to win a trophy they should be happy with any old preparation?

SLIGONIAN

"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

orangeman

Former All-Star Tony Griffin has retired from inter-county hurling with Clare, citing a lack of 'confidence in the current management structure' as one of the main reasons for doing so.

His decision indicates that the squad remain opposed to manager Mike McNamara and his backroom team, although attempts are being made to resolve the issue.

The board have backed McNamara and his management team of Ollie Baker and Alan Cunningham, but the players are expected to voice their opposition to this again this week.

As reported in The Examiner, Griffin said: 'Based on this year's experiences I do not have sufficient confidence in the current management structure and I cannot dedicate myself to something I do not fully believe in.'

He added: 'I take a certain amount of responsibility for our poor season in 2009 but feel justified in stating that the correct structure was not in place in order for the team to operate to its true potential.

'I have every faith that under the correct circumstances and, in particular, considering the successful campaign of our U21s, Clare will soon be back where we belong - at the very top.

He also went on to cite work commitments as part of the reason for stepping down.

AZOffaly

I read his interview in the Tribune yesterday. He came across as a man very much driven in terms of the science of preparation. It's his field of study as well as obviously being part of the routine of GAA life.

He made his points well, and I'm sure some of them will resonate with Zulu and the lads who are into the science of it. He did not come off as a disgruntled player, just someone who fundementally disagreed with the technical approach to preparation. And he exercised his right to walk away, so fair play to him.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 16, 2009, 12:42:57 PM
I read his interview in the Tribune yesterday. He came across as a man very much driven in terms of the science of preparation. It's his field of study as well as obviously being part of the routine of GAA life.

He made his points well, and I'm sure some of them will resonate with Zulu and the lads who are into the science of it. He did not come off as a disgruntled player, just someone who fundementally disagreed with the technical approach to preparation. And he exercised his right to walk away, so fair play to him.

Ya I agree wholeheartdly, when you have to train yourself because the managements methods are so poor its a sad situation. I thought he came across well and reinforced my own thoughts on the conflict. Players are right on this one for sure. Just need to improve the communication lines with County Board and it will all get sorted.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

orangeman

From a man who knows :

Cork hurler Ronan Curran has advised the Clare players to quickly sort out the row engulfing hurling in the county at the moment.

The Banner players are opposed to manager Mike McNamara and his backroom team, while the county board have backed him, leading to fears of a player strike similar to that in Cork last year.

Curran was part of the Cork squad that refused to play for the Rebel county due to disagreement with the county board's methods in appointing the senior hurling manager.

That strike lasted several months and led to the postponement of Allianz NHL matches.

Former All-Star Tony Griffin has already quit the Clare panel and Curran has urged the players to find a quick resolution.

He told The Examiner: 'The faster you can get something sorted, the better. Maybe both sides can come together and work something out. Once it escalates, things just get messy and no-one wants that.'
He went on: 'It does take a lot out of you. Half the thing is dodging people, dodging you guys (the media), dodging any questions that come. Then you have all the meetings. There's a lot in it, the worry and the nerves of the whole thing. It also takes a lot out of management and whoever else is involved with the thing.

'It's somewhere no-one wants to be and the faster it's sorted out in Clare, the better.'

A Clare player delegation led by captain Brian O'Connell are set to meet with County Board officials to outline their opposition to manager Mike McNamara staying in place for the 2010 season.

Roashter

Curran is definately right, the sooner Clare sort out their affairs the better.

But it's a bit cheeky for a Cork man to give advice on how to settle disputes between players/managers/county boards IMO

muppet

Quote from: Roashter on November 18, 2009, 01:51:08 PM
Curran is definately right, the sooner Clare sort out their affairs the better.

But it's a bit cheeky for a Cork man to give advice on how to settle disputes between players/managers/county boards IMO

Yes it is far better coming from people who have had no experience whatsoever in these matters.
MWWSI 2017