What next? Meath report Ross Carr over comment.....ffs

Started by spiritof91and94, October 13, 2009, 04:46:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spiritof91and94

Meath fuming over Carr remarks
13 October 2009

The Meath county board is to send a letter of complaint to RTE regarding a remark made by former Down footballer and manager Ross Carr about Martin O'Connell on the Sunday Game's All-Ireland final show.

As part of the GAA's 125 celebrations, the studio audience on the night of the All-Ireland football final was made up of prominent managers, administrators, players and ex-players who reminisced about their personal experiences and involvement in the GAA.

Carr and O'Connell, who marked each other in the 1991 All-Ireland final which Down won by two points, were both members of the audience. Carr joked that: "Martin is a butcher by trade and he was good at it at half back too", and while the comment drew a smile from the Team of the Millennium member, Meath delegates didn't see the funny side of it at their recent county board meeting in Trim.

"It bothered me what was said about Martin O'Connell who is a role model for every footballer in Meath, Leinster and Ireland," said an outraged Dunderry delegate Tommy Nally.

Meath chairman Barney Allen said: "I was also taken aback at what was said."

Dunsany's Richard Harrihill proposed that the county board write to the Head of Sport in RTE to make their feelings known.

"Hopefully, in time, they will then address it," he added.

orangeman

What next is right ?

Martin O'Connell was a fine footballer and played on a team who could play it hard and tough but that had excellent footballers on it.

Those Meath men have got very sensitive - I wouldn't think theere'd be too many like that all the same.

Croí na hÉireann

Jaysus, there was a time when they'd take pride in comments like that...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

bingobus

Going out of the way to be offended. I'm sure of Martin was put out on the night, he'd have pulled carr on it off camera.

I even wonder did the MCB get O'Connells blessing to be offended  ???

Fear ón Srath Bán

Well, I hadn't even heard of this until now. And thanks to these oh-so-soft-skinned Meath men, half the country will hear about it now, and worse than that, they'll wonder are they so prickly about it because there's at least a grain of truth in this jocular accusation.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

interested

They must have little to talk about at Meath County Board meetings. ???

thejuice

F u c k sake, I have never been a big fan of the Meath county board, I'm not going to say much here but I can only roll my eyes a this nonsense. It was a joke by Ross, Martin apparently laughed about it too at the time. I really dont see the need for a complaint. Have these gobsh1tes nothing better to do with the County finals coming up.

Ah I'm getting angry now. Martin's a legend.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

under the bar

Brian Dooher says he's no butcher, a fine apprentice maybe but not a butcher!  ;)

Jinxy

Martin should have put his foot down and sorted Ross out.  :D
If you were any use you'd be playing.

down6061689194

Ross may win the support of a few who haven't been major fans in recent weeks.

Ridiculous over exaggeration.

stew

Meath men would have been the last boyos I would have thought would have stooped to this level, Carr was joking you feckin imbeciles. :(
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Gaffer

"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

boojangles

longrunsthefox

How come it took so long for the comment to sink in? (unlike O'Connell's studs). Sure that was about three weeks ago... 

ONeill

No sympathy for Carr either though. Smart-arse.

What about a fight-off.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.