Harte's book-

Started by longrunsthefox, October 10, 2009, 03:00:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fuzzman

I only read the Irish Times article yesterday and it sure makes for interesting reading.

Of course we could be all on the wrong track but I noticed myself last year how Sean seemed to have quite a few differences of opinion with Mickey and he's not one to keep his head down and say nothing.
He seemed very vocal on the GPA and did I read he wouldn't be opposed to pay per play or am I wrong?
He knows Harte is very much the other side of this coin and sees winning AI's or even being able to wear the Tyrone jersey as an honour in itself. I suppose when you're used to success from an early age and winning all stars and medals every other year you don't appreciate the hard times Tyrone went through.

Also I thought Big Sean was kinda rubbing Harte's nose in the winning of the International rules a little too much.
I think I heard him say after the match that he was so proud to captain his country and that he loves this sport despite what others think.

As someone said above its a wee bit like Keano & McCarthy where the player is losing the run of himself a little, even if he is one the best players we've ever had. He could learn a lot from Mr Dooher and keep yer head down, work hard and let your performance on the field do your talking.

This is just my own opinion of course and no-one knows for sure was Sean really sick that night or was he just feeling the pinch that he was the main Plan A that day and if he failed the team then people would point the finger at him. I doubt it somehow.

Final Whistle

Undoubtably sick that day. Its was an easy option of Harte to blame Sean, Harte had a stinker on the line and his tactics were predictable and challangeable. Lets look at Seans influence on the year, average against Armagh, Derry, Kildare. Good against Antrim when he was afforded room to manouvre. Cork would not have gave him any space either so I don't think his exclusion had much of an effect. I know for a fact Sean was unwell, could he have played? Probably, but we are told its a 30 man squad constantly and for a sick man to take the place of a fit healthy man is unfair.

There is a massive elephant in the room here. What is Harte's motive in this book? How can a manager criticise a player for looking GPA money yet jeapordise the harmony of his squad with a book for the one and only reason of making money?

Will the panel now stay together for the 09/10 season?

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Final Whistle on October 13, 2009, 11:28:14 AM
There is a massive elephant in the room here. What is Harte's motive in this book? How can a manager criticise a player for looking GPA money yet jeapordise the harmony of his squad with a book for the one and only reason of making money?

That's something he's going to have to square with the panel, particularly his motive (will some of the sales profits make their way to the players' fund?).

Yes. Despite the stink none will walk, though there are fences to be mended.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

BennyHarp

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on October 13, 2009, 11:38:24 AM

That's something he's going to have to square with the panel, particularly his motive (will some of the sales profits make their way to the players' fund?).

Yes. Despite the stink none will walk, though there are fences to be mended.

Harte has always been a very meticulous planner, therefore i would be very surprised if he hadnt spoken to those involved before letting this book go to press! I personally think it is not a good idea to release a book while still in position - however the tone of that extract on Cavannagh seemed to me, to be more reflective of Hartes's role in not, in his opinion, helping Sean in the way he should throughout the year and not noticing how the pressure was building on him and impacting on his performances! I dont really think he was very critical of Sean at all - so therefore wouldnt really pose a problem for next year!
That was never a square ball!!

amigo

Undoubtably sick that day. Its was an easy option of Harte to blame Sean, Harte had a stinker on the line and his tactics were predictable and challangeable. Lets look at Seans influence on the year, average against Armagh, Derry, Kildare. Good against Antrim when he was afforded room to manouvre. Cork would not have gave him any space either so I don't think his exclusion had much of an effect. I know for a fact Sean was unwell, could he have played? Probably, but we are told its a 30 man squad constantly and for a sick man to take the place of a fit healthy man is unfair.

Final whistle takes a swipe at his Messiah Harte!! You must not criticise our Sean!! :o lol

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Fuzzman

orangeman

This is controversial to say the least.

Harte questions Cavanagh's non-start

Tyrone's Sean Cavanagh
13 October 2009

Tyrone manager Mickey Harte has sensationally questioned the reasons for star player Sean Cavanagh's inability to start this year's All-Ireland semi-final defeat to Cork.

The 2008 Footballer of the Year did not feature in the game until the last 20 minutes. The official line at the time was that he had been unable to start because of a stomach bug.

But in his autobiography to be released this week, Harte offers a different perspective on that morning, suggesting "the roof simply caved in" on his player with the weight of the pressure on him.

Harte admits to being "puzzled" when Cavanagh came to him on the morning of the game and told him that he was "wrecked", wasn't "feeling good" and hadn't slept at all that night.

"I needed to try and see things from his perspective. Apart from a few isolated flashes of brilliance, his form hadn't been great all season. Why was that?" he asked.

"As a player Sean had always delivered. He was an icon for us and that greatness had been rewarded in 2008. Maybe the pressure was stemming from that."

Cavanagh is expected to miss the early rounds of next year's National League after undergoing surgery recently

saffron sam2

Quote from: BennyHarp on October 13, 2009, 11:56:34 AM
Harte has always been a very meticulous planner, therefore i would be very surprised that if he hadnt spoken to those involved before letting this book go to press! I personally think it is not a good idea to release a book while still in position - however the tone of that extract on Cavannagh seemed to me, to be more reflective of Hartes's role in not, in his opinion, helping Sean in the way he should throughout the year and not noticing how the pressure was building on him and impacting on his performances! I dont really think he was very critical of Sean at all - so therefore wouldnt really pose a problem for next year!

That would be my reading of things also.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Final Whistle

Quote from: amigo on October 13, 2009, 11:59:05 AM

Final whistle takes a swipe at his Messiah Harte!! You must not criticise our Sean!! :o lol

Not at all boy. Dont have me to pull out your Mickey Harte quotes. You know the one Im on about where you "stated" you and SON were great buddies and that SON would never play for Harte again after Harte screwed him over.

Point of note, I did not criticise Harte Amigo, I wouldn't dare. Just seems to me that it was an end of career passage not one that would give you the greatest preparation for another AI assault. But in saying that Harte knows how to get the best from the players and hopefully by including this statement in his book it will show Sean how strongly Harte feels he should be concentrating on his football and return him to the form which seen him swing 5 majestic points over the bar against Kerry in an AI Final, Win Player of the Year 2008, Lift the Cormac McAnallen Cup, Captain his club to the Div 2 League title, Win the GPA Player of the year and return himself to number 1 player in the GAA.

I have no doubt that he will and you amigo can continue lurking in the shadows of the GAA Board corridors afraid to come in and argue your point.

Fuzzman

Indeed it sounds reflective but I think its cleverly trying to ask himself what he could do but it still leaves this underlying feeling that Sean has got himself into too much crap now and it sounds like he can't deal with it.

Its weird that he doesn't even mention the stomach bug at all which by its absence surely speaks volumes.

No matter what way you look at it I don't think Sean will take it with a pinch of salt.

Maybe he's not pleased at Colm getting a rough deal. He surely should have got more match time this year.

SidelineKick

Quote from: Fuzzman on October 13, 2009, 12:24:29 PM
Indeed it sounds reflective but I think its cleverly trying to ask himself what he could do but it still leaves this underlying feeling that Sean has got himself into too much crap now and it sounds like he can't deal with it.

Its weird that he doesn't even mention the stomach bug at all which by its absence surely speaks volumes.

No matter what way you look at it I don't think Sean will take it with a pinch of salt.

Maybe he's not pleased at Colm getting a rough deal. He surely should have got more match time this year.

He gets too much already if you ask me!
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

Final Whistle

Quote from: Fuzzman on October 13, 2009, 12:24:29 PM

No Fuzz your incorrect there, Colm has been injured all year,  similar to Sean and Ryan Mellon which both received surgery on last week. Both Sean and Colm carried injuries which curtailed their action in last years football.

Overthebar!

what is the story with sean oneil and hartes fall out? heard son got shafted by harte when they were working for the same company but no sure if it is just rumours

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Overthebar! on October 13, 2009, 12:52:22 PM
what is the story with sean oneil and hartes fall out? heard son got shafted by harte when they were working for the same company but no sure if it is just rumours

That's a new one on us, please do tell.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...