British Isles, Western European Isles, North Atlantic Isles

Started by mayogodhelpus@gmail.com, September 26, 2009, 11:20:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gallsman

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on September 27, 2009, 01:24:24 AM
Quote from: J70 on September 26, 2009, 11:48:55 PM
Couldn't give a bollocks. Its a pretty standard, long established geographical name and it makes sense to treat the islands as a group or even unit, whether you're talking about science or trade and economics or whatever. If anyone for whom this is an issue ever plans on studying ecology or geology, they'd better thicken their skin in preparation for courses and books on biogeography of the British Isles, flora of the British Isles, atlases of the birds or bumblebees of the British Isles etc. etc!

Ah ffs getting bored with your dick and dora veiw on things.
Your a yank and coming "home" once every couple of years doesn't make yo a person who can comment on Irish affairs!
Really sorry for having to say this but your constant "fencing" and "west brit" edidedness is starting to get annoying.

Eejit.

ziggysego

Quote from: muppet on September 27, 2009, 05:05:28 AM
Quote from: ziggysego on September 26, 2009, 11:26:07 PM
Of all the terminlogy, this is the one that grates me the most.

The next time you say America instead of the US or the States give yourself a bollocking.

Miaow!
Testing Accessibility

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: stephenite on September 27, 2009, 07:32:52 AM
Couldn't give a bollocks. Its a pretty standard, long established geographical name and it makes sense to treat the islands as a group or even unit, whether you're talking about science or trade and economics or whatever. If anyone for whom this is an issue ever plans on studying ecology or geology, they'd better thicken their skin in preparation for courses and books on biogeography of the British Isles, flora of the British Isles, atlases of the birds or bumblebees of the British Isles etc. etc!

Your a yank and coming "home" once every couple of years doesn't make yo a person who can comment on Irish affairs!
Really sorry for having to say this but your constant "fencing" and "west brit" edidedness is starting to get annoying.

Big words from the drunken coward :-*

Really, your a bit of an internet warrior yourself Stephenite, was it the westbrit reference that stung?
Tbc....

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: gallsman on September 27, 2009, 10:58:26 AM

Eejit.

Oh here he is, still haven't responded to me on the other thread?
Tbc....

J70

I couldn't give two f**ks if you don't like my opinion GDA. As to the issue, I was stating my perfectly valid view, which is the same as that I held in all the years I lived there (not that the fact that I'm currently living in the states is relevant). It is a simple fact that British Isles is a commonly used, non-loaded geographical term in many fields. Stating so and expressing nonchalance about it doesn't make me a west brit (or if it does, the term is a fairly vacuous one).

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: J70 on September 27, 2009, 02:13:19 PM

I couldn't give two f**ks if you don't like my opinion GDA. As to the issue, I was stating my perfectly valid view, which is the same as that I held in all the years I lived there (not that the fact that I'm currently living in the states is relevant). It is a simple fact that British Isles is a commonly used, non-loaded geographical term in many fields. Stating so and expressing nonchalance about it doesn't make me a west brit (or if it does, the term is a fairly vacuous one).

J70 my apologies as I went OTT in the rant, I feel that we would probably have completely different views on just about everything and I feel it is probably best to just agree to disagree.My reference to your "ability" to comment on Irish affairs was wrong, and I retract it.
Tbc....

J70

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on September 27, 2009, 02:35:30 PM

J70 my apologies as I went OTT in the rant, I feel that we would probably have completely different views on just about everything and I feel it is probably best to just agree to disagree.My reference to your "ability" to comment on Irish affairs was wrong, and I retract it.

No problem lad! On the sauce again? ;D

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: J70 on September 27, 2009, 02:37:45 PM
Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on September 27, 2009, 02:35:30 PM

No problem lad! On the sauce again? ;D

Aye celebrating another Celtic victory.  ;)
Tbc....

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

I have found many British people refer to Irish people as being British, when you point out you are from Ireland and from the Republic they say ya I know your Independent but aren't you British because your in the British Isles, fckn hell, that pi$$es me off.

Same ones can't accept being called European, despite the fact that they are from Europe & are European. I love pointing out that the Irish are European and the French are so how do they manage not to be stuck between us.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

longrunsthefox

What really pisses me off is the way the press refer to Lithuanians, Romanians, east Europeans, blacks as 'foreign nationals' especially in court reports but wouldn't describe someone from USA or Australia as 'foreign national.'  Is like a derogatory term.   

Roger

Americans should be afforded their own welcoming term and be called 'aliens'.

5 Sams

The worst of the lot is the DUP/Free ps/hardline prods use of the word Ulster....now that really grinds my fcukin gears....
The Aristocrat Years

J70

Quote from: 5 Sams on September 27, 2009, 07:27:41 PM
The worst of the lot is the DUP/Free ps/hardline prods use of the word Ulster....now that really grinds my fcukin gears....

Yes, that one annoys the f**k out of me too!

muppet

Quote from: longrunsthefox on September 27, 2009, 06:49:03 PM
What really pisses me off is the way the press refer to Lithuanians, Romanians, east Europeans, blacks as 'foreign nationals' especially in court reports but wouldn't describe someone from USA or Australia as 'foreign national.'  Is like a derogatory term.

Yes this is very true.

Even good stories such as a foreign national seeks election. http://ceanncomhairle.oireachtas.ie/engagements.asp

I've never heard fo rexample the unfortunate Kathy Sinnott called a foreign national.
MWWSI 2017

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: longrunsthefox on September 27, 2009, 06:49:03 PM

Good point.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.