Armagh Players Release Statement

Started by topgun, September 11, 2009, 11:53:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DuffleKing

Logan

Fixed

Quote from: DuffleKing on September 11, 2009, 01:14:38 PM
People close to the CB made an agreement with grimley re the manager's job and agreed to ask the CB to put same in writing.
County board did not have time to put the agreement in writing as some were on holidays and the deadline was (arguably) impractical and too short. Grimley smelled a rat- again - and walked.

Zulu

Quote1- There is precious little cop on in relation to county boards here, ie in terms of how they actually work. i'd say the amount of current or ex-board delegates here could be counted on one hand. Most of the people who criticise county baords here wouldn't do the the job themselves and people here know that.

I certainly will serve on a CB, given the opportunity, but I've accepted I know nothing about how the process in Armagh worked so I said if the Armagh CB's decision was motivated by anything other than what is best for Armagh GAA then the players are entitled to act as they see fit. And they are certainly entitled to issue a statement.

Quote2- For me the Armagh situation is simple. The Armagh County board announced a process they had to go through Zulu. This is before Grimley resigned.
Grimley then resigned and privately made himself available for the position. However he had reservations about going through the interview process and simply saw himself as the best canditate. Which is fair enough.
That left the county board between a rock and a hard place. They had announced a transparent process with a management committee who would interview people put forward by the clubs. Now were they simply suppose to eradicate that process based on the availability of one canditate and scrub the remainder of the rest of the clubs nominations? In fairness Grimley had 2 guys on that management committe who were definitely going to vote for him, so thats as much as anyone could ask.
Grimley got a massive offer from Monaghan which he had to take in a short time span or not at all. And he took it. Thats life. And people need to get over it.

If that is what happened then fine, but others seem to dispute that version of events and I'm sure the Armagh players are fairly well informed as to what is going on and they felt that things weren't handled well so I don't see the problem with them issuing a statement to that effect.

QuotePlayers play- county board look after other things.

Only as long as CB officials are doing their best for the GAA in the county, if they are allowing politics or personnel issues colour their decisions in relation to the county team then the lads volunteering their time to play for the county team are well entitled to voice their concerns. (Not saying that is what happened here btw as I don't know)

QuoteWhat some people propose here is total anarchy.

No it's not.

QuoteWhat have wexford, waterford and cork hurlerswon in the last few years? F*** all.

Irrelevant.

guevara

A lot of ex players have used the Media to state their desire for Paul Grimley to be given the job. The players by all accounts want Grimley. Whats the propblem? By the sounds of it forces within the County Board set up have an axe to grind with Grimley over issues in the past & are have made him pay for it by making a fool of him in '07 when McDonnell was appointed & were dragging their heals in this appointment process. They should or could have said "okay we can gaurantee in writing your appointment"

In my opinion Grimley is 100% correct to walk away. Whats the point in interviewing Candidate A,B,C if you know beforehand that Candidate D is wanted by players etc? Its a farce. You get the best man for the job & by all accounts that would have been Paul Grimley. Why wait about again to see if you can be mucked about?

God love whoever takes it now because they are on a hiding to nothing unless they can win back to back Ulster Titles & go well in the All Ireland.
There are too many boys that sit on County Boards etc with their own agendas (my own County included) & until these positions are filled with men actually in it for the better of their County then this scenario will come up again & again
"Some people want it to happen, some wish it would happen, others make it happen"

Michael Jordan

INDIANA

Thats not the way the world works. The Galway county board still interviewed O Flaharta on Monday night even though kernan more or less had the job. They had announced a process and they stuck to it. In my opinion the Armagh county board have done the same. And if you want the job, submit yourself for interview or don't bother. Thats the way world works in all walks of life. Check out the next time your company are interviewing future staff for a vacancy. Just because Joe Bloggs on the interview panel knows one of the canditates doesn't mean the company will put the short list in the bin and not interview the rest.

Players are now getting involved in things that shouldn't concern them it seems in all counties. They may have a case if the issue involves setups and things but not to pick a manager. thats going too bloody far.

charlie stubbs

Quote from: INDIANA on September 11, 2009, 03:40:30 PM
Thats not the way the world works. The Galway county board still interviewed O Flaharta on Monday night even though kernan more or less had the job. They had announced a process and they stuck to it. In my opinion the Armagh county board have done the same. And if you want the job, submit yourself for interview or don't bother. Thats the way world works in all walks of life. Check out the next time your company are interviewing future staff for a vacancy. Just because Joe Bloggs on the interview panel knows one of the canditates doesn't mean the company will put the short list in the bin and not interview the rest.

Players are now getting involved in things that shouldn't concern them it seems in all counties. They may have a case if the issue involves setups and things but not to pick a manager. thats going too bloody far.
true indiana in my work interviews have taken place where you know righly who is going to get the job but all applicants have to follow the process of submitting the application form, doing the assessment and interview before the decision is made(even though everyone knows who is getting the job)

tyroneman

Why should a county board tear up agreed proceedure and allow themselves to be dictated to by 1 individual? There was every chance grimley could have got his letter then declined leaving the cb high  and dry. If big joe and micko had put their names forward would people still be as quick to ditch proper process

ardmhachaabu

county board made an agreement with grimley re the manager's job and agreed to put same in writing.
County board reneged on putting the agreement in writing. Grimley smelled a rat- again - and walked.

which part of your process does that fit into Indiana?
I posted what happened last night when I saw Indiana spouting nonsense.

He did the same with the Cork issues and didn't have a clue then either
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

pintsofguinness

and just when you think it couldnt get any more embarrassing!

What armagh players? There is no armagh panel and even if there was they should shut their mouths, issue a letter privately to the county board if they must but no, lets take it all public.   ::)

What a joke.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

ardmhachaabu

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

INDIANA

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on September 11, 2009, 06:20:41 PM

county board made an agreement with grimley re the manager's job and agreed to put same in writing.
County board reneged on putting the agreement in writing. Grimley smelled a rat- again - and walked.

which part of your process does that fit into Indiana?
I posted what happened last night when I saw Indiana spouting nonsense.

He did the same with the Cork issues and didn't have a clue then either

;D ;D ;D. Best laugh I've had in a while. Its not my fault Joe didn't tell you he was off to pastures new.

ardmhachaabu

stew

Houlie is the main frnot runner at the minute, the panel respect him and Oisin and I expect this whole debacle will be put behind us within the week.

Houlie will do a good job for us, with these two we will be a very attack minded side and that will be a refreshing change from the negative dirge we have had to endure over the last few years.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Logan

Quote from: guevara on September 11, 2009, 02:14:55 PM
A lot of ex players have used the Media to state their desire for Paul Grimley to be given the job. The players by all accounts want Grimley. Whats the propblem? By the sounds of it forces within the County Board set up have an axe to grind with Grimley over issues in the past & are have made him pay for it by making a fool of him in '07 when McDonnell was appointed & were dragging their heals in this appointment process. They should or could have said "okay we can gaurantee in writing your appointment"

In my opinion Grimley is 100% correct to walk away. Whats the point in interviewing Candidate A,B,C if you know beforehand that Candidate D is wanted by players etc? Its a farce. You get the best man for the job & by all accounts that would have been Paul Grimley. Why wait about again to see if you can be mucked about?

God love whoever takes it now because they are on a hiding to nothing unless they can win back to back Ulster Titles & go well in the All Ireland.
There are too many boys that sit on County Boards etc with their own agendas (my own County included) & until these positions are filled with men actually in it for the better of their County then this scenario will come up again & again

I think you're off target slightly on a number of counts

I don't think County Board don't have an axe to grind with Grimley - he does with them.
The CB must be seen to treat everyone equal
I don't think whoever takes it on is under anymore pressure than anyone - in fact Grimley would have been under most pressure
He'll be under a lot himself with Monaghan to prove his 'value'

Agree with the last line though

Logan

Quote from: INDIANA on September 11, 2009, 03:40:30 PM
Thats not the way the world works. The Galway county board still interviewed O Flaharta on Monday night even though kernan more or less had the job. They had announced a process and they stuck to it. In my opinion the Armagh county board have done the same.

Agree with that much at least