Kerry v Cork All Ireland Final 2009

Started by magickingdom, August 30, 2009, 04:57:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: ONeill on September 15, 2009, 09:47:09 PM
Will Donaghy play a part and will Walsh start?

Depends which Walsh your talking about O'Neill! Donnchadh is expected to start again with Tommy on the bench. Wouldn't surprise me if Jack O'Connor did something similar to what Mickey Harte used to do with Canavan in his last few years with Darragh Ó Sé on Sunday. He could replace him with Donaghy at HT or before it and then bring him back on again for the last ten minutes with Star moving into the edge of the square.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Kerry Mike

Kerry team will be named on Thursday night as per tradition, no surprises on the Cork team, they line up very much as as expected but will they start in those positions ?

Strong look to that team but am really looking forward to seeing us match up to them.

I'd say there will be no change to our line up, with the only possible jersey up for grabs being the No 12. I'd expect Donnacha Walsh to start though as he has a much higher work rate than Tommy Walsh. Kennelly will be centre forward 30 years after his father captained us to a victory. Tommy Walsh will see game time and Donaghy may be sprung from the bench too but his lack of match fitness may come against him, expect to see Mike Quirke also to be on in the 2nd half when we may need a few big me n around the middle
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Croí na hÉireann

After much see-sawing I'm tipping Kerry to win this by a point or two for a couple of reasons.

There's a lot of similarities between Tyrone last year and Kerry this year. Both stumbled their way to the quarter finals where they then proceeded to blitz the Dubs. Both of them just did enough to get over a Leinster team who over achieved in reaching a semi final and both went in as slight underdogs into the final.

The return of Mike McCarthy has steadied the center of defence, wheras they were getting torn apart prior to his arrival. He was my MOTM against the Dubs.

IMO Jack O'Shea played Kennelly at center forward in the semi final to give him some game time there as he sees him as vital to shutting down Canty, should be a fantastic battle between the two.

I believe there's another massive performance like the Dublin game in this Kerry team and that they'll produce this on Sunday, it'll be met head on this time though.

Although it's not a major factor there's still the whole Cork capsizing in Croke Park against Kerry and this will still bear on some of the Langers.

Although they've been superb this year I feel this final has come a year to early for Kerrigan, O'Neill and maybe Kelly.

So there you go, lump on  :P
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

ONeill

The similarities with Tyrone '08 are remarkable. An early replay defeat in the provincials, stumbling past inferior opposition, hammering the Dubs and a relative stroll in the semis. You'd nearly think O'Connor decided to mimic Tyrone's route of last year. Expect a stubbled O'Connor and a beard on Tomas, Dara and Cooper.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

thejuice

Yeah, I sort of get the feeling Kerry will this now, you can sense they have played within themselves. But there wont be much between them I suspect.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

LandErIn

is Kieran Donaghy in the running for a start on Sunday?

tyssam5

Quote from: ONeill on September 15, 2009, 11:06:42 PM
The similarities with Tyrone '08 are remarkable. An early replay defeat in the provincials, stumbling past inferior opposition, hammering the Dubs and a relative stroll in the semis. You'd nearly think O'Connor decided to mimic Tyrone's route of last year. Expect a stubbled O'Connor and a beard on Tomas, Dara and Cooper.

The difference being that Kerry are up against a good team in the final, whereas Tyrone got a handy one last year.

comethekingdom

Quote from: tyssam5 on September 16, 2009, 06:32:09 PM
Quote from: ONeill on September 15, 2009, 11:06:42 PM

The difference being that Kerry are up against a good team in the final, whereas Tyrone got a handy one last year.

::) Ha Ha ! don't cod yourself son! everyone knows that last years final was won and lost on the sideline.

longrunsthefox

I saw Ciaran Donaghy's dad today on a horse and trap yoke near Omagh wearing a Kerry top. No kiddin.. the bould Oliver looking very happy and optimistic... tho he looked the same this time last year as well  ;)

No way ref

is john hayes still on the cork panel ?

Kerry Mike

yes Hayes will be a sub on Sunday and a handy man to have too for the Langers.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

naomhcolm

this weekend will be tough for us, but i can not imagine this cork team losing to kerry again...there is so much hunger in that cork camp that people from outside cork just cant understand, and for the 1st time in years cork have the consistency and confidence to finish it out to the end!!

orangeman

It's Kerry for me.

Cork might be full of hunger alright but it will take more than hunger to win this game.

Cork are favourites - Kerry have nothing to lose and Kerry seem to hold the indian sign over Cork on the big days in Croke Park.

Some would argue that this is bound to change but I think Kerry have enough to beat Cork.

RogerMilla

its cork for me , you can only go on form and they have been head and shoulders over kerry this year, i think they have it in them to win it this time

Zulu

I'm getting more bullish by the day, and I have no doubt Cork WILL win the AI final. I have tried to look at this from every angle and I just can't see how Kerry can win. I do think Kerry will shade midfield and I expect their full forward line to improve upon their Munster semi final efforts but I think they'll have serious problems containing Cork as an attacking threat. I also think Cork have way more options on the bench, I know Donaghy and Walsh (if the rumours are true) can come in for Kerry but Donaghy isn't match fit and I doubt he'll make much of a difference. Walsh could cause problems alright but he can be a bit hit and miss and Shields or Cadogan would be well able for him physically. Can Donnacha Walsh track Miskella, I'd doubt it and because he isn't a real scoring threat Miskella will be free to get forward as much as he likes. Galvin and O'Leary will be worth the admission price alone but I expect O'Leary to break even here and there is a good chance neither man will finish the game. This is a very important duel for Kerry however because if Galvin gets the better of O'Leary they don't really have anyone who can come in, everywhere else Cork have replacements for malfunctioning areas but not here.

The Gooch and Lynch is another box office match up and I think the Gooch will get the better of Lynchy, if he doesn't then Kerry could take a bit of a hiding as I expect Darren O'Sullivan, Walsh, Kennelly and Declan O'Sullivan to all come off second best.