Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

theskull1

I'd be on for a two up two down system as long it took a year before that new system be used. i.e if voted through at the end of this year, it wouldn't come into effect until the the finish of the 2013 leagues. That gives clubs enough warning of whats coming down the pipe and lets them get ready for it and would stop alot of whinging.  I think there was some sort of motion at convention last year which voted through?

I think NAG has a fair point in relation to alot of Belfast clubs not being serious enough about their hurling when they get to senior. St Johns however look as if they're sorting that out this year. Rossa are still a work in progress. Play an ards club in the league and you'll get a great contest almost every time you play them. Play city clubs in the league (and this is going back years) and more often than not you get alot of games where the opposition go through the motions.  No one wants to see those type of games.  Actually the same could be said about Ballycastle over the past few years...too many who could take it or leave it

Twould be a great day for Antrim hurling if you had a SW and a few city clubs competing in the Div1 leagues (without the standard dropping of course) so anything which might encourage more clubs to up their standards HAS to be encouraged.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

NAG1

Quote from: Last Man on June 14, 2011, 03:17:48 PM
Quote from: NAG1 on June 14, 2011, 01:22:48 PM
;) Last Man

Couldnt be further from the truth, I would like to see Belfast (especially) on its feet hurling wise but I dont see them having the work ethic to get there and be competitive when they are there.

My point is that it takes alot of hard work and committment from the clubs and the players and if you look at the clubs in Div 2, you could argue that this is the element that has been sorely lacking over the past number of years.

Its not short sighted, but IMO a div 1 place should be the pinacle and should be treated as such. If these clubs put the required hard graft in to get there then they are less likely to piss it away because of someones stag party was the same weekend as a match etc.
"Belfast".Not sure how that relates to me but anyway, scratch the surface Nag and are we seeing shades of elitism by any chance. Division 2 clubs are slackers or are they just kept in their place by the prevailling status quo???? 2 up 2 down would drive a coach and horses through the "glass ceiling" IMO. So what next build a wall from Toome to Larne to protect the monks from the marauding Stags? ;D

Wasnt directly relating it to yourself Last Man was just making the point as there is a derth of Belfast Clubs in Div 2.Thats all, am just being realistic not eliteist.

Tell me how putting two team that arent up to the standard of Div 1 up helps them or the other teams in that league?

Believe me I want the standard to go up but I do not see this as the main reason why the standard is mediorce at present. My point is the lack of effort on behalf of some of the clubs is the reason that the standard is poor.

Milltown Row2

NAG1 saying a lack of effort is a bit mean to the massive effort being put into by mentors within these football dominated clubs. These guys are working harder at hurling than some of our 'bigger clubs' if they didn't it would die in Belfast! Easier to build on tradition than being able to get tradition.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Last Man

But where are they going to get the exposure so they know how far off the mark they are, what player relishes the relief of relegation to a poorer standard? Nothing wrong with having a few handier games in the league when the other teams are busting themselves to avoid the drop.
IMO the stronger teams have a certain responsibility to help the aspiring teams inprove.
If we had this, after a few years we really would see which clubs have ambition and those living on past glories might get a rude awakening. This is what the most successful lobbyists at county convention fear most.

Applesisapples

Quote from: BlackandAmber on June 13, 2011, 08:40:25 AM
Is the future Orange?

Armagh 0-14 Down 1-10

What happened here?
No... A good win for Armagh but Down hardly wanted to face Antrim for a pasting after recent results. Antrim will hammer Armagh unfortunately as we are still a football dominated county. non the less good experience. There are lots of structural and strategic problems within Armagh Club Hurling which the County teams performances paper over.

Buswhacker

The truth is that a lot of clubs don't have the player base to maintain senior hurling at top level.They don't have the youngsters coming through,especially when they are competing with football. Maybe they should be looking at amalgamation from minor level up.

NAG1

Thats where I am talking about the hard work going in, into the juvenille section over a sustained period of time, not saying this is easy but this is the only way to achieve the tradition.

I know there are some of the clubs working hard against a tide from within their own clubs and I think they should recieve more support in such a massive urban area. But this continual tinkering with the league structure IMO is like a sticking plaster over a gaping wound.

Time for everyone to take responsibility for their part in the regeneration of these clubs.

DearyMe

Quote from: NAG1 on June 14, 2011, 03:07:32 PM
DearyMe

I can clearly judge hurling clubs that I know and know what they are doing and not doing. Hence my point was they are in Div 2 for a reason and we shouldnt be clamouring to get anyone back to Div 1 until they earn that right.

If they arent prepared to put the work in continually then they deserve to be where they are, if its recreational hurling they want then there are leagues for that too.

Point being Div 1 should be the pinacle and should be treated as such.

So you know what clubs are and arent doing? Very good, i clearly have underestimated the posters on this site.
Tell me NAG - in relation to Sarsfields getting to an Under 21 Final, (did Glenariffe compete in this competition?) Would you think that there is 'enough work' being done there to satisfy your criteria for div 1? And if so surely there were only a few points between those they beat, and what they were eventually beaten by. so surely other clubs are working hard aswell!

So i would say in relation to whats coming through - doesnt seem to be a lot seperating these teams (and before anyone jumps in - i know how difficult it is to sustain this through to senior level).

And by the way NAG - teams dont just 'amble' into div 1, they work hard to get there, they are fully aware of its status and the work involved to stay there - if they go down again straight away they will have progressed, and tasted 'your' forbidden fruit enough to want another taste!

Beginning to agree with Last Man here - get the wall up quick!
Do not wait to strike until the iron is hot, but make it hot by striking!

Last Man

Aye Nag, best not to rely on hear say, I do accept your point but in reality its not that black and white. All the current Div 1 clubs do not have a perfect record in working to produce juvenile talent for various reasons but in some cases just taking their eye off the ball at stages, it remains to be seen the effect of these gaps at senior. I know last years u16 Antrim squad was backboned by Belfast players so there must be more work going on than you think.

NAG1

Lads, I agree with you on some of the points, am not saying its black and white. But the point is that some of these clubs are big big clubs who neglected their own development and are noW paying the price.

Obviously sarsfields played in the u21 final my point is that if they continue to stay together and develop as a team and as a club then if they get to Div 1 then of course they will deserve I would just hope that they wouldnt just rely on this bunch of talented players and try to keep adding 3-4 players to their senior squad every year from their juvenille section.

My second point on that, you have raised for me, I would say that in 5-6 years time those Loughgiel players which sarsfields IMO played off the park if the current trend stays the same will be competing in county finals, I will be suprised if Sarsfields are.

Minder

According to the Hogan Stand Shane McNaughton is away to America for the summer. Is he injured and is going to work or going to hurl?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

the colonel

Shane's away on a 2 month sanction like Graffin did last year. He'll be back in August.
the difference between success and failure is energy

NAG1

Any verdicts or predictions for tomorrow night.

I honestly think we will struggle to put them away, especially if the weather keeps up the way it is.

Any word on what the story is with the league fixtures for sunday or is it totally result dependant on saturday?

DearyMe

I would let them go ahead regardless!

What damage would it do.

Would be ragin to find out sunday mornin! - If i were involved would want to know straight after game.

Everyone bigging Antrim up - dont think it will be as easy as Racing Post are making out!
Do not wait to strike until the iron is hot, but make it hot by striking!

NAG1

I dont think it will be a matter or finding out sunday morning, will be a case of depending on getting the right result Dinny walks in after the game and says ''no one is playing any league hurling tomorrow. We have a game next week and we are preparing for it.'' Which you cant blame him for at the end of the day, but there should be a bit better planning for this.