Minder

Any word of the U-21 game tonight?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Minder

Derry 0-16 Antrim 1-11 Result

What happened the "golden generation" ?

slow corner back

No surprise element this year, very poor result for Antrim although fair play to Derry two years runing is no fluke.

Minder

Perhaps some of these lads were not the world beaters at minor that we were led to believe.

Minder

What is the format? If Derry beat Down they are the champions?

Minder

Second-half fade out see Antrim fall to defeat - Derry 0-16 Antrim 1-11
23 July 2008
Antrim Under 21 hurlers saw another Ulster title go by the wayside when a second-half capitulation saw them lose to Derry at Celtic Park on Wednesday evening.
During the first half the young Saffrons had played some good hurling and with team captain Eddie McCloskey sending over some very good points and Colm Duffin grabbing a goal they led at the break by 1-9 to 0-7.
However in the second-half they failed to produce the goods and managed to add just two more points, and when a well drilled and determined Derry team upped the pace the Antrim challenge faded.
Antrim still managed to maintain their lead until the dying minutes and had a series of chances to add to it but a series of unbelievable misses saw them fall to defeat to the Oak Leafers for the second year in succession.

milltown row

just shows you what Derry hurlers can do if they were to put some effort into hurling. big ball game rules, so Antrim have nothing to fear.

if Derry got their act together they would compete with Antrim every year.

theskull1

Quote from: milltown row on July 24, 2008, 09:17:07 AM
if Derry got their act together they would compete with Antrim every year.

And we all would benefit from it if they did. Well done to McGilligan for driving them on this year. A wake up call for Antrim, but then we're pretty good at getting back over to sleep again  :-\
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Minder

Maybe Derry U-21's need to enter Leinster to get more competition...........

Maximus Marillius

Quote from: hardstation on July 23, 2008, 10:45:59 PM
Jesus. That's bad, again.

why is it bad...thats twice we have dumped you in sucession at u21 level when we were lead to believe that this u21 bunch from Antrim were outstanding. It proves that the work is being done in Derry and that some of the silly stories being promoted about the county board not promoting the game is away from the real truth. Currently our minors have a good environment to develop, otherwise they would not have won the past two years. Lets not forget these derry teams were being beaten at minor level by Antrim, so our internal structures are helping to develop these lads

imtommygunn

It proves one of three things Max:

1. The work is being done in Derry.
2. The work's not being done in Antrim.
3. Both of the above.

Sadly I know which one I believe.

You boys can compete at hurling at all levels with Antrim if you put the work in - however as McGilligan says I don't think this is the case.

Don't forget that in these squad of Derry players a number played in Mageean winning Maghera teams - these teams cleaned up so the ability was always there.

theskull1

If Brian say's that the Derry county board is not promoting the game then I'd be more inclined to go with his opinion than your's Max...no offense. I think he has used this as a motivational tool (along with may others I'm sure) to drive a committed and talented bunch of hurlers to achieve through adversity. Great credit must be given to the "hurling men" in Derry like of which McGilligan is a prime example.

Tommy...I want to know what you believe?

Is it that the work is not being done in Antrim? If it is you'd need to elaborate as that is too vague. What work specifically
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

NAG

The work has been carried out for years with this specific group of players, by a dedicated bunch of coaches through our development structures.

Need I give anyone here a lesson what happened to these men when these lads reached minor level they were told thanks but no thanks we have two boys lined up to take these guys to the next level.

The two boys then run them all over the country and actually IMO get them beat in Mullingar by a good Galway side by implementing a well known tactical ploy with blew up on them big style.

These lads were then brought directly passed go (i.e. any level of senior club hulring) to play on the county squad with the two boys, gradually running down the quality and competitiveness of our senior county team.

Now that they have played on the big stage they are now too good to get beat by derry at U21 after all they beat laois at the weekend.

This is a total indictment of the way the development structures are handled in Antrim. Instead of nuturing and developing the undoubted talent there is, what do our boys do? Fire them into senior county hurling when they are no more ready for senior club hurling. Inflate some ego's and embarass us in our own province for the past two years.

Total respect to Derry hurlers when I say this, but they should not be able to hold a candle to us at the moment, this is not arrogance but it is reality when you look at the talent pool. IMO had this squad of boys been allowed to progress into senior club hurling and learn their trade there these two defeats would not have happened.

somebody stop me please.....

imtommygunn

Rather than bigger picture what is / what isn't being done I think that this county in general pays great disservice to the U21 age group. At hurling and football this year I believe that we have had two sets of players as good as we have had for years. I'm not convinced that there's been much emphasis put into training/preparing these teams in either code.

If these guys are as good as we are led to believe then the perfect platform for them to prove this and the level to aspire to would have been against the stronger southern teams. Two years in a row now they have been denied this - either a because they're not good enough or  b they're not being prepared properly. I've seen these guys at minor level and they have handed out some shocking tankings to teams like Derry - so the question has to be what has happened in those 3 years in between or have Derry improved that much.

Having been involved in the senior hurling set-up may have impacted confidence - not sure.

If these guys are to be the future then the perfect platform for them to be "nurtured" is the u21 platform. Either football or hurling. I think they've been denied this.

Minder

Tommy...........I havent heard any comments this year from S & W but they were a bit disengenuous last year when they said we only trained once or twice, i know that wasnt the case and they have trained a fair few times this year too. Many Antrim U-21 teams have had far worse preparation than this one and have achieved more. It is becoming more apparent that the players are not as good as we were told, which is fair enough as most supporters that attend games know the stnadard of player in Antrim. If there wasnt as much b*llshit being fed to us from the Antrim Board/management there wouldnt be such ill will from certain sections. People are not stupid.