Liam Sammon Steps Down/Joe Kernan to take over?

Started by Duine Eile, August 13, 2009, 01:26:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thebackbar

Quote from: Zulu on August 14, 2009, 01:04:58 AM
What's with the Kevin Walsh love-in, what exactly has he achieved that makes him a good candidate for the Galway job? Last year Jason Ryan was being lauded as the best young manager in Ireland and Liam Sammon was hailed for the way he had Galway playing, 12 months on neither is flavour of the month. Walsh got Sligo out of division 4 but that should have been a given and his team were beaten in both of their championship games against division 1 teams so while Sligo did ok under his stewardship he hasn't proven anything yet and it would be a risk and ultimately a mistake to try and give him the Galway job now.

Well said, As far as I'm aware Kevin has only managed two teams (Aran Islands, a Junior A outfit) and Sligo. Basically two years of management experience. Last Autumn he wasn't rated enough to be given the Galway minor job and now after a reasonable run with Sligo he is being touted as a Galway Senior manager. It would be a huge mistake to have a cursory look at how sligo performed this year and credit all the success to one man. What role did his selectors play ? We need someone who has experience of managing teams or failing that some ex player who has a strong interest in the preparation of teams.

Also we need to start bringing ex players into county management roles at underage, so as they can be groomed for bigger jobs in the future.

Barney

Ray Silke appears to have the answer to everything.

Otherwise what about a Galway double act:

INDIANA

Quote from: Zulu on August 14, 2009, 01:04:58 AM
What's with the Kevin Walsh love-in, what exactly has he achieved that makes him a good candidate for the Galway job? Last year Jason Ryan was being lauded as the best young manager in Ireland and Liam Sammon was hailed for the way he had Galway playing, 12 months on neither is flavour of the month. Walsh got Sligo out of division 4 but that should have been a given and his team were beaten in both of their championship games against division 1 teams so while Sligo did ok under his stewardship he hasn't proven anything yet and it would be a risk and ultimately a mistake to try and give him the Galway job now.

BUt realisticlaly coming from div 4- what were Sligo's expectations this year? You can't win anything from div 4. So promotion and some very good showings in the championship was a good season. You can only work with the players you've got. Sligo are probably a decent div 2 outfit but look a little bit short in some areas for me to really challenge the top teams. They aren't winning at underage either. And until they do they aren't going to challenge and ultimately beat the top teams.
So on that basis he could a good job. If he had the right guy in beside him he could be a canditate.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Barney on August 14, 2009, 10:37:58 AM
Ray Silke appears to have the answer to everything.

Otherwise what about a Galway double act:

:D :D :D They'd be 'Labouring' then Barney!!
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Zulu

Indiana you can't judge any manager on one year, maybe sligo's performances against Kerry and Galway had more to do with them under performing than Sligo performing well. I'm not saying Kevin isn't a good manager because I don't know and neither does anyone else. How can any of us know based on one year, so IMO it would be a big mistake to give a job as big as the Galway one to a man who has hardly any club coaching experience let alone IC.

INDIANA

Quote from: Zulu on August 14, 2009, 11:12:38 AM
Indiana you can't judge any manager on one year, maybe sligo's performances against Kerry and Galway had more to do with them under performing than Sligo performing well. I'm not saying Kevin isn't a good manager because I don't know and neither does anyone else. How can any of us know based on one year, so IMO it would be a big mistake to give a job as big as the Galway one to a man who has hardly any club coaching experience let alone IC.

Then by the same token you must think that the DCB made a big mistake in appointing Gilroy?

I don't think Galway have a huge range of options. Maybe the Salthill manager from a few years back perhaps. Not sure they could afford Micko as Breheny seems to be suggesting today. Is Breheny related to Micko or something?

Zulu

No not necessarily, I think Gilroy is a very good 'manager', which requires intelligence, good orgainizational abilities, being able to deal with people and situations in a calm manner etc. all of which he has from the business world. Whelan brings footballing experience and coaching ability so it isn't a bad double team but not every county needs that type of arrangement. Gilroy had managing experience from his professional life and a working relationship with an excellent coach, Walsh has neither. Anyway why make Walsh the manager and then try to find an 'experienced' man to work with him, surely you should give the job to the experienced candidate and let Walsh come in and learn the ropes as selector? If i was on the Galway CB I'd let Walsh stay with Sligo for at least another year before even thinking about him, if Sligo continue to improve he may be worth a look, but not before. There must be some decent club managers or former Underage coaches that could be considered. Isn't Frank Doherty a Galway man? At least he has IC experience.

INDIANA

Quote from: Zulu on August 14, 2009, 11:31:10 AM
No not necessarily, I think Gilroy is a very good 'manager', which requires intelligence, good orgainizational abilities, being able to deal with people and situations in a calm manner etc. all of which he has from the business world. Whelan brings footballing experience and coaching ability so it isn't a bad double team but not every county needs that type of arrangement. Gilroy had managing experience from his professional life and a working relationship with an excellent coach, Walsh has neither. Anyway why make Walsh the manager and then try to find an 'experienced' man to work with him, surely you should give the job to the experienced candidate and let Walsh come in and learn the ropes as selector? If i was on the Galway CB I'd let Walsh stay with Sligo for at least another year before even thinking about him, if Sligo continue to improve he may be worth a look, but not before. There must be some decent club managers or former Underage coaches that could be considered. Isn't Frank Doherty a Galway man? At least he has IC experience.

Thats a total contradiction Zulu in fairness. You're not applying the same criteria. Who's to say Walsh doesn't have organisational qualities from his own working life? I mean any decent line manager in a business who plays club football could organise an inter county football team.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Zulu on August 14, 2009, 11:12:38 AM

That pisses me off, I actually think we underperformed against Galway because of 11 week break from League to CSFC, against Kerry, our players had to step up and did.  Thats the way I look at it. But of course the lazy analysis out there and narrow mindness out think the same as you. Whenever a Top team in the country gets ran close it because they underperformed which is bullshit, I already said my piece on the Sligo kerry thread so not going into the nitty gritty here. The reason teams play bad maybe has something to do with the opposition ;).
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

INDIANA

It does mate I agree but the fact that you didn't beat kerry was as much down to being a bit short in some areas as it was to Kerry underperforming. And its those shortcomings that undermine the efforts of Sligo, Wicklow, Tipp etc when it comes to breaking through.

mick999

Micko it is, according to the Indo ...

Friday August 14 2009

MICK O'DWYER could be in line for one great last hurrah with Galway following the resignation of Liam Sammon.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/micko-for-galway-1859948.html

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: INDIANA on August 14, 2009, 11:59:37 AM
It does mate I agree but the fact that you didn't beat kerry was as much down to being a bit short in some areas as it was to Kerry underperforming. And its those shortcomings that undermine the efforts of Sligo, Wicklow, Tipp etc when it comes to breaking through.

We are short in some areas but isnt everyone?, in my reality I knew going into that game we were strong where Kerry were strong in most areas but unfortunetly really the only thing that saved kerry was Galvin excelled where we were weak defensively, like armstrong matched up with ewing in galway game. I know our limitations and where our good players cover our weak ones... but jees to say the above statement is insulting to our FB line and D Kelly and a few others that day. In the last 20mins our Forwards underperformed aswell...anyway ye know my thoughts and were going off topic... :-\
Quote from: mick999 on August 14, 2009, 12:04:08 PM

Micko it is, according to the Indo ...

Friday August 14 2009

MICK O’DWYER could be in line for one great last hurrah with Galway following the resignation of Liam Sammon.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/micko-for-galway-1859948.html

Welcome to Connacht football Micko....
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Duine Eile

I'd be very surprised if micko does take over, unless the board are getting a sub off Pat McDonagh or the likes I just can't see how we'd afford it. It'd be fantastic if he did but I'm a bit sceptical at the minute. I'll believe it when I see it.

Zulu

QuoteThat pisses me off, I actually think we underperformed against Galway because of 11 week break from League to CSFC, against Kerry, our players had to step up and did. 

Take off the Sligo coloured glasses FFS, I said -"maybe sligo's performances against Kerry and Galway had more to do with them under performing than Sligo performing well" - as in it might have been possible and I made this point in relation to a discussion on Kevin Walsh's ability as a manager.

QuoteThats a total contradiction Zulu in fairness. You're not applying the same criteria. Who's to say Walsh doesn't have organisational qualities from his own working life? I mean any decent line manager in a business who plays club football could organise an inter county football team.

I don't think it is a contradiction at all, you have to take every situation on it's own merits and I believe Gilroy is a proven 'manager' and Whelan a proven coach. Therefore they were a reasonable choice, Walsh isn't proven in either field and hasn't anyone with him that we know of who is proven in those fields either. There are a number of lads in Galway who have more IC experience than Walsh and they have at least two managers who have lead Galway teams to AI's in the past 3 or 4 years, they deserve the top job before a man who has two years experience and little success.

INDIANA

But surely Walsh is more qualified than Gilroy at this stage? Take Whelan out of it. You can't seriously be putting business acumen above football knowledge acquired at the coalface of management?