Liam Sammon Steps Down/Joe Kernan to take over?

Started by Duine Eile, August 13, 2009, 01:26:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Wedger

Sammon was out of his depth!

Tatler Jack

ross4life

Quote from: The Wedger on August 13, 2009, 07:29:10 PM
Sammon was !

last year Sammon won Connacht title in Castlebar Vs Mayo

this year John O Mahoney won the Connacht title in Salthill vs Galway

Do you think O Mahoney is out of his depth also ???
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

HowAreYeGettinOn

Bit of a shock, this one. A pity. Sammon had Galway playing good stuff again even though they went down in the CF and against Donegal. But it was only by a point each time.

He's a gent with a lot of class.

seafoid

O'Mahony doesn't have the players in Mayo. Sammon didn't seem to be the right manager for Galway.

Fear ón Srath Bán

I'm not surprised. The defeat to Donegal was a most unGalway-like display, with a level of niggly negative play the like of which I've never witnessed before from a Galway team.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on August 13, 2009, 09:20:10 PM
I'm not surprised. The defeat to Donegal was a most unGalway-like display, with a level of niggly negative play the like of which I've never witnessed before from a Galway team.

You mustn't have watched them under Peter Forde then.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Farrandeelin on August 13, 2009, 09:25:24 PM
You mustn't have watched them under Peter Forde then.

The joys of Connacht football eh?  ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

ildanach

i have a feeling walsh could leave sligo and take the job. only pj and mehan left from his playing days and so would not be an issue of going back too soon after retiring
Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.

Fr Todd Unctious

Quote from: HowAreYeGettinOn on August 13, 2009, 09:06:40 PM
Bit of a shock, this one. A pity. Sammon had Galway playing good stuff again even though they went down in the CF and against Donegal. But it was only by a point each time.

He's a gent with a lot of class.

Hard to agree. Shambles this year. Brutal against Sligo, played for 5 mins against Mayo. And an absolute disaster against Donegal. For a man that was supposed to be an excellent coach, his team selection and tactics were way off. Might have had an OK season in 2008, most first year managers do.

Nice guys don't win!!!

Duine Eile

The usual suspects are being suggested already, Frank Doherty, Pete Warren, Bunty Roche  :-\, Billy Joyce, Val Daly. I think we can definitely say it's not going to be anyone like Micko, probably someone from inside the county I'd imagine. Can't see Kevin Walsh taking over, he's already committed to another year with Sligo.

mouview

C'mon Duine, you want Bunty and you know it! Look at all the big shots and high rollers he'd bring to the gap! Highway doesn't drink so it wouldn't be the same!

rosnarun

you can have o mahoney back if you ask nicely
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

thebackbar

Liam Sammon has put in a huge amount of work into Galway football over the years and should be commended for it, however his time as Galway manager was up.

The only credible name that comes to mind within the County is Eoin Donnellan, he was interested in the job two years ago so hopefully he is still interested.

Duine Eile

Quote from: mouview on August 13, 2009, 11:13:51 PM
C'mon Duine, you want Bunty and you know it! Look at all the big shots and high rollers he'd bring to the gap! Highway doesn't drink so it wouldn't be the same!

Ah would ya stop, I'd rather see John Maughan landing with his supply of St Tropez! Anyway I'd imagine Bunt is far too busy with his new business venture, he's in his element below in the Gap.