Ciaran Whelan Retires.

Started by Bud Wiser, August 06, 2009, 05:10:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

QuotePeculiar that he announce it on a show called "Off the Ball"

:)
except he didn't announce it on the radio.

He has been around so long and so central that you'd think he was 35 or so, but he his still a youthful 31.

HowAreYeGettinOn

If he goes, that's the end of Dublin for a few years. I realise Kerry hit them a hammer blow on Monday anyway, but I'd even doubt Dublin's capacity to win Leinster if they can't call on Whelan at some stage of proceedings.

At his best, a joy to watch.

Bud Wiser

Maybe I made the thread title a bit alarmist in keeping with some of the press who had the pencils and microphones ready before he walked off the field last Monday.  My guess is that he will stay for another year at least if not two - there are very few teams in the country he would not get his place on.  However, that will depend on who the management team is going to be because there is a whiff of Ciaran's ability being undermined a bit this year. 

" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

tyronefan

He has a lot to offer this Dublin team yet

When he came on (should have started imo) he was a big improvement in the middle and one of the better Dublin players on the day.

Would like to see him sit down with the management team and see if there is a way to use him for a least another year, the dubs would be a better team with him there.

royalcountystar

good riddens....overarted all his carear,and filthy player..waste of a cup of tea.

DennistheMenace

Bit premature if you ask me but ultimately his decision.

muppet

Quote from: royalcountystar on August 08, 2009, 03:32:45 PM
good riddens....overarted all his carear,and filthy player..waste of a cup of tea.

Did you give him a cup?
MWWSI 2017

INDIANA

Probably the most dylexic spelling I've seen yet. ;D

Main Street

Could be Holiness junior, fed up with Da muttering  "say it aint so" in his sleep.

Eastern_Pride

Quote from: INDIANA on August 08, 2009, 04:23:11 PM

Dyslexic is it not :D ........
Do you think Usain Bolt could replace Thomas Walsh?

muppet

Quote from: INDIANA on August 08, 2009, 04:23:11 PM

DYLEXIC?

I think it means you own 2 Lexus cars.
MWWSI 2017

Eastern_Pride

[/quote]

DYLEXIC?

[/quote] well if you have 2 lexuses(Lexi....) I suppose you can spell however you want.....
Do you think Usain Bolt could replace Thomas Walsh?

Rav67

Quote from: Eastern_Pride on August 08, 2009, 05:23:01 PM

DYLEXIC?

[/quote] well if you have 2 lexuses(Lexi....) I suppose you can spell however you want.....
[/quote]

Alan Partridge fan by any chance?

Fear ón Srath Bán

Now official, from the Irish Times:

Whelan hangs up Dubs jersey

Dublin midfield stalwart Ciaran Whelan called time on his intercounty career today, after another disappointing dismissal from the All-Ireland championship, this time at the hands of finalists Kerry. The Raheny man has been a talismanic presence in the Dublin team for 13 years, having made his debut in the 1996 Leinster final against Meath.

At the age of 33, however, he admitted the strains of top level football, sustained during a career that saw him win six Leinster titles with the Dubs and two All-Stars, had taken their toll.

"Deep down in my own mind I knew this would be the last year," said the Raheny clubman. "I discussed it with family at home and the way the year turned out, playing a limited amount of time and given the amount of commitment and effort that goes into it.

"It's really a time factor," added the man who captained the Dubs under Tommy Lyons in 2003 and 2004.

Even though Whelan had fallen down the pecking order, behind Ross McConnell and Darren Magee in Pat Gilroy's team selections, it was little respite in terms of fitness.

"My body isn't recovering as quick as I'd like," he added in the Evening Herald . "Every year the commitments are getting bigger. I reached the stage in my own head where I was quite clear that it was time to move on.

"But I've enjoyed every minute of it ... it's been a childhood dream come true. I wouldn't change any bit of it."

Whelan will continue to play for Raheny for at least another season.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...