AISF Aug 23rd Tyrone v Cork

Started by cadhlancian, August 02, 2009, 07:11:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fuzzman

Harte is well capable of the same aul craic. Look at last years AI final.

Is there a rule or do you get a fine if you change the team before throw in?

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on August 19, 2009, 01:55:18 PM
Quote from: Fuzzman on August 19, 2009, 01:46:42 PM
What exactly does he mean by that?
Playing on the edge .....

I think he means that our lads don't get habitual yellow and red cards like himself. He must hold some manner of record for consecutive yellows?

O'Leary has had a particularly tragic life but he has shown great resolve not to let it break him. He lets his enthusiasm get the better of him on occasion but he wears his heart on his sleeve and football needs characters like him.

Fished out an excellent article with him from the Tribune a few years ago:

FOR a moment Noel O'Leary was sure he'd got away with it. It was down in Tralee on a shitty wet Saturday night, Kerry had just beaten them, and towards the end he'd snapped. The Kerry boys had been winding him up all night and then Tomas O Se kicked the ball at him and O'Leary had gone and eyeballed him, lashed out, and picked up his second yellow card for his troubles. As he was walking into the dressing room tunnel, Billy Morgan tapped him on the back and halfgrinned, "Well done, Noel!" At that, inwardly, O'Leary smiled too. Someone understood. If anyone could, it was Billy. The sight of that green and gold jersey, the passion, the fury; sure he knew all about it himself.

And then? Well then when they were inside, Morgan closed the door and proceeded to give his wing back, as O'Leary so eloquently puts it, "an unmerciful fecking". In front of everyone. He shakes his head and grimaces bashfully at the memory, thought and accusation. Too fiery and volatile . . .

even by Morgan standards. "But he was dead right too, " says O'Leary. "I was a bit mad that night. A rush of blood to the head."

Admit it. It's how you know him, perceive him. There mightn't be a better attacking wing-back left in this year's championship or anyone on the Cork team more adept at playing that ball into Michael Cussen, but to you, he's that serial yellow-carder who keeps getting into scrapes. He'll probably take up Geraghty today and, well, it's hard to see both of them lasting the distance. But, as Dan might say, if you don't know him, don't judge him.

He's from a place called Cill na Martra, the second smallest parish in the biggest county in Ireland, a few miles outside Macroom, off the road to Ballyvourney, but as a kid he developed a passion for west Cork football and west Cork footballers more than 50 miles down the road. There was Castlehaven and Tompkins and Cahalane. And even though they were junior, there was Urhan and Ciaran O'Sullivan too. He remembers going with his father Donal as a 12-year-old to see them play Midleton in a county junior championship replay in 1992 in Ballingeary.

"I'll never forget it. The first day Ciaran was awesome. The second day he was having a brilliant game again when one of the Midleton lads turned round and made shit of his nose. Ciaran was down for three or four minutes, blood pissing out of his nose.

Next thing, he gets up, the ball comes in and Ciaran grabs it underneath his own goalpost, goes straight up the centre of the field and shoes the ball straight on the '45 and splits the posts.

My father turns round to me and says, 'That man will be playing for Cork next year.'" And at that, his son vowed that's how he'd play for Cork too. Like Cahalane, like Ciaran. Blood and bandages, boy.

And that's how he played for them as a minor. With passion. Raw passion at times but passion, and when the Cork senior hurlers were presented with their 2000 Munster medals the same night as O'Leary and his colleagues were presented with their All-Ireland minor football medals, Diarmuid O'Sullivan, a two-time All Star even then, made a point of going over to O'Leary to tell him how much he loved the way he played the game.

A year later they were teammates winning an All-Ireland junior medal together, and a year later, on the senior panel, winning a Munster football championship together. O'Leary had to wait until he was 21 to break onto the starting 15 though. When he did, he did with intent.

"I thought, 'Feck it, a tougher attitude to this setup would be no harm at all. We'll try not to take any prisoners if we can.' I suppose I went a bit bald-headed into it though. Did a lot of stupid things."

Whatever about doing anything stupid, O'Leary managed to do something unique in that 2003 league campaign, picking up a yellow card in each of Cork's seven league games, and just for good measure, picking up two in the last game against Tyrone. But over the years he'd like to think he's tempered down that temper.

He's no longer the wild buck of 2003, though, he'll admit, some sort of red mist does seem to descend upon him when he encounters that green and gold.

And on days like that, he's reminded it's only a game, that there's more to life. And he'll agree. Yeah, it's a game, there's more to life, but what you must understand it's that game which has helped him get through the life he's had.

The first to go was Mark. They were cousins but more like twins; the same age, the same humour who'd "more or less lived with each other; him living up in our place or me down in theirs". Then, in January of '99, Mark and his girlfriend broke up and all of a sudden he was dead. Suicide.

"It was an awful shock at the time. Because nothing like that had ever happened to us before. But that was my first year with the Cork minors and the football was a great thing to have. It gave me something to turn back to."

O'Leary and Cork would win that year's Munster final, inspired by a magical display from another dynamic wing back called Tom Kenny, but a few weeks before the following year's Munster final, tragedy struck again.

This time it was Benny, his best friend.

"Benny, " he smiles, "Benny was a gas man. Strange, he had no interest in football but we had a bit of an old business going there. We bought a quad-bike between us, spraying weeds and spreading manure on farms for farmers. A couple of weeks before we played Kerry, there were about 13 or 14 of us out the back at home. Benny was spinning around on the bike. And feck it, it was a case of the two of us getting too used to that bike; we'd wear no helmets or anything like that, you know. And sure, whatever way he went across this little slope in the field, didn't the bike turn and fall on top of him.

"At the start we were saying to ourselves, 'This man is going to hop up now any second', because he was a bit of a joker, like. But we went over, and Jesus, when we looked at him he had gone blue in the face. Myself and my brother Ciaran tried to clear his mouth but it was no good." By the time the ambulance had hit Macroom, Benny was gone.

Again football offered some measure of solace and that summer Cork went on to claim Munster and then the All Ireland. O'Leary's eyes light up at the memory of it and old teammates. Some of them you've heard of: Masters and McMahon, the latter of whom will play with him in Croke Park today; Conrad Murphy, who was the best of the lot of them; Kieran 'Hero' Murphy from Erins Own. But then there were others who you mightn't have heard of. Paul Deane, Dinny O'Hare; "maybe not the most skilful but hard men and great lads as well." Only in the last year or two with the seniors, has he experienced a team chemistry and bond like the boys of that summer enjoyed. It was the time of their lives and should have been the year of their lives, but before 2000 was out it had been the worst of O'Leary's.

He'll never forget the game that was on the box that day: Glenflesk and Nemo in the Munster club final, and himself and the father watching Moynihan and Johnny Crowley trying to win it nearly on their own. But as the day and game went on, his mother was becoming increasingly anxious. Ciaran, Noel's 17-year-old brother, had yet to come home. There was no word from him or of him. Noel and his younger brother, Donal Og, told her to relax, reminding her that it wouldn't be the first time he'd have stayed over at a friend's. After the game was over though, there was still no word. They'd phoned Ciaran's girlfriend who he'd visited the previous night and she'd said he'd gone home.

"The father was saying then, 'God, maybe he was drunk coming home and fell somewhere. Donal Og, go into the shed and get our wellingtons and we'll go to the fields and look for him.'" Donal Og went into the shed only to find Ciaran already there. Same story as Mark. Seventeen. Just finished with the girlfriend. Gone.

"Definitely what happened to Benny was a big part of it. Ciaran was there when it happened and he used to get upset about it. He'd always be on about it at home. But in saying that, you wouldn't have taken much notice of it. I mean, it was natural enough he was upset about it.

"I think it was a pure spur-of-themoment thing. It and drink. In most of these cases that's what it is; a spur-ofthe-moment decision brought on by the drink. Looking back, Ciaran wouldn't have been the best to take drink. He was only 17, a bit of a wild lad but a good lad, but you could see that he used to get upset after drink."

That's why he'd tell anyone: know the people who don't react well to it.

Be there to tell them the one that's one too many, especially when that one might be the first. Be there to say hang on, everybody hurts, but it passes. It's maybe not the normal message or cause advocated by a GAA player, but O'Leary feels strongly about this.

So do his younger brothers, who hardly drink at all.

"A lot of people mightn't like talking about this, shy away from talking about it, but it's happening every day in other homes. People might learn from it. I have no problem talking whatsoever about it. Or Benny or Mark. It was an unbelievable run for us at the time, but it happened. It's a big part of who I am."

There's little O'Leary isn't upfront about. At times he might sound all bashful like Paidi O Se just like he plays like a young Paidi O Se but the 'Yerrah' response is not for him. There is a refreshing honesty as well as affability about him. In the tree surgery business he set up a few years ago, beating around the bush is kept to a minimum. It's the same in conversation. He cuts through the bullshit.

There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Zulu

I'm not sure but I'd doubt either team will play as selected, if I were Counihan I think I'd throw Tyrone a curve ball as I'm sure they'll look to stifle Cork's main players. Cussen in on the edge of the square and O'Connor out to the wing, Kerrigan in center forward and O'Neill out to midfield is something I'd consider seriously (Murphy would get the chop).

marym

Cork's defence to blunt Tyrone in classic

Wednesday August 19 2009

SUNDAY will see the biggest game of the year in the football championship.

It may not record the biggest attendance as Cork are notorious bad travellers at the penultimate stage but Tyrone will arrive down in big numbers to witness the latest challenge to their dominance.

The strength, athleticism, mobility and ability that each team possess will ensure one of the great contests. By now we know this Cork team are for real and they will perform in HQ. Getting stage fright is no longer an option for this seasoned squad and so they will bring their 'A-game'. Will it be enough?

That we ask that question speaks volumes for Tyrone. But, as Mickey Harte is fond of saying, Tyrone were champions in 2008 and this season is waiting to crown the new ones, so it's a new ball game where having the cup at home is really little consolation or advantage.

Tyrone are the standard and if they have yet to fire at full capacity this year, the fear in Cork hearts is they might choose this weekend to do so. They have form in this regard, timing their run to perfection in the past and thus must be respected.

But I still believe Tyrone will end up shy of ultimate honours. Of course they fully realise Kerry (after getting past Meath) will be waiting in the final and the ultimate rubber to decide the 'Team of the Decade' is enticing; but Cork are the coming team and in my opinion the best side left in the series.

I base that around a half-back line that has dominated all-comers to date - Miskella and Canty have been especially powerful and their support play is unnatural. This Sunday, they will be asked to defend a little more but I expect the whole Cork defence will be well up for it. Anthony Lynch has been passed fit to start and if he recaptures his Munster championship form I feel they will hold the Tyrone forwards to a modest score.

Midfield will be a splendid battle - big mobile men with the tanks to get from box to box. Tyrone might nudge this battle - Cavanagh's incisive play can realise real dividends.

And up front, I believe the Cork full-forward line will make hay as they have the strength, willingness and ability to make inroads against a full-back line that has yet to be fully tested.

When the match is being analysed the names of O'Connor, Goulding and O'Neill will feature regularly and their accuracy and nose for both goals and points will be the difference.

For those involved it will be heart-stopping as the scoreline and match will be close and for the neutrals it promises to be a rip-roaring contest. Make sure you get a ticket or box seat for the television - this will be the game of the year.

- Kevin McStay

ziggysego

Thank goodness Mary. Tyrone hate having the favourites tag. Come on Cork!!
Testing Accessibility

Fear ón Srath Bán

Yep, Mc Stay is irrepressibly impeccable when it comes to predicting how Tyrone will do:

Quote from: KevinMcStay date=3rd June 2009
Heading for Ulster is akin to a course in minefield clearance. Every round of the championship makes you stop and wonder just who will emerge? I am going for Derry to win out this year and feel the big losers could be Armagh if they fail to get momentum by defeating Tyrone in the quarter final game.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Armamike

Kevin is no sage when it comes to this.  A couple of weeks back he thought Dublin had the best full forward line in Ireland. We know what Tyrone are all about.  The big question mark in this game is over Cork - will they finally deliver in Croke Park and put on a performance when the pressure is on and will their forwards be able to take their chances when the pressure is cranked up?
That's just, like your opinion man.

red hander

Whatever happens ... I can't see Packie hoofing many big kickouts into the midfield area, I'd say there'll be plenty of building from the back

popinpoput

Have to say I have that warm feeling that I last experienced before the Dubs game last year.....fully expecting a comfortable victory...6+ points.

pintsofguinness

O'Leary has had a particularly tragic life but he has shown great resolve not to let it break him.

Jeeze he has, very sad.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

stevetharlear

Plane home tonight, few days immersing myself in cockiness back in Cork, maybe I won't feel as jittery as I do now come Sunday. It's always the way though when you haven't won an AI in a while, you keep thinking you're fecked the next time out but sometimes...sometimes the team keeps rolling on. Here's hoping.

Whatever happens on the pitch though, I'm looking forward to the sea of red and white in Croker, no finer colours, and no green and yella to pollute it this week! ;)

Ogie84

Hi all,

first time Cork poster, just gathering the general consensus on the game from up the Country. Can't wait for the match on Sunday, hoping for a cracker, no doubt we'll be up against it as Tyrone are a fantastic side, quality footballers all over the pitch. Great interest in the game down here for the past few weeks, team selection is not surprising and despite what some say that is the team that should/will start on Sunday in my opinion. Main concern for me is midfield, need to get two huge performances out of Murphy and O'Connor if we are to make some head way and get early fast ball into O'Neill, O'Connor and Goulding.

Zulu

I reckon that's the team that will start too Ogie (and welcome aboard by the way) but if I was Counihan I would do something different just to knock Tyrone off balance. Harte will have dissected Cork's game plan and will have come up with something to nullify it, by changing it around Counihan could get the jump on Tyrone. It isn't like he doesn't have the options on the bench or players on the team who haven't disappointed, for example Donnacha O'Connor has been poor enough and Murphy doesn't perform well in physical confrontations so I'd look at both of them. The Cork half back line has been the springboard for many of Cork's attacks and they have thus far run at opposing defences and scored but if Counihan put Cussen in FF and put the ball in long and often Tyrone may be caught out a bit and although McMahon is big and did well last year on Donaghy it doesn't mean he would snuff out Cussen this year. In other words it might be worth a go, if it doesn't work out you can always go back to what you've done up to now and if it does work, even for a while, it might get you the few extra scores needed.

Fuzzman

I am surprised to see so many people questioning Cork's midfield.
I haven't watch a whole match with Cork this year but I thought Murphy was a great ball winner.

I hope we see Cavanagh gettting back into his groove and running through the middle.
I notice he's more willing to lay it off this year that to go himself but he still always seems to get that fisted point when bursting through on goal.

I'd also like to see Mugsy get his annual Croke park goal or two as he looked in form the last day.

I'd hope Tyrone will come flying out of the blocks and knock the stuffing out of Cork in the first 15 mins as I'd be worried if Cork build up a head of steam we could find it harder to pull it back than against Kildare.

I expect McGinley to be the only change for Tommy with Sean going to CHF or into the corner with Penrose to CHF.
Come Sunday though there could be a lot more changes.

Fuzzman

T is certainly no coincidence that the reigning All-Ireland champions in both football and hurling remain firmly on course to retain their titles. Tyrone and Kilkenny share certain characteristics that tend to set them apart -- fierce single-mindedness, an almost masochistic intensity in training and ongoing inner belief that manifests itself in their application and technique.

Kilkenny's dominance has not diluted their hunger nor their commitment in the slightest. And it's well known that Tyrone boss Mickey Harte earnestly covets back-to-back All-Ireland titles which, if obtained next month, would mean that 'Sam' will have found a home in the O'Neill County four times since 2003.

Yet while the Cats now await the chance to renew their rivalry with Tipperary in their All-Ireland final on September 6, Tyrone find themselves preparing to meet a Cork side still nursing the psychological scars incurred in recent championship campaigns which brought only heartbreak.

humiliating

They have tended to play second fiddle to Kerry and suffered a humiliating defeat at the hands of the Kingdom in the All-Ireland final two years ago. Now they must square up to a Tyrone side that have only fleetingly engaged top gear in their championship journey to date.

But it's the very level of hurt which Cork harbour that could ultimately prove their biggest spur against the Red Hands. The Leesiders' pride may have taken a buffeting of late -- it's worth remembering that it's 19 years since they last had the Sam Maguire Cup -- and now their desire to erase the heartache is such that even Tyrone's formidable record in major championship matches at Croke Park is not viewed as a major deterrent to their ambitions.

Like Tipperary, they are utterly focused on cocking a snook at the status quo and believe they have the resources to go all the way.

Whether they have or not will be discovered on Sunday. But, just like Kilkenny boss Brian Cody, Tyrone supremo Harte never leaves anything to chance. It can be safely assumed that he will have dissected every aspect of Cork's play and planned his strategy accordingly.

Indeed, there is a danger that Sunday's semi-final could perhaps become suffocated by tactics. Tyrone have, with every justification, acquired a reputation for coming up with the answers to any ploys, strategic or otherwise, in which their opponents might indulge. They are rarely out-thought and seldom out-manoeuvred, yet Cork's fitness, cohesion, mobility and renewed confidence will ensure that the Ulster champions are fully tested.

If Cork galloped down easy street against Donegal, then Tyrone dug deep against Kildare in a match that lent further credence to the theory that players such as Philip Jordan and PJ Quinn in defence and possibly Tommy McGuigan and Martin Penrose in attack will need to bring rather more to the table if that passport into the All-Ireland final is to be procured.

While Cork were at their lively best against John Joe Doherty's side, they will most certainly not canter through the middle of the Tyrone defence -- not with the imperious Conor Gormley and the burgeoning Justin McMahon erecting a central barrier.

Cork's route to progress may lie on the flanks where the pace and penetration of Paul Kerrigan and Donncha O'Connor could, at the very least, elicit frees from the Ulster champions that the latter could translate into points.

The Munster champions have in Nicholas Murphy and Alan O'Connor the best midfield pairing in the country but that will not deflect Tyrone from their drive to snaffle enough second-phase 'dirty' ball with which to feed their hungry attack in general and Owen Mulligan and Stephen O'Neill in particular.

These are both big-occasion players -- comparable to Kilkenny's Henry Shefflin and Eddie Brennan -- and they are no strangers to the white heat of an All-Ireland semi-final. The more the pressure is on, the more they appear to thrive and don't be too surprised if Mulligan finds the net at some stage on Sunday.

Even if he doesn't and O'Neill has his shooting boots with him, I would expect Tyrone to prove just that little bit too cute for a Cork team that will put their bodies on the line, literally and metaphorically, to get into the All-Ireland final.

- Joe Kernan Irish Indo