Best War Film ever...............

Started by No1, August 02, 2009, 01:53:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

moysider

No1

QuoteShould read the book, there's not much credit given to the brits!

Read a few of Ambrose's books, as far as historians go he isn't bad but given his background you have to take his pro US stance with a rather large dose of salt!

mc_grens

Lawrence Of Arabia
Platoon
Enemy At The Gate
Letters From Iwo Jima
The first 20 min of Private Ryan

"There are no good wars, with the following exceptions: the American Revolution, World War II, and the Star Wars Trilogy." B Simpson

Square Ball

of the older films, Tora, Tora, Tora is one of my favourites

and most John Wayne ones!!
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Orior

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

DownFanatic

The Iceman

Black Hawk Dawn
Platoon
Full Metal Jacket
Saving Private Ryan
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

The Real Laoislad

You'll Never Walk Alone.

The Real Laoislad

Also there is one called Escape from Sobibor which was a made for TV film
You'll Never Walk Alone.

lurganblue

i have to say saving private ryan is my favourite.  The first twenty mins are brilliant but i think the film continues to be thoroughly enjoyable from then on too.

mountainboii

Maybe not the best but I love Kelly's Heroes, a really fun movie.

Most depressing and powerful war movie I've seen is a Japanese animated one called Grave of the Fireflies. Its well worth a download if you want something different from your usual Hollywood Michael Bay-esque explosion fest.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grave_of_the_Fireflies

Canalman

For me

1 Platoon
2 Glory
3 Kellys Heroes
4 Guns of Navarone
5 Paths of Glory.

Honourable mentions to Apocalypse Now, Hannibal Brooks (just a personal  chioce I know) and Stalingrad.

dillinger

We were soliders pretty good

[/quote]

tbrick18

I think Platoon is probably my favorite.

But I also love Bridge over the River Kwai....and A Bridge Too Far....maybe I have a thing for bridges  :-\

Wasnt fussed on Hamburger Hill. Full Metal Jacket was class until they actually went to war.

Kelly's Heroes was really good too...but I've just remembered one of my all time favourites....The Big Red One...I thought it was really good.