Tyrone v Kildare AIQF official thread!

Started by cadhlancian, July 26, 2009, 07:37:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eastern_Pride

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on August 02, 2009, 10:47:23 PM
Quote from: DCR on August 02, 2009, 10:35:38 PM
As a football fan I was disgusted at the large section of Kildare (fans?) who cherred Tyrone's wide freekicks. Fair enough to applaud a wide if your defender has put the forward under pressure. But in my book there is not much sportsmanship in applauding a wide free kick. Not even the Dubs would do it.

I would agree that it is not nice to hear but every county seems to have a proportion of these clowns.

In fairness, I'd say a lot of the cheers would be when "questionable" frees are kicked wide - sense of justice being done. Still doesn't excuse it though. Some GAA supporters could learn a lot from the rugby crowd as far as respect for the place kicker is concerned.
The only rugby crowd who respects any kickers are in thomond park where you hear the grass being ripped from the ground.
Do you think Usain Bolt could replace Thomas Walsh?

tyssam5

I wouldn't get overly excited about some eejits booing the free-kicker. But I would like to think Tyrone will never have as bad an off day from free-kicks again. That was dire today and led to us not getting a comfortable lead at any stage.

Tyrones own

Quote from: hardstation on August 02, 2009, 10:51:02 PM
If Antrim were leading Tyrone by a point in the last minute of the Ulster final and Stevie O'Neill hit a free wide - I'd have cheered. Simply cheering your team getting a bit of luck.

Any chance of coming up with a more realistic one HS  :P
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

Eastern_Pride

Quote from: Tyrones own on August 02, 2009, 10:52:27 PM
Quote from: hardstation on August 02, 2009, 10:51:02 PM
If Antrim were leading Tyrone by a point in the last minute of the Ulster final and Stevie O'Neill hit a free wide - I'd have cheered. Simply cheering your team getting a bit of luck.

Any chance of coming up with a more realistic one HS  :P
tyrone leading longford in the nicky rackard?
Do you think Usain Bolt could replace Thomas Walsh?

sandwiches_in_the_boot

Relief!

First off i'm rather bemused at the comments about Tyrone obstructing frees and cynical tactics. Were you at the same game I was at? Kildare's persistant fouling was far more evident. Can't believe Early wasn't shown a yellow card for taking out Mulligan in the first half when he had him beat in front of the goals. Tyrone do this too but its at least punished with a yellow card.

Mc Geeney's tactics were far more evident in the Kildare players running (very close) in front to distract free takers and fouling players to break down attacks. I won't say Tyrone are entirely innocent, I didn't like Cavanagh knocking the ball out of the Kildare player's hands at the end, but jesus talk about pot calling the kettle black.

As for the boos, they were coming from the canal end (mostly) which was full of children, but I didn't like the cheering and flag waving at Tyrone's wides.

And if you want to start talking about missed chances, what about the 3 scoreable frees Tyrone missed in a row. Tyrone should have won by 5. Gormley was my MOTM, he was all over the forwards and as for "dark tactics" ffs Kildare gave as good as they got. What about Justy being dragged and held down before Ricey got blown for overcarrying. Not to sure about SON for MOTM, he had a poor first half, but you can't really argue with 7 points.

...And finally, no harm, lets hope that's Tommy McGuigan's starting place gone, too many bad performances, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who is full of dread everytime he steps up to take a free. Brian' has a great head, and never wastes possession. And what about that catch!
"A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin."
H. L. Mencken

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Have to admit I had a strong feeling beforehand that Tyrone would lose today and for a good spell there it looked that way. The team came through Ulster easy enough but never really flowed and at times against Antrim looked pretty disjointed. That and the fact that this is the kind of match Tyrone have at times slipped up with in recent years made me pretty concerned. Having come through a close enough match against a strong, physical well organised and motivated side should hopefully do Tyrone a power of good though, they certainly needed it. Ultimately Tyrone are at this stage where they were wanted to be back in May, in the All-Ireland semi with the minimum of fuss. A further big step up will be required for the next day.

Good effort by Kildare, should have a Leinster title inside them if they continue to improve.

pintsofguinness

QuoteJusty being dragged and held down before Ricey got blown for overcarrying.

I think you'll find it was "Justy" who pulled down and held the Kildare player, ref didnt give the free but give one when McMenamin had barely the ball in his hands because imo he realised he should have given the free 5 seconds earlier.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

tyssam5

Quote from: sandwiches_in_the_boot on August 02, 2009, 11:00:00 PM
Relief!

First off i'm rather bemused at the comments about Tyrone obstructing frees and cynical tactics. Were you at the same game I was at? Kildare's persistant fouling was far more evident. Can't believe Early wasn't shown a yellow card for taking out Mulligan in the first half when he had him beat in front of the goals. Tyrone do this too but its at least punished with a yellow card.

Mc Geeney's tactics were far more evident in the Kildare players running (very close) in front to distract free takers and fouling players to break down attacks. I won't say Tyrone are entirely innocent, I didn't like Cavanagh knocking the ball out of the Kildare player's hands at the end, but jesus talk about pot calling the kettle black.

As for the boos, they were coming from the canal end (mostly) which was full of children, but I didn't like the cheering and flag waving at Tyrone's wides.

And if you want to start talking about missed chances, what about the 3 scoreable frees Tyrone missed in a row. Tyrone should have won by 5. Gormley was my MOTM, he was all over the forwards and as for "dark tactics" ffs Kildare gave as good as they got. What about Justy being dragged and held down before Ricey got blown for overcarrying. Not to sure about SON for MOTM, he had a poor first half, but you can't really argue with 7 points.

...And finally, no harm, lets hope that's Tommy McGuigan's starting place gone, too many bad performances, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who is full of dread everytime he steps up to take a free. Brian' has a great head, and never wastes possession. And what about that catch!

Don't think he will start Brian against Cork though, match-fitness will be at a premium against this mobile Cork side.

sandwiches_in_the_boot

Quote from: tyssam5 on August 02, 2009, 11:05:01 PM
Don't think he will start Brian against Cork though, match-fitness will be at a premium against this mobile Cork side.

True. But although he's no doubt improved, Tommy shouldn't start against Cork, I'd hate to see Penrose make way for Cavanagh up front if (lets hope) Mc Ginleys fit.
"A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin."
H. L. Mencken

loughshore lad

Quote from: sandwiches_in_the_boot on August 02, 2009, 11:00:00 PM

Yes Tommy played poorly today and has not had a great few outings.  The free taking issue is a strange one for me.  Tommy is not first choice free taker for the club as Frank hits them.  Mugsy or Sean could also hit them for Tyrone but dont seem to want the responsibility.

So glad to see Brian playing as well as he did, some going to get back to where he is now after what he endured.

clarshack

this was the good tough game that tyrone needed. fair play to kildare. if they stick at it they'll be serious contenders next year - a much better team than armagh, derry or antrim.
poor perfomances today came from: t mcguigan, jordan & cavanagh
good performances: o'neill, mulligan, penrose, b mcguigan, c gormley, justin mcmahon.

also cant believe ger canning going on about philip jordans block in the 2002 ai final.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: orangeman on August 02, 2009, 10:27:39 PM
Quote from: Rois on August 02, 2009, 10:19:55 PM
I was Lower Hogan, section 330, he may have been drunk but was in his 40s, not a  teenager. I have never had that language directed at me before. Jaysus I was nearly in tears!  

You should have called the stewards.

It wasn't the boyo who ran onto the field to remonstrate with the ref ?

"And the language. Ya wouldn't hear it from a docker."
"Ah ya would now Ted. They use very bad language."
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Donnellys Hollow

"I'm from Corless, Corless & Sweeney"

"We're fine for coal thanks"
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Mr. Nakata

Midfield completely pulverised yet again. How do we win these matches? Cork will have a field day in this sector. All Packy's short kickouts were excellent, though the normal ones were big floaters suiting the kildare lads to a tee. Jordan and Harte had a real tough day today. Tommy's head went down after missing those frees and I thought he'd be off earlier. It reminded me of the stinker he had against Mayo last year. He bounced back then and he'll do so again. Cracking game overall, looking forward to watching the tape. The blitzkrieg at the start of the second half was vintage stuff, both in attack and defense.

omagh_gael

brilliant game, not long back still sore head and throat from shouting. Jaysus that was nervy stuff! Agree with a lot that's been posted already baring this nonsense of tyrones 'dark arts' crap, yes we are cynical and play on the edge but Kildare were at the same carry on all game also! Keneavy would drive u nuts with his inconsistency, although it wasn't the worst game iv seen him ref. Probably only played a minute injury time to make up for the seven he played against cavan 05! I was sitting in canal end and was disgusted with the Kildare support jumping, waving arms, booing etc at Tyrone frees and this was certainly not the minority. Fair enough if it was a contenscious decsion or the games got nasty but this was constant from the word go. On a lighter note...did anyone notice packie's sliced kick out during the warm up that clocked an artane band member on the skull, was quite amusing  ;D