Mayo Vs Meath - All-Ireland Quarter Finals

Started by AbbeySider, July 24, 2009, 10:01:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HowAreYeGettinOn

longrunsthefox

Call me crazy but I have a sneaking feeling Mayo will win the Sam Maguire Cup this year... yeah is crazy but I feel it in my bones

Jinxy

Quote from: HowAreYeGettinOn on August 02, 2009, 10:51:14 PM
Looking at last night's match, Meath didn't look like world-beaters. They had Limerick beaten, went back into their shells, and only for Limerick's tendency to walk the ball into the forward line rather than kick it, Meath would have lost. As it was, they were lucky that the ref pulled up the Limerick man for over-carrying before he pointed at the death - extra-time would have seen Limerick win imo.

Based on form and ability, Mayo have a big chance next Sunday. Which, as we all know too well, does not guarantee that they will take it.

Get up the yard!
Limerick were awarded 2 blatantly illegal goals and Lucey DID overcarry the ball.
These are the facts.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

HowAreYeGettinOn

Limerick were awarded 2 blatantly illegal goals and Lucey DID overcarry the ball.
You might be right about the overcarrying Jinxy - there's many a ref that would have let that one go though. I was surprised the ref blew for it.

Didn't think there was anything wrong with the two goals myself. For the first one the lad did awful well to get a shot in at all. The second one should have been fielded by the two Meathmen who were under it.

Anyway - the best team won in the end. May that be true the next day too. (And may that team be Mayo!  ;))

muppet

Quote from: Jinxy on August 02, 2009, 11:49:23 PM
Looking at last night's match, Meath didn't look like world-beaters. They had Limerick beaten, went back into their shells, and only for Limerick's tendency to walk the ball into the forward line rather than kick it, Meath would have lost. As it was, they were lucky that the ref pulled up the Limerick man for over-carrying before he pointed at the death - extra-time would have seen Limerick win imo.

Based on form and ability, Mayo have a big chance next Sunday. Which, as we all know too well, does not guarantee that they will take it.

Get up the yard!
These are the facts.

If Limerick were allowed to equalise that time at the end the referee would have been lynched. Limerick were well off the pace and the only reason they were in the game was because the all important decisions went their way.
MWWSI 2017

Jinxy

Quote from: muppet on August 02, 2009, 11:57:10 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on August 02, 2009, 11:49:23 PM

Get up the yard!
These are the facts.

If Limerick were allowed to equalise that time at the end the referee would have been lynched.
Limerick were well off the pace and the only reason they were in the game was because the all important decisions went their way.

A few oul lads around me were under starters orders if Limerick had equalized!

If you were any use you'd be playing.

HowAreYeGettinOn

Quote from: hardstation on August 03, 2009, 12:01:32 AM
1. 7 steps.
2. Square ball.
Don't have the video to hand, but wasn't the Limerick attacker being tackled during those 7 steps? Isn't there leeway for that (informally if not in the rulebook)?

muppet

Quote from: HowAreYeGettinOn on August 03, 2009, 12:13:02 AM
1. 7 steps.
2. Square ball.
Don't have the video to hand, but wasn't the Limerick attacker being tackled during those 7 steps? Isn't there leeway for that (informally if not in the rulebook)?

No.
MWWSI 2017

meathie

Quote from: moysider on August 01, 2009, 09:13:34 PM

John Maughan seems intent on keeping it lit under Johnno. You have to love it. The ordinary garden supporter in Mayo is cautioned to keep a lid on things and then a man who maybe saw the  negative effects  in the recent past cant help layering it on with a trowel. Here a few of his thoughts from this weeks Advertiser.

How good are Mayo really?
Mayo Advertiser, July 31, 2009.

I am finding it fairly difficult to establish just how good this current Mayo team really are, so I have conducted my own little independent survey among knowledgeable footballing friends from outside the county. Every single person I have spoken to since Mayo's Connacht final victory over Galway has suggested that the Mayo team is in with a serious shout of winning this year's All-Ireland title. They love the fact that this present group of players is big and strong with lots of ball winners particularly in the central positions. They also argue that it is a team that appears capable of scoring goals.

Looking at what is left in the championship I genuinely believe that Mayo are capable of beating any one of the remaining teams. I was hoping that Mayo would avoid Kerry in the quarter-final draw last Sunday and thankfully we did. It appears from afar that all is not well in their camp at present, but I can guarantee you they are, this week, six or seven points a better team than they were this time last week. They overcame the game challenge of Antrim in Tullamore last Sunday and will benefit enormously from that victory. They love Croke Park and produce their best football at HQ. While I accept they are not nearly as formidable as they once were, I still think they are best avoided at this juncture. If we had been drawn to play them next weekend and then beaten them in Croke Park, I feel that the hype would kick off a month too early!

The draw, however, has Mayo paired with the winners of Meath and Limerick. I would love to see Mayo draw Meath, as we owe them one from 1996. Whether it is Meath or Limerick, however, it is generally accepted that this is a fantastic draw from a Mayo perspective. I believe that, deep down, the Mayo management recognise this too but will be most anxious not to convey that feeling to the team. I have a sneaking suspicion that Limerick might be good enough to beat Meath tomorrow for the second year in a row. If you recall Limerick destroyed Meath last year in a 'back door' game that led to the immediate resignation of Colm Coyle, the Meath manager. Limerick are probably a better team this year and I am not convinced that Meath have improved in the last 12 months. John O'Mahony and his management team will almost certainly make their way to Portlaoise tomorrow for the 7pm throw-in to analyse their quarter-final opponents. Management are leaving nothing to chance as I believe they covered every match last weekend before the draw on Sunday evening. That involved taking to the air after training in Castlebar last Sunday to be in time for the Kerry v Antrim match in Tullamore. They almost certainly will take in the big one in Croker on Monday afternoon, as it will be the winners of the Dubs v Kerry that Mayo, should they advance, play in the semi-final. Exciting times indeed!

Go on the John! Love it! hate him! exciting game in store. we have nothing to lose here, nothing. Im emjoying this low key build up already, from a Meath point of view. Though we all know those pics of our lads kicking yards around the Mayo boys will kick off during the week.  ;D Who knows, on paper Mayo should ease past us, BUT just like Mayo with us, all we need is Mayo to motivate us and a Dublin semi to follow too  :P no in seriousness its a tough one for us, no doubt, and Mayo should win it. I liked Meaths heart at the end of yeaterdays game, where in recent years we might not have won that close a game, yesterday with 14 they had passion of old and that for me, is good to see....

HowAreYeGettinOn

Quote from: muppet on August 03, 2009, 12:14:25 AM
Quote from: HowAreYeGettinOn on August 03, 2009, 12:13:02 AM
1. 7 steps.
2. Square ball.

No.
So Michael Meehan's goal shouldn't have been given against us the other week then.

I knew it.  ;)

whitey

Most of the current Mayo team were still in National School (if even) in 1996. Painful as it was/is-it needs to be let go. .  Meath got a couple of unlucky breaks against Dublin-they got a few lucky ones yeatsrday-thats how it goes
We play them next week-its 15 against 15. Form up until now counts for nothing-its all about execution and adaptation on the day.

We had our chance in 1996 and we didnt take it-pure and simple. The best team doesnt always win, the team that plays the most attractive football doesnt always win, the team with the best players doesnt always win-the team with the bigger score on the scoreboard wins!

How you get there-well thats up to you

stephenite

Quote from: whitey on August 03, 2009, 01:53:22 AM
Most of the current Mayo team were still in National School (if even) in 1996. Painful as it was/is-it needs to be let go. .  Meath got a couple of unlucky breaks against Dublin-they got a few lucky ones yeatsrday-thats how it goes
We play them next week-its 15 against 15. Form up until now counts for nothing-its all about execution and adaptation on the day.

We had our chance in 1996 and we didnt take it-pure and simple. The best team doesnt always win, the team that plays the most attractive football doesnt always win, the team with the best players doesnt always win-the team with the bigger score on the scoreboard wins!

How you get there-well thats up to you

Well said

outthecountry

So who's in line to fill in for B. Moran. Will Johnno change tactic if we don't have the 6'5" on the edge of the square. Hardly start Conoreen in his place then that will be a complete change of tactic. meath will have their homework done on A. O'Shea and you can't load all the expectation on a 19 year old regardless of how good he is. Would love to see Tom Parsons fill in for B Moran. Big tall lad, good hands and would be able to bring the rest in to play. Tactics would remain as they were. If not maybe A. O'Malley could be used as a battering ram instead but would prefer the former option. Anyone else any ideas or be able to pre-empt what Johnno will pull out of the hat for this one.
Anyway if Carlsberg did the championship then we will beat Meath by a cricket score - meet and beat kerry in the semi and finally beat Cork in the final to avenge all the years of pain. Would probably die happy.!!!!

Eastern_Pride

Meath are as good as Wicklow now and Mayo are along the same lines as kerry. It reallt is mayo's game to lose!
Do you think Usain Bolt could replace Thomas Walsh?

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Eastern_Pride on August 03, 2009, 02:37:38 PM
Meath are as good as Wicklow now and Mayo are along the same lines as kerry. It reallt is mayo's game to lose!

But Wicklow are out and Meath aren't though.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.