any reccomendations for Aran islands

Started by lynchbhoy, July 20, 2009, 03:38:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lynchbhoy

any reccomendations for Aran islands - thinking about going over for a couple of nights
any opinions on the best island and places to stay,eat/drink
TIA

Zapatista

No idea lynchbhoy but I hear the flight over is an experience in itself should you decide to take it.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Zapatista on July 20, 2009, 03:41:08 PM
No idea lynchbhoy but I hear the flight over is an experience in itself should you decide to take it.
well it could be no worse than the first flight over to glasgow I had - in a prop plane, in near gale force winds with a nervous screaming lady sitting in the seat behind me that frightened the bejaysus out of the entire plane load of people !

the Deel Rover

Been a few years since i was there headed over on the boat . Back then there was feck all places to eat and the pubs closed early much to our disgust it might have changed since lynchbhoy
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

lynchbhoy

Quote from: the Deel Rover on July 20, 2009, 04:58:30 PM
Been a few years since i was there headed over on the boat . Back then there was feck all places to eat and the pubs closed early much to our disgust it might have changed since lynchbhoy
jeez thats the two worst things you could have said to me Deel
if thats the case I'll not be heading over !
:o

Dinny Breen

Not been able to drink or ate might do you no harm  ;)
#newbridgeornowhere

the Deel Rover

Quote from: lynchbhoy on July 20, 2009, 05:02:14 PM
Quote from: the Deel Rover on July 20, 2009, 04:58:30 PM
jeez thats the two worst things you could have said to me Deel
if thats the case I'll not be heading over !
:o

:D sorry about that lynchbhoy we went to inis mor, As i said it might have changed since maybe the galway lads know more.we were dissapointed with the trip at the time .
Crossmolina Deel Rovers

AidyMac

Tis OK

Was over there about 5 years ago - had a good few rips, but then I knew the barman in Joe Wattys - not sure of this is still open

Hired out bikes and cycled around the island, not all that long, but good experience - at once stage we witnessed 2 rats fighting in the road  :o

We went over in the boat which was fine, but someone told me that the plane is the way to go  :P

lynchbhoy

thanks Lads

doenst sound like a place I would want to go to !

Dinny thats prob why the wife wants to go there !

the Deel Rover

Quote from: lynchbhoy on July 21, 2009, 11:23:05 AM
thanks Lads

doenst sound like a place I would want to go to !

Dinny thats prob why the wife wants to go there !

head to westport for 2 nights lynchbhoy thats more your scene plenty of places to eat and drink and talk football sure what more would you want
Crossmolina Deel Rovers

clareman

I was on Inisoirr lately and had a great weekend. 3 pubs in it - at least 2 of them served great grub and the third had a fine breakfast. Went over by boat from Doolin which was grand. Both nights drink was served away till about half 3.

Would definitely recommend it for a weekend...

lynchbhoy

Quote from: clareman on July 21, 2009, 12:11:13 PM
I was on Inisoirr lately and had a great weekend. 3 pubs in it - at least 2 of them served great grub and the third had a fine breakfast. Went over by boat from Doolin which was grand. Both nights drink was served away till about half 3.

thanks Clareman , will deffo look into that!!

Deel - are you the mayo tourist board !

GalwayBayBoy

There are plenty of places to eat on the islands. Well on Inis Mor and Inis Oirr anyway. And some good pubs on both too. Only difference is that there are guards on Inis Mor so they operate the same pub opening hours as on the mainland. No guards on Inis Oirr although I do think they pop up there sometimes on busy weekends. Inis Meain the middle island is very quiet compared to the other two.

the Deel Rover

Quote from: lynchbhoy on July 21, 2009, 12:56:15 PM
Quote from: clareman on July 21, 2009, 12:11:13 PM

thanks Clareman , will deffo look into that!!

Deel - are you the mayo tourist board !

not at all lb  ;) as i said it was a few years ago so get other posters opinions before making your mind up
Crossmolina Deel Rovers

lynchbhoy

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on July 21, 2009, 01:23:37 PM
There are plenty of places to eat on the islands. Well on Inis Mor and Inis Oirr anyway. And some good pubs on both too. Only difference is that there are guards on Inis Mor so they operate the same pub opening hours as on the mainland. No guards on Inis Oirr although I do think they pop up there sometimes on busy weekends. Inis Meain the middle island is very quiet compared to the other two.
thanks GBB, Can you get over and back on day trips to one/any of the islands?