Mayo V Galway - Connacht Final Thread

Started by stephenite, June 24, 2009, 01:15:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rosnarun

But screw your courage to the sticking-place, and we'll not fail

i hope the platers have more stomach for battle than some of the mayo posters here. as ive stated before there is no logical reasonGalway should even be close to mayo sunday P Joyce is fading badly no midfield , dodgy goalie with discontent in the camp,
I cat see this being even close
Mayo by 10
mayo 2-14
galway 0-10
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Son_of_Sam

Quote from: rosnarun on July 17, 2009, 01:16:54 AM

i hope the platers have more stomach for battle than some of the mayo posters here. as ive stated before there is no logical reasonGalway should even be close to mayo sunday P Joyce is fading badly no midfield , dodgy goalie with discontent in the camp,
Mayo by 10
mayo 2-14
galway 0-10

I don't normally agree with Rosnarun but I think he is spot on here, if Mayo start with any sort of coherence, they will win with a lot to spare. I normally predict a very close one, but not this year, I just have that feeling.

Mayo 4-15
Galway 0-09

I believe the only Gale blowing across Pearse this Sunday is the brewing storm in the hearts of the Gaels from the Heather County. A storm is ready to carry Mayo all the way to victory this year. Lads we have a good team, a damn good team, they should fear no-one, Heron-Chokers, Rebels, men from the Kingdom, Dubs nor Redhanders or anybody else. Lads we are getting stronger & stronger everyone else are weaking IMO. We got the talent, we got the players, we got the manager, we got the fans, we getting the tactics right, now lets go and get bloody Sam.

stephenite

Quote from: Son_of_Sam on July 17, 2009, 04:17:17 AM

Mayo by 10
mayo 2-14
galway 0-10

I don't normally agree with Rosnarun but I think he is spot on here, if Mayo start with any sort of coherence, they will win with a lot to spare. I normally predict a very close one, but not this year, I just have that feeling.

Mayo 4-15
Galway 0-09

I believe the only Gale blowing across Pearse this Sunday is the brewing storm in the hearts of the Gaels from the Heather County. A storm is ready to carry Mayo all the way to victory this year. Lads we have a good team, a damn good team, they should fear no-one, Heron-Chokers, Rebels, men from the Kingdom, Dubs nor Redhanders or anybody else. Lads we are getting stronger & stronger everyone else are weaking IMO. We got the talent, we got the players, we got the manager, we got the fans, we getting the tactics right, now lets go and get bloody Sam.

It's normally at least mid-August before we start losing the run of ourselves, and now after one game where we hockey a poor Rossie side we have lads thinking we can bate the Herrons out the gate. This is a good Mayo team, but the best Galway teams have never beaten the worst Mayo teams by more than a few points and vice-versa. I think Mayo are capable of winning, but if they do I don't believe it will be by a cricket score, it hardly ever is against this shower, and vice-versa.

Tubberman

QuoteBut screw your courage to the sticking-place, and we'll not fail

Mayo by 10
mayo 2-14
galway 0-10

Mayo 4-15
Galway 0-09

:o :o :D
Long night was it?
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

EastMayoHerald

Lads.  Stuck abroad for the match.  Is there any hope of seeing the match what with Setanta gone bust?  Immigration is tough.

An Fhairche Abu

Mayo by 10
mayo 2-14
galway 0-10

Mayo 4-15
Galway 0-09

After so much heartbreak in All Ireland finals I cannot but admire the optimism/delusion of some Mayo followers, if that 4-15 to 0-09 result does come to pass then the hyperbole of not fearing Kerry, Dublin or Tyrone will be warranted I'll grant you, but an 18 point hammering of us in our back yard? Get real, Mayo are not that good, ye hammered the worst Roscommon team I ever saw take the field, fair play to ye but in terms of this match and the All Ireland series I don't see ye dishing out any more hammerings to any team.

Mayo could very well win this match but I'd see it as a tight game either way if midfield can be broken even for both teams, if Mayo get totally on top here then we could ship a bad beating alright but not by 18 points!
In terms of going forward, neither team have the capacity to win it out on the 3rd Sunday in September IMHO, I don't see an All Ireland winning team from the pick of Galway and Mayo to be honest.

RedandGreenSniper

Mayo by 10
mayo 2-14
galway 0-10

Mayo 4-15
Galway 0-09

Whoa there boy, that's crazy talk. Mayo can only win by four/five at a push. Galway could also win by that margin. Its more likely to be only two points between the sides. Mayo to win but we'll have nothing easy.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on July 16, 2009, 10:10:51 PM
Quote from: Duine Eile on July 16, 2009, 09:25:23 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on July 16, 2009, 09:21:40 PM
Galway team to play Mayo

Adrian Faherty
Niall Coyne
Finian Hanley
Damien Burke
Gareth Bradshaw
Diarmuid Blake
Gary Sice
Paul Conroy
Niall Coleman
Joe Bergin
Padraig Joyce
Nicky Joyce
Sean Armstrong
Michael Meehan
Declan Meehan

WTF?! Deccie Meehan at corner forward?

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who reacted that way to the lineup!
WTF is right.  Big surprise that.  I guess he will have a roaming brief.  Its been a long time since Deccie played corner forward!

No complaints with the rest of the rest of the team though.  Coleman will be fine; the sight of a green and red jersey seems to inspire him  ;)  We dont have may forward options on the bench but we knew that already.  As usual, there will be feck all between the sides BUT Galway by 2.

Son_of_Sam

My prediction was not made after a heavy night on the beer, as when I wrote this here in Australia it was the middle of the day & if you wish to blame 2 double expressos for my exuburance then fair enough. I did take a goal from Galway & give it to Mayo when I re-edited my post, i.e. 12 point win becomes 18. My massive win comes from my belief that goals & lots of goals is the difference between how this Mayo will win than previous ones. If it does come to a 1 or 2 point game it will hinge on the normal toss of the coin of most Mayo games, but I base my belief in a win on the fact that with a great start Mayo could have a 2 or 3 goal advantage on Galway very early on & that we will just push on from there. If these goals don't come I think my prediction may not alone be along way off, but I might have even chosen the wrong victor.

But I do believe Mayo will win & win well & yes I have seen Galway & Mayo hammer each other. Johnos first year we where hockied out the gate & a few years back we went 6 down after 15 minutes but won at a canter 6 points up.

rosnarun

d meehan at corner forward is an obvious sign of fear and it looks lke sammon is going to flood the midfield area to curb mayos presumed dominance. could be lots of breaking ball and who ever wins that battle wil probably win the match. could suit mayo that. as i think what mayo would fear most is a shoot out again galways huge scoring threat.
not like them to run for cover

AbbeySider

Quote from: GaillimhIarthair on July 17, 2009, 10:40:05 AM
WTF is right.  Big surprise that.  I guess he will have a roaming brief.  Its been a long time since Deccie played corner forward!

Quote from: rosnarun on July 17, 2009, 11:42:32 AM
d meehan at corner forward is an obvious sign of fear and it looks lke sammon is going to flood the midfield area to curb mayos presumed dominance.

eh....

Am I the only one that thinks Declan Meehan will be brought all the way back as a sweeper to play in front of Barry Moran and Aidan O Shea? If thats the way to play against the Donaghy threat that Kerry have then its the way to play against Mayo's twin towers.

Its negative but could be a master stroke.
If our FullForward line is contained where will the scores come from?
I certainly cant see Galway using Declan Meehan around midfield. There wont be that much breaking ball.

But every second ball breaks off O Shea and Moran so its obvious to play a sweeper in front of them... is it not?

HowAreYeGettinOn

Ah, the Mayo posters are making us proud again. No-one like ourselves for the oul' rush of blood. When did we ever hammer Galway in Galway lads? Jaysus. ::)

People talking about goals - Galway got two early ones in the last two years, and they have never had a problem scoring goals against Mayo. So even if Mayo score a couple, they'll most likely be cancelled out at the other end.

We have no McGarrity, Galway have better forwards. Both sets of backs are decent, and Galway always do enough in midfield against us to give their forwards the necessary ammo. So imho it comes down to a couple of simple things;

- Will Johnno ensure that Joyce is man-marked?
- Will he make sure that Mayo hit the full-forward line as early as possible with fast ball instead of the usual Mayo thing of walking it up the field?
- Will he psyche Mayo up to get physical with Galway for a change?

If he takes care of these three, I can see Mayo winning (narrowly). Otherwise it's Galway's day.

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: AbbeySider on July 17, 2009, 11:51:42 AM
Quote from: GaillimhIarthair on July 17, 2009, 10:40:05 AM

Quote from: rosnarun on July 17, 2009, 11:42:32 AM
d meehan at corner forward is an obvious sign of fear and it looks lke sammon is going to flood the midfield area to curb mayos presumed dominance.

eh....

Am I the only one that thinks Declan Meehan will be brought all the way back as a sweeper to play in front of Barry Moran and Aidan O Shea? If thats the way to play against the Donaghy threat that Kerry have then its the way to play against Mayo's twin towers.

Its negative but could be a master stroke.
If our FullForward line is contained where will the scores come from?
I certainly cant see Galway using Declan Meehan around midfield. There wont be that much breaking ball.

But every second ball breaks off O Shea and Moran so its obvious to play a sweeper in front of them... is it not?

The big surprise is that Deccie Meehan is actually starting to be honest AS.  Seeing him with the 15 jersey just adds to the shock factor.  He will more than likely be stationed around the middle to sweep up breaking ball (there will be a lot of this IMO) or as you say in front of the FB line.  I dont mind where he is so long as he is effective.  He was poor v Sligo and i just dont think he has the legs anymore for a pacy wing forward.   

rosnarun

your right of course . mayo godhelp us. dont know what came over me. but sure ell go along anyway

myball22

I think this role that everyone has assigned to declan meehan based on his jersey number would be more suited to Bradshaw. As meehan is getting on, he has the greater engine, the height to compete for the ball in the middle and able to take a score. I would use Bradshaw in this roving role. I'm not sure if this is what Sammon has in mind?

Whatever it is a Connacht final is not the time for experimenting. We have known that midfield is a problem area all year, we should know what we are doing to limit the damage that could be caused there by now.

That said this will probably be a close thing, a goal or two at critical moments will decide it either way.