Mayo V Galway - Connacht Final Thread

Started by stephenite, June 24, 2009, 01:15:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mckieran

QuoteSo who should be midfield for Galway?

I would play Bergin & Cullinane midfield but I suspect Sammon will play Coleman & bergin with Conroy wing forward.

Is T. Hughes on the Galway panel this year? Strange he was never given a game during the league.

Also, Is David Reilly still on the panel? He was going well in the league up to the Mayo match

Duine Eile

Not sure about David Reilly but Tom Hughes is gone to America for the summer. Don't think he was ever really good enough for the county panel anyway, Micheal Keane is a better midfielder than him but never got a look in, there's meant to be some lad from Carraroe a decent enough midfielder aswell but didn't get a look, it'd make you wonder is Sammon going to club games at all, he seems to have his few favourites, Breathnach, Coyne, Bradshaw, the only one of them I'd start against Mayo is Bradshaw. Mullahy is one of our hardest working and fastest players yet hasn't been seen since the middle of the league, Alan Burke hasn't gotten a run in a year I'd say and he's twice the player the cousin is.  The official line is he's 'injured'. No he's not. Not often I agree with Jim Carney but think he has a point when he says there's something funny going on there.

mckieran

QuoteNot sure about David Reilly but Tom Hughes is gone to America for the summer. Don't think he was ever really good enough for the county panel anyway, Micheal Keane is a better midfielder than him but never got a look in, there's meant to be some lad from Carraroe a decent enough midfielder aswell but didn't get a look, it'd make you wonder is Sammon going to club games at all, he seems to have his few favourites, Breathnach, Coyne, Bradshaw, the only one of them I'd start against Mayo is Bradshaw. Mullahy is one of our hardest working and fastest players yet hasn't been seen since the middle of the league, Alan Burke hasn't gotten a run in a year I'd say and he's twice the player the cousin is.  The official line is he's 'injured'. No he's not. Not often I agree with Jim Carney but think he has a point when he says there's something funny going on there.

Dont think Alan Burke is better than Damien to be honest. He is quicker but not really tough enough (Although he may have been a better option than JJ Greaney the last day). Mullahy does seem to get a raw deal, plays (well) for almost every league game and then dropped for championship. It is strange.

Who would you start instead of Coyne against Mayo? Coyne was a player I had serious reservations about when I saw him first but he has had a few very good games for Galway.

Duine Eile

I'd nearly start Kieran Fitz in the corner, another player who hasn't seen much game time under Sammon. I just think Coyne is more of a wing back, he was absolutely roasted against Sligo, at this stage of the championship though I can't see too many radical changes to the line up. We'll probably have same full back line, Gary Sice will probably get Dec Meehan's spot, either Coleman or Cullinane will get O'Donnells shirt and maybe Nicky instead of Clancy (depending on the injury) or Bane. Then again he might decide not to start Nicky after the last couple of weeks events. It's hard to predict any team Sammon names, who would have had Declan Meehan starting the last day, not many I'd imagine.

myball22

Is Finian Hanley ok? Yeah i'd be inclined to start Kieran Fitz too. He's be up against one of the big Mayo forwards so will have the height. I would start Mullahy instead of Sice, just not inter-county standard IMO.

Cullinane looked really jaded when we came on the last day, I could see Coleman instead of him starting at midfield and maybe Nicky Joyce for Matthew Clancy too.

AbbeySider

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on July 02, 2009, 10:25:21 PM
Quote from: AbbeySider on July 01, 2009, 09:54:09 AM
As for Bane being dangerous "if given space"?
Everyone is dangerous given space... when I head down to my local pitch having a few shots when no-one is around I have plenty of space and im pinging them over!  ;)  :P

Can't let this one pass. You weren't too lethal when you had an open goal from two yards out and you put it wide with no one near you in a recent junior match in Clogher! Plenty of space that time Abbeysider! It made Ronnie Rosenthal look like Torres! :D

:D :D :D

I volleyed it off a rebound off the keeper ya smartass !
I had the reflexes of a Cat just to get anything on it at all !  ;) :P  :D :D :D

Who won that game by the way?

Duine Eile

Wouldn't be the biggest fan of Sice but in fairness to him he did make a difference when he came on the last day. Don't know what they were thinking starting Declan Meehan,he was lost out there. I'd be wary of starting Cullinane, he was so unfit looking the last day he'd be lucky to finish the half I'd say. I'd go with Joe and Paul midfield and maybe put Niall Coleman at half forward to pick up the breaks, we need someone that isn't afraid to fight for the scraps.

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: AbbeySider on July 03, 2009, 01:22:06 PM
Everyone is dangerous given space... when I head down to my local pitch having a few shots when no-one is around I have plenty of space and im pinging them over!  ;)  :P

Can't let this one pass. You weren't too lethal when you had an open goal from two yards out and you put it wide with no one near you in a recent junior match in Clogher! Plenty of space that time Abbeysider! It made Ronnie Rosenthal look like Torres! :D

I had the reflexes of a Cat just to get anything on it at all !  ;) :P  :D :D :D

A very old and lethargic cat! I seem to forget the result but certainly can't forget that miss.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

mckieran

QuoteWouldn't be the biggest fan of Sice but in fairness to him he did make a difference when he came on the last day. Don't know what they were thinking starting Declan Meehan,he was lost out there. I'd be wary of starting Cullinane, he was so unfit looking the last day he'd be lucky to finish the half I'd say. I'd go with Joe and Paul midfield and maybe put Niall Coleman at half forward to pick up the breaks, we need someone that isn't afraid to fight for the scraps.

I see your point regarding Cullinane but he really is the only player we have that can compete for a high ball from the kickout. That is why I woud play him. I would love to have the luxury of having him as a sub. It is terrible to think that Dublin have two midfielders on the bench (Whelan & Ryan) that would probably make our first 15.

AbbeySider

Quote from: mckieran on July 03, 2009, 02:39:15 PM
QuoteWouldn't be the biggest fan of Sice but in fairness to him he did make a difference when he came on the last day. Don't know what they were thinking starting Declan Meehan,he was lost out there. I'd be wary of starting Cullinane, he was so unfit looking the last day he'd be lucky to finish the half I'd say. I'd go with Joe and Paul midfield and maybe put Niall Coleman at half forward to pick up the breaks, we need someone that isn't afraid to fight for the scraps.

I see your point regarding Cullinane but he really is the only player we have that can compete for a high ball from the kickout. That is why I woud play him. I would love to have the luxury of having him as a sub. It is terrible to think that Dublin have two midfielders on the bench (Whelan & Ryan) that would probably make our first 15.

Im not sure if Cullinane and Bergan have the pace to play together in the middle.
Cullinane looked extremely sluggish the last day and Bergan wasnt setting the ground on fire either.

To be honest I reckon Sammon will move to Bergan FullForward at some stage... its just a hunch.
I have a feeling he could throw a curve ball like that. Play Sean Armstrong and Meehan off him.

muppet

Cat was the word I heard as well.
MWWSI 2017

IolarCoisCuain

Ray Silke isn't too happy with the Galway display the last day: http://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/14163

It'll be good old crack, this year's Connacht Final, not least with not much room to regroup with the qualifier the next week. It's do or die by the seaside I think.

An Fhairche Abu

I was dumbfounded when I heard that there was going to be a 6/7 day turnaround for the losers of this game, I thought that there were procedures in place to stop this happening again after the outcry from other counties put in this position before in years gone by?
It's very unfair on whichever team comes out on the wrong side of the result, they will be facing into a qualifier against a team on a roll regardless of who they are drawn against.

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: muppet on July 03, 2009, 03:44:39 PM

Cat was the word I heard as well.

Cat malowgin.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year