Mayo V Galway - Connacht Final Thread

Started by stephenite, June 24, 2009, 01:15:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 30, 2009, 08:31:35 PM
If Galway don't manage to 'rough us up' again like they did the previous few encounters then I thnk we will win. It's time we 'roughed them up', way past time. This will be the telling point for where Mayo are really at. I'm looking forward to it and midfield will be crucial.

Not sure where this keeps springing up from that the mean Galway bullies have been picking on the poor wee lads from Mayo. None of the last few games have been in any way dirty compared to what you see in some other provinces. There was barely even a hard shoulder thrown at all in last year's game. Yet I keep seeing Mayo people referring to Galway roughing them up every single year. At least when they lose. It's never mentioned of course if they win. It's become some soft of self-perpetuating myth.

Tubberman

QuoteQuote from: Farrandeelin on Today at 08:31:35 PM
If Galway don't manage to 'rough us up' again like they did the previous few encounters then I thnk we will win. It's time we 'roughed them up', way past time. This will be the telling point for where Mayo are really at. I'm looking forward to it and midfield will be crucial.

Not sure where this keeps springing up from that the mean Galway bullies have been picking on the poor wee lads from Mayo. None of the last few games have been in any way dirty compared to what you see in some other provinces. There was barely even a hard shoulder thrown at all in last year's game. Yet I keep seeing Mayo people referring to Galway roughing them up every single year. At least when they lose. It's never mentioned of course if they win. It's become some soft of self-perpetuating myth.

You're right, there was no 'roughing up' in last year's game. We were just at sea at the start, and couldn't make up the ground.
However, in the Forde years there was definitely a change in approach from Galway. They were far more physical, although I wouldn't call it dirty. But it was a definite departure from the traditional Galway style and wasn't popular with either Galway or Mayo supporters!
It seemed to do the trick against Mayo, but, it either didn't work against other teams, or Galway couldn't muster up the same 'enthusiasm' when they weren't faced with the ould enemy
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on June 30, 2009, 09:17:05 PM

Agree totally, don't know where this myth has come out of. Everyone else in the country classes us as too "nice" and as "fancy dans", it's only the Mayo lads who seem to have the idea that they got roughed up in matches, something to do with sore losing possibly?

Just watched the Sligo match today as I was out of the country at the weekend, very poor showing by Galway, we were poxed to get the win to be honest, even John O'Mahony will have huge trouble talking Mayo down from a raging hot favourites tag for the Connacht final.

SLIGONIAN

Whenever your ready change the topic subject.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

stephenite

SLIGONIAN

"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

GaillimhIarthair

Nicky Joyce returned to Galway training last night, three weeks after being removed from the squad for disciplinary reasons.

Joyce was not part of the squad for last weekend's narrow Connacht semi-final win over Sligo, but the paucity of that display and the absence of cover for attack has prompted manager Liam Sammon to extend the olive branch to Joyce.

Joyce has not been part of the Galway squad since the beginning of June and has remained out of the loop despite attempts to broker a return.

In Sligo, John Joe Greaney was Sammon's first port of call for a replacement attacker when Mattie Clancy got injured midway through the first half, but Greaney was himself replaced at half-time.

AbbeySider

The start of that is fairly cringe-worthy!  :-[
I dont think they roughed us up at all. Last time out in Salthill they played with more appetite and intensity but I couldnt say that they were dirty.
Some of the stigma still hung around after the AIF defeat to Kerry and that was obvious.

It will be totally different this time around. Mayo will be really up for it.

mckieran

QuoteNicky Joyce returned to Galway training last night, three weeks after being removed from the squad for disciplinary reasons.

Joyce was not part of the squad for last weekend's narrow Connacht semi-final win over Sligo, but the paucity of that display and the absence of cover for attack has prompted manager Liam Sammon to extend the olive branch to Joyce.

Joyce has not been part of the Galway squad since the beginning of June and has remained out of the loop despite attempts to broker a return.

In Sligo, John Joe Greaney was Sammon's first port of call for a replacement attacker when Mattie Clancy got injured midway through the first half, but Greaney was himself replaced at half-time.

Sh, Shh, tell these Mayo feckers nothin!

the Deel Rover

Quote from: AbbeySider on July 01, 2009, 09:13:03 AM

The start of that is fairly cringe-worthy!  :-[
I dont think they roughed us up at all. Last time out in Salthill they played with more appetite and intensity but I couldnt say that they were dirty.
Some of the stigma still hung around after the AIF defeat to Kerry and that was obvious.

It will be totally different this time around. Mayo will be really up for it.

ye would know nothing about Roughing up in Knockmore sure ye wouldn't Farrandeelin  ;)
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

AbbeySider

Quote from: GBXII on June 30, 2009, 06:06:51 PM
Wouldn't agree with that at all now. They lined out with Bane and Bergin (not sure where he'll end up playing though, maybe as a third midfielder) either side of Joyce against Sligo, and they are quality players. Bane might not be great at contributing in general play but the lad can score and will certainly be dangerous if given space, and Bergin we know is quality.

I cant agree with you there. Bergan and quality being in the same sentence doesnt sit well with me, especially when he is playing on the half forward line.

As for Bane being dangerous "if given space"?
Everyone is dangerous given space... when I head down to my local pitch having a few shots when no-one is around I have plenty of space and im pinging them over!  ;)  :P

Quote from: GBXII on June 30, 2009, 06:06:51 PM
They could start Clancy (who would be of say, Andy Morans level) wing forward and put Bane in the corner but either way their half forwards are as good as Mayos considering we have T Mortimer at 11 who is hardly in Joyces league and then Harte and Dillon aren't much better or worse than what Galway have.

A line of
Harte, Dillon, Trevor Mortimor
is better than any half forward line we have seen from Galway this year. Joyce is not scoring as much from play as he used to. Mathew Clancey is mediocre and you already know what I think of Bergan.

BTW
The Mayo half forward line above is the same half forward line that played against Roscommon. Granted Dillon started on the wing but moved to CHF after 5-10 minutes.

GaillimhIarthair

[/quote]

As for Bane being dangerous "if given space"?
Everyone is dangerous given space... when I head down to my local pitch having a few shots when no-one is around I have plenty of space and im pinging them over!  ;)  :P

[/quote]

Obviously Abbeysider we would appreciate if ye could give him as much space as the last time ye were in Pearse Stadium  ;) 

rosnarun

i really think it was a case of galway deciding-hee at last is some one we can bully- esp seeing as they never tried it on any one else. i can never forgive the despicable violence dished out 2years ago in particular. my only worry is does this explain why mayo now have a much bigger team and the absence of connor. is jom using his inside knowlede. confession
s of a thug?
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

magpie seanie

I know ye will all say the Galway v. Mayo matches take on a life of their own. I know people will say that Galway will improve with home advantage, the sight of the green and red, the tough match etc.

I still can't see them getting close to Mayo in this one. Lads are picking Barry Cullinane for their teams - he was knackered by the time he ran out to the centre from the sideline the last day and the first thing that happened was Mullen pulled a high ball down from above him. Mayo look a bloody good side to me and Galway will need to improve hugely to keep this competitive and close. Can't see it.

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: rosnarun on July 01, 2009, 11:41:29 AM
i really think it was a case of galway deciding-hee at last is some one we can bully- esp seeing as they never tried it on any one else. i can never forgive the despicable violence dished out 2years ago in particular. my only worry is does this explain why mayo now have a much bigger team and the absence of connor. is jom using his inside knowlede. confession
s of a thug?
??? Absolute shite talk out of you as usual Ros.  What the hell are you on about when you mention "dispicable violence" and "confessions of a thug"?  There is never any of that crap when it comes to Galway/Mayo clashes.  There is a thing called intensity (hit hard, fair and often!), which should be a given when you play your closest rivals, be it either county or club.  Cop yourself on like a good lad.