How to tell someone to get out of your yard.

Started by Bud Wiser, May 12, 2009, 10:34:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: lynchbhoy on May 12, 2009, 01:12:56 PM
Quote from: lfdown2 on May 12, 2009, 12:07:41 PM
Seen this months ago, think it may be on YouTube from a while ago if someone can check

yeah, I read that a few months ago too....
if that could be checked out a it was attributed to him then at the time

this reminds me that in the late 90's the islamic community in england were lobbying for their own 'parliment' to be set up to preside over the islamic peoples there, and they would not come under general jusistiction of current english gov/law.
they were told no, but like the gpa, you know their intent from such initial requests.

muppet - think that missionaries are the ones that help out in third world countries that have nothing and are helped by such work, even if religious instruction/conversion is part of that (not just christianity that does it either).

fundamentalists are those trying to impose their will on an existing community that are not third world or that dont need help etc.

So were the Protestants here during the famine, who offered food to those with nothing in return for conversion, missionaries as they offered help to a 3rd world country?
MWWSI 2017

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: mylestheslasher on May 12, 2009, 01:18:47 PM
On the Austrialian prime minister. Sounds like the rantings of an intolerant buffon who would do well to read some of his own countries history instead of playing to the those with the lowest IQ is society. What do the aboriginies think of this I wonder? The only way we'll have peace in this world is to try and get along, to understand each other and to meet half way. That goes for Muslims and christians and everyone else.

Myles here's the problem, whilst your sentiments are great the fact is the for these Islamic fundementalists there is no "half way" it's all or nothing.
Tbc....

lynchbhoy

Quote from: muppet on May 12, 2009, 01:21:55 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on May 12, 2009, 01:12:56 PM
Quote from: lfdown2 on May 12, 2009, 12:07:41 PM
Seen this months ago, think it may be on YouTube from a while ago if someone can check

yeah, I read that a few months ago too....
if that could be checked out a it was attributed to him then at the time

this reminds me that in the late 90's the islamic community in england were lobbying for their own 'parliment' to be set up to preside over the islamic peoples there, and they would not come under general jusistiction of current english gov/law.
they were told no, but like the gpa, you know their intent from such initial requests.

muppet - think that missionaries are the ones that help out in third world countries that have nothing and are helped by such work, even if religious instruction/conversion is part of that (not just christianity that does it either).

fundamentalists are those trying to impose their will on an existing community that are not third world or that dont need help etc.

So were the Protestants here during the famine, who offered food to those with nothing in return for conversion, missionaries as they offered help to a 3rd world country?
dont recall reading about missionary protestants assisting catholics during time of famine/land repossession - think I recall something about conversion or lose your land being mentioned though
hardly a 'missionary' action imo

but, if there were protestants interested in feeding the starving and talking about the word of god etc etc and suggesting they convert etc at this time, then that wouldnt be necessarily a bad thing imo
however I think the catholic church wouldnt be trying to convert protestants these days though...as they are already christian, but thats getting into a whole other conversation.

mylestheslasher - I'd actually agree with you. I look more closely at the collections these days and what they are for.
Too many are top heavy in administration and I wont give to the likes of 'concern' for that reason.

Just gave 1.50 about 10 mins ago to an old lady (think she was eastern european) for ataxia nervosa disability as I emerged out of a shop with my lunch. Local charities like these are too easily forgotten imo.

stew

He obviously didnt say that, it would have been in headlines all over the world and by now he would have been marked for death and hiding out like Holly aged 8 from kent and the writer of satanic verses whose name escapes me at the moment.

I agree with every word he allegedly uttered, try setting up a Christian based school in the most liberal of the muslim states and see what happens. I have a mate who tried to teach in Turkey, she was harassed and followed and they even sat in her classroom to make sure she wasnt 'spreading the poison of Christianity. She left in fear for her life. England is already pandering to the muslim community and they will pay the price for generations to come.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

pintsofguinness

QuoteThe only way we'll have peace in this world is to try and get along, to understand each other and to meet half way. That goes for Muslims and christians and everyone else.
NOthing wrong with meeting half way, live and let live but the problem arises when people complain about a crib in a shopping centre or whatever, that's when they should be told to f**k off.  I dont see anything wrong with that.  I wouldnt go to a muslim country at christmas and complain there was no crib. 

I dont see anything wrong with the statement posted, whoever said it or if it's made up nor do I see how it's racist. 
I can see the argument how it's a little ironic given australia's history but I think it's fair enough otherwise.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

full back

Quote from: stew on May 12, 2009, 02:44:12 PM
the writer of satanic verses whose name escapes me at the moment.

Salman Rushdie (and wife, lucky b4stard)

Minder

Quote from: full back on May 12, 2009, 03:23:44 PM

Rushdie is lucky too.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Diet Coke

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on May 12, 2009, 01:20:42 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on May 12, 2009, 01:15:49 PM
Quote from: slow corner back on May 12, 2009, 01:12:24 PM
Depends on which muslim country you went to, Turkey or UAE no probs Saudi or Iran might be different.
uae and saudi are not particularly tolerant (to say the least)
recall last sept when over in dubai that a 'visitor'(non muslim) from lebanon was jailed for drinking a bottle of fruit juice in 'public' (at a petrol service station - where they had just bought the drink) during ramadan.
BUT 5/6 years ago in dubai this was not 'against the law' - its only recently been brought in (to appease the fundamentalists so I was told)!

turkey is heading the fundamentalist way with the new regieme they voted in the other year

Thanks for that Lynchboy,  :o, There i was thinking, surely you can drink normal drinks outside in ramadan rather then die of dhydration. Im fecked.

First time out of Ireland Sligonian? ;) UAE is the most tolerant of the GCC countries, basically because the expats outnumber the Nationals by about 5 to 1. Saudi is the most strict yet there are many expats here making an absolute fortune. Eating and drinking in public (and in front of Muslims inside) is not allowed during ramadan, but you can eat and drink in your own home/office without any problems. Qatar will grow like Dubai in the next few years, good place to be at the moment.   
Everybody knows there no sucha thing as Sanity Clause.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Diet Coke on May 12, 2009, 04:38:10 PM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on May 12, 2009, 01:20:42 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on May 12, 2009, 01:15:49 PM
Quote from: slow corner back on May 12, 2009, 01:12:24 PM
Depends on which muslim country you went to, Turkey or UAE no probs Saudi or Iran might be different.
uae and saudi are not particularly tolerant (to say the least)
recall last sept when over in dubai that a 'visitor'(non muslim) from lebanon was jailed for drinking a bottle of fruit juice in 'public' (at a petrol service station - where they had just bought the drink) during ramadan.
BUT 5/6 years ago in dubai this was not 'against the law' - its only recently been brought in (to appease the fundamentalists so I was told)!

turkey is heading the fundamentalist way with the new regieme they voted in the other year

Thanks for that Lynchboy,  :o, There i was thinking, surely you can drink normal drinks outside in ramadan rather then die of dhydration. Im fecked.

First time out of Ireland Sligonian? ;) UAE is the most tolerant of the GCC countries, basically because the expats outnumber the Nationals by about 5 to 1. Saudi is the most strict yet there are many expats here making an absolute fortune. Eating and drinking in public (and in front of Muslims inside) is not allowed during ramadan, but you can eat and drink in your own home/office without any problems. Qatar will grow like Dubai in the next few years, good place to be at the moment.   
from what I was told when there , dubai had to toe the line and appease the fundamentalists by being more and more draconian and less liberal - as it was seen as too pro-usa and starting to become a target for bombings etc.
its def not as liberal as it was when I visited there 5/6 years previously !

thebigfella

Quote from: full back on May 12, 2009, 03:23:44 PM

You'd think he'd give her the jacket, she look pretty cold.

Bud Wiser

If Rudd did say that wouldn't he make a great hurling manager when he is finished in politics?  My way or the highway ! :)
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

Galwaybhoy

Quote from: Ping Pong Santa on May 12, 2009, 12:48:27 PM
Quote from: Galwaybhoy on May 12, 2009, 11:34:37 AM
Too bad he didn't say that.  It would be great if some politician had the balls to say something like that, I agree with all of it.  We have to worry about offending immigrants from other parts of the world and their religions the whole time, why should we, I'll respect them but I wont change my ways.  If we went to any Muslim country we would have no choice to fit in with their laws.

In what ways do you have to worry about offending people? If you respect other people then surely you have nothing to worry about in offending them.

What are your 'ways' and who is trying to make you change them?

Not so much my ways, but places not allowed to hang up croses and as mentioned not allowing cribs in hospitals for fear of offending.  People that say Happy Hollidays insted of Happy Christmas for fear of offending Jews etc.  Its not only religion, even race.  Kids in school sing Ba Ba Rainbow sheep instead of black sheep for fear of offending black people even though I'd say they couldn't care less about that sort of thing.  Political Correctness like that.

Main Street

Quote from: Bud Wiser on May 12, 2009, 05:25:59 PM
If Rudd did say that wouldn't he make a great hurling manager when he is finished in politics?  My way or the highway ! :)
There is no if.
You foolishly got caught hook line and sinker by an updated version of one of the most popular hoaxes flying around.
Probably finely spun by the Australian version of the BNP.

'Thomas Keneally,wrote  in the Sydney Sun-Herald that Howard belonged to a generation that has a "tendency to the dark prejudices of our childhood, to them-and-us thinking, to a narrowness and vengefulness.... He has a gift for spotting the opportunities to scapegoat to advantage. And his targets are...union bosses, asylum seekers and the Muslims to whom he extends one hand open and the other sheathed in [intelligence agency] ASIO's steel mitt."

But don't let that stop some GAA board members for a second, as they  trip over themselves to get in the queue to offer Rudd some garlands.

Pangurban

I wish we had a politician with the Balls to make that speech