Tesco British products being sold in Ireland

Started by Tankie, May 11, 2009, 11:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tankie

Quote from: ziggysego on May 12, 2009, 11:33:15 PM
Quote from: Tankie on May 12, 2009, 11:22:14 PM
Really - you are generally Mr Ireland and all I want is people to support Irish business. I fail to see where the shite is being talked there?

Why should people who can't afford it, pay over the odds for some false notion of being Irish?

its not a false notion of being Irish, its got to do with protecting Irish jobs and keeping money in Ireland so we can pay for our social welfare etc!
Grand Slam Saturday!

ziggysego

Quote from: Tankie on May 12, 2009, 11:42:27 PM
Really - you are generally Mr Ireland and all I want is people to support Irish business. I fail to see where the shite is being talked there?

Why should people who can't afford it, pay over the odds for some false notion of being Irish?

its not a false notion of being Irish, its got to do with protecting Irish jobs and keeping money in Ireland so we can pay for our social welfare etc!

But what if they can't afford the products in the very same shops? Head to Lide and the shop closes? Not good for jobs then is it.
Testing Accessibility

Tankie

Quote from: ziggysego on May 12, 2009, 11:50:37 PM

But what if they can't afford the products in the very same shops? Head to Lide and the shop closes? Not good for jobs then is it.

lidel actually have a huge amount of Irish products and I am told that most of their fresh food is all sourced from Ireland.

but sure we will have to see what the Irish public decide to do, if they choose to buy British products over Irish products based solely on price I think it will say alot about the country. Pay us high wage, high social welfare BUT we whant cheap food from Britain where they are paid less and social welfare is about a 3rd of ours  ::)
Grand Slam Saturday!

ziggysego

People haven't got a lot of money to be buying Irish, which is expensive. I know you're from the rugby circles and don't have a clear concept of money problems. Just trust me ;)
Testing Accessibility

pintsofguinness

Quote from: ziggysego on May 12, 2009, 11:58:36 PM
People haven't got a lot of money to be buying Irish, which is expensive. I know you're from the rugby circles and don't have a clear concept of money problems. Just trust me ;)
He hasnt a notion.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

The Real Laoislad

He's a rugby fan but there is no way he is from the rugby circles you talk of  :D
More Balllymun than Ballsbridge I'd say  :)
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Tankie

Quote from: pintsofguinness on May 12, 2009, 11:59:59 PM
He hasnt a notion.

we will see who has a notion when the food industry is destroyed in this country and we have no choice but to buy from Britain, and all the factory worker, farmers, haulage firms are gone bust we wont have jobs for them either. It really is no wonder the country is such a shithole......i think i would be better suited in France  ;D
Grand Slam Saturday!

Tankie

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on May 13, 2009, 12:11:56 AM

He's a rugby fan but there is no way he is from the rugby circles you talk of  :D
More Balllymun than Ballsbridge I'd say  :)

They play rugby in Ballymun  :o    What your girlfriends local club??   ;)
Grand Slam Saturday!

man in black

Hell slap it up them down the south, they've been robbing people for years. Did anyone seriously think the tiger would last ?
There is a culture that exists in the south to "put the arm" in when they can. What goes around comes around.
Can believe what they are paying out on dole money. For christ sake cut it in half and get people looking for work or looking to foreign shores again.
'Till things are brighter, I'm the Man In Black

lynchbhoy

Quote from: man in black on May 13, 2009, 09:51:46 AM
Hell slap it up them down the south, they've been robbing people for years. Did anyone seriously think the tiger would last ?
There is a culture that exists in the south to "put the arm" in when they can. What goes around comes around.
Can believe what they are paying out on dole money. For christ sake cut it in half and get people looking for work or looking to foreign shores again.
when the dust settles, people will realise that  while they might not have it as good as a couple of years ago, they mostly still 'have it good'

ok not everyone was a beneficiary of the boom years, but they use the improved roads and tech that have now become commonplace in Ireland.the legacy of the celtic tiger was to leave Ireland and its industries in a far better place than where it came from 20 -30 years ago - without doubt.

the bottom line on the food purchasing question - its not a question of patriotism, more a question of better health.
Its known that the cheaper end of products are most def not as nutritious or as healthy as the slightly more exp options.
So not for me about being patriotic (this is a welcome by-product) its about healthier eating (ok before ss2 steps in, I still wolf down as much rubbish/chips/choc and coca cola to sink a ship)

Gnevin

Quote from: lynchbhoy on May 13, 2009, 09:59:08 AM
when the dust settles, people will realise that  while they might not have it as good as a couple of years ago, they mostly still 'have it good'

ok not everyone was a beneficiary of the boom years, but they use the improved roads and tech that have now become commonplace in Ireland.the legacy of the celtic tiger was to leave Ireland and its industries in a far better place than where it came from 20 -30 years ago - without doubt.

the bottom line on the food purchasing question - its not a question of patriotism, more a question of better health.
Its known that the cheaper end of products are most def not as nutritious or as healthy as the slightly more exp options.
So not for me about being patriotic (this is a welcome by-product) its about healthier eating (ok before ss2 steps in, I still wolf down as much rubbish/chips/choc and coca cola to sink a ship)
Isn't fruit pretty much fruit? I never buy meat from the likes of lidl ,I always get that from the local butcher .
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Tankie

Quote from: Gnevin on May 13, 2009, 10:01:17 AM

Isn't fruit pretty much fruit? I never buy meat from the likes of lidl ,I always get that from the local butcher .

I assume he is talking about the processed food, I was watching a thing on channel 4 a month or two back about british processed food and it is pure shite in it - I aint sure if we are any different here, do tesco do processed food in Ireland?

But on that Matter I was in a rush on saturday so up in superquinn i said i would buy of those meal/pies you can pop in the oven, normally not a fan as theya re usually crap but I found this new brand 'Sully & Cully' (or something like that), now it was a bit more expensive than the noramal €3 pie but it was lovelly, i read the ingreadiants and it all sounded good a fresh, it was just under €6 for the Beef and Mushroom Pie but it was savage and I didnt have that shitty feeling you get after maybe a Denny pie.

Anyone else tried these lads?
Grand Slam Saturday!

thebigfella

It's not as if they are replacing the good stuff on the shevles with Tesco's dung brand. It doesn't matter where the produce is sourced from, they all go through the same quality control processes. Also I believe there is no evidence to say, for example, organic is more nutrious or healthy (I buy organic but I don't pay for my food and am a food snob  :P) than non-organic. For me it's about what tastes better. Although I can't believe battery farmed chicken's could be good for anyone.

By the way i'm not taking about processed food, that is pure dung whichever side of the border you are on.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Tankie on May 13, 2009, 09:01:12 AM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on May 12, 2009, 11:59:59 PM
He hasnt a notion.

we will see who has a notion when the food industry is destroyed in this country and we have no choice but to buy from Britain, and all the factory worker, farmers, haulage firms are gone bust we wont have jobs for them either. It really is no wonder the country is such a shithole......i think i would be better suited in France  ;D
You havent a clue about people struggling to put food on the table. You're showing unbelieveable ignorance.
As I said above, English farmers can prodcue the meat cheaper than Irish farmers and I want to know why because someone is taking the piss somewhere in the chain and I dont see why they should be propped up.

Am I right in thinking tankie that you earn a decent wage but still live at home and therefore very easy for you to lecture on what people should be buying? 
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Ping Pong Santa

Quote from: ziggysego on May 12, 2009, 11:09:01 PM
Quote from: Tankie on May 12, 2009, 11:05:33 PM
Quote from: tyssam5 on May 12, 2009, 07:26:55 PM
What I want to know is what's the point in having a Republic when people like Tankie are just going to follow English sports like rugby? He can slag people about going to supermarkets supporting Lizzie, but what about his idols over there playing trouser snooker with her last week?

total shite being talked there!

True, but it makes as about as much sense as you're making.

Tankie why are you so confident that Irish businesses protect Irish jobs? Are Irish businesses not entitled to the full advantages of free market capitalism?