Tesco British products being sold in Ireland

Started by Tankie, May 11, 2009, 11:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tankie

Quote from: pintsofguinness on May 12, 2009, 04:44:07 PM
I have no problem with people buying good from other countries like every other country but when you main supermarket put Ireland on the UK Supply Chain Irish businesses cannot survive. And they way you go on about people trying to put food on the table is rediculous, have you seem how much people get paid in this country or how much the dole and child benifit is? maybe people should cut back on their lifestyle a bit.
Have you seen how many people are out of work or taking pay cuts?
As for people cutting back on their lifestyle, about 10 years too late for that.  Maybe Irish businesses and the government should be looking at why their products cost more than English products.

How will I benefit from tesco selling english products in Ireland btw?

we also have higher taxes which of course have high prices, we have these higher taxes as people want a higher standard of living, we also only have a population of 4m so volume is alot lower than in Britain where there is a population of 60m so of course you can negotiate cheaper prices with the farmers. On wage cuts I myself have taken a wage cut so I know what it is all about but I would rather support Irish business for the price of a couple of pints or a cheap bottle of wine.
Grand Slam Saturday!

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Tankie on May 12, 2009, 04:49:43 PM
I have no problem with people buying good from other countries like every other country but when you main supermarket put Ireland on the UK Supply Chain Irish businesses cannot survive. And they way you go on about people trying to put food on the table is rediculous, have you seem how much people get paid in this country or how much the dole and child benifit is? maybe people should cut back on their lifestyle a bit.
As for people cutting back on their lifestyle, about 10 years too late for that.  Maybe Irish businesses and the government should be looking at why their products cost more than English products.

we also have higher taxes which of course have high prices, we have these higher taxes as people want a higher standard of living, we also only have a population of 4m so volume is alot lower than in Britain where there is a population of 60m so of course you can negotiate cheaper prices with the farmers. On wage cuts I myself have taken a wage cut so I know what it is all about but I would rather support Irish business for the price of a couple of pints or a cheap bottle of wine.
Well it's well for you that has the money to pick and choose your food rather than going for the cheapest available like a lot of people are at the minute.  As I say, it's up to the farmers and the government to determine why their products are so dear.

You still havent told me how its "all well and good" for me living in Britain as I will "benifit from Irish people buying British food".
I dont suppose I'll be getting an answer to that  ::)
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Tankie

Quote from: pintsofguinness on May 12, 2009, 05:06:38 PM

Well it's well for you that has the money to pick and choose your food rather than going for the cheapest available like a lot of people are at the minute.  As I say, it's up to the farmers and the government to determine why their products are so dear.

You still havent told me how its "all well and good" for me living in Britain as I will "benifit from Irish people buying British food".

More wage cuts but you dont want that, cut social welfare payments so we can reduce tax but you dont want that, cut public spending and sack some civil servants but you dont want that - the fact is it costs more money to do business in this country, so hence it is more expensive to shop here.

QuoteYou still havent told me how its "all well and good" for me living in Britain as I will "benifit from Irish people buying British food".

Its basic economics, the more money Irish people spend on British product the more money britain earns in tax, employment etc.

Since you live there you will then benifit from lower taxes, better standard of living and more employment
Grand Slam Saturday!

Tankie

Ben Dunne will be on Newstalk in a min and I think he is on to talk about this...
Grand Slam Saturday!

thebigfella

Quote from: Tankie on May 12, 2009, 05:31:52 PM
Ben Dunne will be on Newstalk in a min and I think he is on to talk about this...

Sure maybe he has been following this thread

Ping Pong Santa

Quote from: Tankie on May 12, 2009, 05:20:12 PM

More wage cuts but you dont want that, cut social welfare payments so we can reduce tax but you dont want that, cut public spending and sack some civil servants but you dont want that - the fact is it costs more money to do business in this country, so hence it is more expensive to shop here.

QuoteYou still havent told me how its "all well and good" for me living in Britain as I will "benifit from Irish people buying British food".

Its basic economics, the more money Irish people spend on British product the more money britain earns in tax, employment etc.

Since you live there you will then benifit from lower taxes, better standard of living and more employment

This Tankie lad is 'gas' as they would say south of the border.

Thanks for the economics lecture Tankie! They should employ you in the government to sort all this out you seem so highly intelligent and in touch with things,

Tankie

Quote from: Ping Pong Santa on May 12, 2009, 07:08:06 PM
Quote from: Tankie on May 12, 2009, 05:20:12 PM

This Tankie lad is 'gas' as they would say south of the border.

Thanks for the economics lecture Tankie! They should employ you in the government to sort all this out you seem so highly intelligent and in touch with things,

Do you disagree that this is how POG will benefit? Not sure what point you are trying to make...
Grand Slam Saturday!

tyssam5

What I want to know is what's the point in having a Republic when people like Tankie are just going to follow English sports like rugby? He can slag people about going to supermarkets supporting Lizzie, but what about his idols over there playing trouser snooker with her last week?

pintsofguinness

tankie
QuoteMore wage cuts but you dont want that, cut social welfare payments so we can reduce tax but you dont want that, cut public spending and sack some civil servants but you dont want that - the fact is it costs more money to do business in this country, so hence it is more expensive to shop here.
I've never said I didn't want those things, I'd support them. 
As far as I'm concerned the Irish government is incompetent, in massive debt due to the bail out of the banks and the developers and due to the fact they won't make cuts were a blind man could see cuts need to be made.  People allowed to sit at home their whole adult lives on a couple of hundred euro a week while some poor bastard works all the hours he can to keep a roof over his head and you then want that poor bastard to go in to tesco and spend more for Irish meat because it's the patriotic thing to do.  give me a break, no one died for a country like that. 

You don't seem to have a clue about the real world, I'm guessing you still live at home?

Btw imo English meat is terrible. 

Ha! I wont be holding my breath waiting for my tax cut. 
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

armaghniac

This is a complex issue. As mentioned many "Irish" products are only packaged here and many Irish middlemen are getting a cut as well as Tesco. But there is a real danger too. Big organisations will suit themselves, and with a dominence of the market they have a big influence on it. They can adopt a one size fits all policy which is not at all in the customer interest. For instance it has long been documented that Tesco, Sainsbury etc in North were not selling Irish music. Even though Brian Kennedy, Paul Brady, Daniel O'Donnell or whoever was popular they did not sell this because they had the same set of music as was demanded in England (No smart alec comments about the merits of these musicians, that is not the point). We see this kind of thing every summer on GAABoard when people in the 6 counties give out about not getting RTE internet coverage of GAA. Their ISPs couldn't be arsed identifying that they are in NI and they didn't bother asking either, they just took the cheapest service although it wasn't really in their interest.

To give an example. Let's say that there is some supplier in England who has lost demand because of the recession, they do a deal with Tesco to sell them stuff cheap that can't be sold in England if Tesco sell it in Ireland. Tesco sell it in Ireland and take the regular brand off the shelf. People now have to go to their local shop to buy the regular brand this is inevitably more expensive and so it goes out of business although without the dumping they might have been competitive.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

comethekingdom

Quote from: tyssam5 on May 12, 2009, 07:26:55 PM
What I want to know is what's the point in having a Republic when people like Tankie are just going to follow English sports like rugby? He can slag people about going to supermarkets supporting Lizzie, but what about his idols over there playing trouser snooker with her last week?

what a load of bollocks!
What's wrong with following your national rugby team? Its a game supported and played by people from all 32 counties of Ireland. There are , sadly, more who follow english soccer than rugby in this country. ROG playing trouser snooker last week was ok - what about Martin Johnson and his bad manners in Lansdowne Rd a few yrs ago?

Tankie

total shite being talked there!
Grand Slam Saturday!

ziggysego

Quote from: Tankie on May 12, 2009, 11:05:33 PM

True, but it makes as about as much sense as you're making.
Testing Accessibility

Tankie

Quote from: ziggysego on May 12, 2009, 11:09:01 PM
Quote from: Tankie on May 12, 2009, 11:05:33 PM

True, but it makes as about as much sense as you're making.

Really - you are generally Mr Ireland and all I want is people to support Irish business. I fail to see where the shite is being talked there?
Grand Slam Saturday!

ziggysego

Quote from: Tankie on May 12, 2009, 11:22:14 PM
Really - you are generally Mr Ireland and all I want is people to support Irish business. I fail to see where the shite is being talked there?

Why should people who can't afford it, pay over the odds for some false notion of being Irish?
Testing Accessibility