McCabe opts out of Breffni panel

Started by GrandMasterFlash, April 29, 2009, 08:33:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrandMasterFlash

I wouldn't be one to shower Cavan with plaudits but this man deserves his own thread I reckon!

A stalwart for Cavan over the past 14 years and was one of the main reasons they won the Ulster title in 1997. An absolute mammoth man but a gentleman off the park.. Brilliant mid-fielder in his day who wasn't afraid to get forward for the odd score.

mylestheslasher

Its touching that a Monaghan man would care so much  :'(

Anyhow, we're not sure if he left or got the boot. He was a no show for a couple of games and Carr has said that is it for the summer for Dermot. Have to say, its not like Dermot to do no shows. Hes's always been very dedicated over the years. Its a pity as I thought he could have contributed at FF for us for another year or two. I don't think too many Full backs would have liked to see big Dermott coming into the square on them!

We were having a chat about it over on the Cavan thread, I'm just going to paste here what I said there....

So that could be the end for one of our best players of the modern era. I'd like to say thank you to Dermot, hes played for Cavan since he was 19 and he'd be 33 now by my reckoning. Thats a fair auld stint by any stretch of the imagination. The only breaks he took were for injuries and I'm sure he had plenty of chances to head to the states etc and leave the county to fend for  themselves.  For me, that intercepted handpass in the Ulster Final in 97 where he took 2 steps with the ball and belted it over from miles out, was the most memorable score. The day he came on against Down at FF on one leg and proceeded to wreck havoc was another. Hes had many a fine day and even when the legs started to go he still seldom put in a bad performance. Time now for the new lads and the lads getting into their mid 20's to take a step up and start to lead by example.

cavan4ever

He is going to be a big miss , but if his heart wasnt in it the best of luck to him he owes Cavan nothing

DUBSFORSAM1

Even as a Dub I always loved watching McCabe play....Poor guy suffered so badly from injuries and being in a poor team but kept going for years....Would have loved to have had him as a Dub!!

lynchbhoy

Quote from: mylestheslasher on April 29, 2009, 08:55:03 AM
So that could be the end for one of our best players of the modern era. I'd like to say thank you to Dermot, hes played for Cavan since he was 19 and he'd be 33 now by my reckoning. Thats a fair auld stint by any stretch of the imagination. The only breaks he took were for injuries and I'm sure he had plenty of chances to head to the states etc and leave the county to fend for  themselves.  For me, that intercepted handpass in the Ulster Final in 97 where he took 2 steps with the ball and belted it over from miles out, was the most memorable score. The day he came on against Down at FF on one leg and proceeded to wreck havoc was another. Hes had many a fine day and even when the legs started to go he still seldom put in a bad performance. Time now for the new lads and the lads getting into their mid 20's to take a step up and start to lead by example.
was at both games, obv didnt like the first but the second was a fantastic comeback display lead by McCabe

orangeman

As you say he owes Cavan nothing - a nice compliment given his long career. Kept coming back for more and now has had to give way.

Brilliant footballer.

INDIANA

eamon coleman rated him as the best he'd trained. terrific player.

Doogie Browser

Quote from: INDIANA on April 29, 2009, 01:58:53 PM
Fine testimony there.  Always enjoyed watching McCabe play and no doubt the people within Cavan appreciated his contribution down the years. 

cavan4ever

Best Cavan player that i have ever seen.

Players like Big Dermot dont come around to often.

heineken_on_tap

He was a great servant to Cavan football alright. I always admired him as a player and he will be missed.

thebandit

If I was Carr I wouldn't be so quick to cut the link - He'd be no bad option to stick on the edge of the square for 15/20 mins, and Ky Auvin aren' exactly awash with options.

Great player and a civil fella.

cornafean

Quote from: Doogie Browser on April 29, 2009, 02:20:52 PM
Fine testimony there.  Always enjoyed watching McCabe play and no doubt the people within Cavan appreciated his contribution down the years. 

Indeed we did. And still do.
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

Sonny Joe

Did you actually here the man say that or are you going on hear say?
If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

Drung

Coleman was quoted several times as saying Henry Downey was the best he trained.
McCabe was the best Cavan player I've seen since the 70s.

INDIANA

read one distinct article where Coleman described him as the best he'd trained. He said the best other was Tohill. Going back a few years but it stuck in my mind. might have been one of the sunday papers. i'll see if i can get a link.