Doire v Mhuineacháin 24/5/09

Started by Oakleafer93, April 27, 2009, 12:43:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oakleafer93

SLK I think he means plays not on the panel this year. However regarding Wilkinson I don't think he ever really made an impact on the county team aside the Fermanagh game where he kicked a couple of late points. He's more a club player, much like Paul Bradley seems to be.

SidelineKick

Both the highlighted players never added much to the county. Two fantastic club players but just couldn't bring it into county. Though you could never fault Crooks effort, always tried right to the end.

Oakleafer you seem intent on getting Kilet a starting place evn if we have to put him in goals. I don't think he warrants a place on the team and would have Diver streets ahead for the middle of the field (and yes I know he can be a bit wild somtimes but he shows a bit of guts and hunger which I like).
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

Oakleafer93

I just think he has got a lot of Bad press SLK despite having a poor enough league campaign he still managed 1-12 and I think the fact he isn't comfortable playing where he is points to the reason why he maybe had a poor campaign.

SidelineKick

Quote from: Oakleafer93 on May 18, 2009, 05:11:53 PM
I just think he has got a lot of Bad press SLK despite having a poor enough league campaign he still managed 1-12 and I think the fact he isn't comfortable playing where he is points to the reason why he maybe had a poor campaign.

How much of that was from play?

BTW I have absolutely nothing against him, great footballer, but doesnt seem to show any hunger and struggles to win his own ball. I think to throw him into the middle of the field would be: a) madness in terms of his experience V Monaghans experience; and b) a kick in the goolies for the likes of Diver who has been the cover for this position.
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

Overthebar!

you cant be serious thinking of playing kielt in midfield?
sure he couldnt even play there for the u21s-doc and diver it will have to be...

Oakleafer93

I don't know just a thought!

The only think about diver is, although he has the heart of a Lion, he often makes silly fouls which can turn the game on it's head, e.g. v Tyrone he was on 2 mins before being penalised for taking about 15 steps which resulted in a Tyrone Free and one of the turning points in the game. But then v Kerry in last years NLF he was practically flawless! It's hard to know.

Also, I know I'm not his biggest fan and have berated him a but in the past, but what is Mc Kaigue like in the forwards? He couple fill in one of the wing forward slots.

whiskeysteve

Quote from: Oakleafer93 on May 18, 2009, 05:03:41 PM
Whiskey Steve, I have admitted it is a bit of a gamble but James have never looked comfortable on the wing and there is limited options for midfield with only other one Diver who hasn't been too productive of late. As I have said before, although not to compared, he captained Derry to an All Ireland Minor final from Midfield so he obviously has a degree of maturity about it, and regarding experience there is only one way you can get it!! For the past couple or 3 seasons Muldoon has been playing in the wing forward position, when moved into his natural midfield position he was dynamite. I'm not saying its a way to solve the midfield problem but it is certainly an option.

Totally disagree its not an option, not at this time anyway. I dont think you could seriously start Kielt ahead of Diver for his first championship game against Clerkin and Lennon in a position he has not played at senior. Kielt is a big lad but he is not a physical player, nor aggressive enough for this type of midfield battle, rarely saw him win a ball if he was being marked tightly during the league.

That minor team got cleaned out at midfield in the all ireland final.

Comparisons with Muldoons switch to midfield are irrelevant. Muldoon is a seasoned senior player with much greater experience, secondly he is an outstanding fielder of the ball. Kielt is not in his league in this respect.
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

Schkite

I'd love it if Kielt played midfield!

Maguire01

Quote from: Schkite on May 18, 2009, 05:42:54 PM
I'd love it if Kielt played midfield!

Yep, i think it could only be good for Derry.

Maguire01

Quote from: Logan on May 18, 2009, 04:09:02 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on May 18, 2009, 02:08:38 PM
Quote from: Logan on May 18, 2009, 12:03:23 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on May 18, 2009, 11:53:20 AM
Quote from: Logan on May 18, 2009, 11:09:23 AM
Up front Monaghan still rely on Freeman and if Derry stop him Monaghan will struggle. I think Cassidy will have enough men and a decent enough plan to snuff him out.
Ah, that old Tommy Freeman myth that those outside of Monaghan have. Take a look at the spread of scoring over this year's league. We have the likes of Downey, McManus, Finlay, Woods, Ronaghan... Tommy's a star forward, but we're not as reliant on his as we were a couple of years ago. But if Derry want to keep all of their backs concentrating on Tommy, that'll suit us fine. I'd imagine Cassidy has a handle on the reality however.

Sure - look at the scores. Freeman and Jap. Finaly mostly from frees on Freeman.
As for Ronaghan or Woods scoring! Come on! Downey may be a help though.

I think there was a stat last year that 60% of the scores for Monagahan come from Finlay and Freeman - snuff that out and your chances go up.
Well let's look at some stats. Last year's game v Derry:
Finlay - out from suspension
Of Monaghan's 1-13, the following scores did not come from Freeman - Hanratty (0-03), Gollogly (0-02), Clerkin (1-00), McManus, Woods, Smyth (0-01 each)

As for Ronaghan, well he hasn't played too many full games, but he has scored goals in the league against Armagh and Cork - he's had a pretty good return for the amount of game time he's had.

Woods hasn't scored as much during the league as normal, but he knocked over 3 points v Donegal in a Man of the Match performance in last summer's qualifier. He also put over 3 points in the league game against Wexford and has also scored against Kildare and Armagh (there may be others - i can't recall).

Monaghan scored 4-16 against Laois. Of that, Tommy scored 1-06. 3-10 came from other players.

During the league, we've also had scores from Damien Freeman, Lennon, Clerkin, McManus, Hughes, Dessie Mone, Downey, Hanratty, McQuaid........... and scored 1-13 against Armagh with Freeman sent off in the opening minutes.

First of all you can't look at the Laois match - that was a turkey shoot. I heard Banty even got a point that day - in fact going on League scoring is a poor idea.

The only guy there you've mentioned that scored anything substaintial was Hanratty - and he's not playing. As for Woods, maybe 2 points most.

Monaghan rely on Freeman too much and like I said if that is snuffed or he gets injured I think Monaghan will struggle.

16 Monaghan players scored during the league. (I'm not sure why going on league scoring is not relevant.) Yes, Freeman was out in front (5-18), but he's also a free taker and our penalty taker, so that's to be expected. Looking at the league final programme, during the league (before the final) Finlay scored 1-25 (only 6 points behind Tommy, including some from frees obviously), Downey scored 1-08, McManus scored 1-07 (from half-back), Woods scored 0-09, Ronaghan scored 2-02 (despite being a sub in most cases), Damien Freeman 1-03 (from half-back)...

Your reference to Hanratty being the only guy who scored anything substanial is irrelevant. Your first point as that Monaghan are over reliant on Tommy. Surely then it's better to have 10 men capable of scoring one point each in a game rather than one more 'Tommy' to score 10 points?

Mid Mon

Whats the story with stand tickets?
What is the capacity of the stand?
Apparently Monaghan only received 500.

cornerback

Quote from: Oakleafer93 on May 18, 2009, 05:24:11 PM
I don't know just a thought!

The only think about diver is, although he has the heart of a Lion, he often makes silly fouls which can turn the game on it's head, e.g. v Tyrone he was on 2 mins before being penalised for taking about 15 steps which resulted in a Tyrone Free and one of the turning points in the game. But then v Kerry in last years NLF he was practically flawless! It's hard to know.

Also, I know I'm not his biggest fan and have berated him a but in the past, but what is Mc Kaigue like in the forwards? He couple fill in one of the wing forward slots.

C'mon ol93, drop this kielt at midfield craic - his father isn't even playing him at midfield for his club - enough said!

southoftheborder

Quote from: Mid Mon on May 19, 2009, 08:17:48 AM

stand capacity is 3,000 - each derry club received 8each, that wipes about 400-500 out , derry players & mgt received about 200 between them, then u factor in club derrys stand tickets and other "personell" (ie) mccloys mates lol!!!

500 a little unfair to be honest, i thought 1,000 would have done the job!!!

are monaghan likely to bring big numbers??

Maguire01

Quote from: southoftheborder on May 19, 2009, 09:10:57 AM

stand capacity is 3,000 - each derry club received 8each, that wipes about 400-500 out , derry players & mgt received about 200 between them, then u factor in club derrys stand tickets and other "personell" (ie) mccloys mates lol!!!

Season tickets also in the stand, and every season ticket had the option to buy 2 extra, so there coould be another few hundred Monaghan supporters in the stand.

mrsandman

Quote from: Maguire01 on May 19, 2009, 09:29:56 AM
Quote from: southoftheborder on May 19, 2009, 09:10:57 AM

Season tickets also in the stand, and every season ticket had the option to buy 2 extra, so there coould be another few hundred Monaghan supporters in the stand.

500 of youse monaghan hoors in the stand will be enough to listen to...and to look at for that matter  :D
Constipated People Don't Give A crap.