Doire v Mhuineacháin 24/5/09

Started by Oakleafer93, April 27, 2009, 12:43:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ExiledGael

Main Street

You are missing the sarcastic smiley EG
or
are you saying we can't trust the clear written words of a Derryman.
We can't trust that a Derryman knows what the feck he is writing about. :)

We were well beaten by both Cork and Kildare, litterly pushed around the park both times as if we were a buch of Minors playing Seniors for the first time.
Taking candy from a kid.
The gentle giants that make up the Derry team should have no problem dealing with the 10 or so featherweights in the Monaghan squad.

Now we have even resorted to finding out the whereabouts of Vinny Corey's lost twin.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Main Street on April 27, 2009, 11:33:28 PM
or

We were well beaten by both Cork and Kildare, litterly pushed around the park both times as if we were a buch of Minors playing Seniors for the first time.
Taking candy from a kid.
The gentle giants that make up the Derry team should have no problem dealing with the 10 or so featherweights in the Monaghan squad.

Now we have even resorted to finding out the whereabouts of Vinny Corey's lost twin.
you have now resorted , my good fellow, to the noble art of 'arseboxing'
all this deferential 'we are not worthy' and we are only a squad of wee boys craic !

As we all know, Banty has monaghan pumped up for playing for the county based on that 'nobody likes us' ' we are always written off' and that we are a small county that no one rates us craic - so the cute hoors that can play 'on the edge' of the rules have a field day.

Apart from one or two exceptions down the years (mcKeever springs to mind), Derry never had men to do that kind of craic, rather the straightforward 'mess with me , I'll deck you' attitude shown by McGilligan etc.

Its an annual worry for me to see how Derry will respond to eny subversive tactics. Will they retaliate and get sent off, will they ignore and play football, will they fight fire with fire.
the latter is usually never an option. I hope Derry can keep their heads on the gameplan and playing football .

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: lynchbhoy on April 28, 2009, 10:50:08 AM
Quote from: Main Street on April 27, 2009, 11:33:28 PM
or

Taking candy from a kid.

you have now resorted , my good fellow, to the noble art of 'arseboxing'
all this deferential 'we are not worthy' and we are only a squad of wee boys craic !

As we all know, Banty has monaghan pumped up for playing for the county based on that 'nobody likes us' ' we are always written off' and that we are a small county that no one rates us craic - so the cute hoors that can play 'on the edge' of the rules have a field day.

Apart from one or two exceptions down the years (mcKeever springs to mind), Derry never had men to do that kind of craic, rather the straightforward 'mess with me , I'll deck you' attitude shown by McGilligan etc.

Its an annual worry for me to see how Derry will respond to eny subversive tactics. Will they retaliate and get sent off, will they ignore and play football, will they fight fire with fire.
the latter is usually never an option. I hope Derry can keep their heads on the gameplan and playing football .

Ah get over yourself Lynchbhoy. You're the one being deferential if you expect everyone on here to believe that Derry are in no way a physical side and just 'want to play football' (bless them). Kevin McCloy, McGuckian, Fergal Doc, Eoin Bradley are all physical lads and will push the likes of Gollogly, Dessie Mone, Damien Freeman, Conor McManus and even Paul Finlay about the place at ease.

I'm really gettin fed up with this Monaghan are dirty craic - sure they play a physical type of game but it is well proven (Kerry 07 & 08, Cork 08, Kildare 08) that they can be bossed about the place. Cork are not a dirty team IMHO and completely and totally bossed Monaghan out of it on Sunday last.

Do you think Damien Cassidy has not noticed theses type of things???

lynchbhoy

Quote from: GrandMasterFlash on April 28, 2009, 12:38:23 PM
  Ah get over yourself Lynchbhoy. You're the one being deferential if you expect everyone on here to believe that Derry are in no way a physical side and just 'want to play football' (bless them). Kevin McCloy, McGuckian, Fergal Doc, Eoin Bradley are all physical lads and will push the likes of Gollogly, Dessie Mone, Damien Freeman, Conor McManus and even Paul Finlay about the place at ease.

I'm really gettin fed up with this Monaghan are dirty craic - sure they play a physical type of game but it is well proven (Kerry 07 & 08, Cork 08, Kildare 08) that they can be bossed about the place. Cork are not a dirty team IMHO and completely and totally bossed Monaghan out of it on Sunday last.

Do you think Damien Cassidy has not noticed theses type of things???
calm down calm down, dont think theres much to be 'getting over'
Only Mccloy would be a rough/dirty player (sure he's from lavey) - the rest are the type that worries me - reactionary , the will retaliate but dont start fights (ok Eoin B would cause a row in heaven) but if left alone playing football wouldnt be like that at all. McGuckian - hes too much of an alter boy type for my liking.

I'd much prefer to have the 'dirty' monaghan style to be honest. so dont get yer knickers in a twist.
Cork are a big physical side and they have a manager who was a fantastic but dirty hoor in his day and you can bet yer dollars that he is teaching them how to not get invlved and how to deal with such play.

I am sure Cassidy has noticed, but how can he deal with it is part of his big test.

Main Street

Take it from me Lynchboy, for different reasons Derry did not perform in the last 2 games against Monaghan but us (allegedly) being well versed in the dark subversive arts had little to do with it.
Surely home advantage will ease much of the chronic insecurities and pessimism engrained in the inveterate Derry supporter :)
Derry will deservedly be warm favourites.

From our point of view we know that this bunch of Monaghan lads have been here before. They will be well prepared mentally and physically for this encounter and it's hard to put a value on that. No whiff of the dark arts about the threat of a well prepared team coming to do battle on your own turf.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Main Street on April 28, 2009, 01:28:54 PM
Take it from me Lynchboy, for different reasons Derry did not perform in the last 2 games against Monaghan but us (allegedly) being well versed in the dark subversive arts had little to do with it.
Surely home advantage will ease much of the chronic insecurities and pessimism engrained in the inveterate Derry supporter :)
Derry will deservedly be warm favourites.

From our point of view we know that this bunch of Monaghan lads have been here before. They will be well prepared mentally and physically for this encounter and it's hard to put a value on that. No whiff of the dark arts about the threat of a well prepared team coming to do battle on your own turf.

maybe not so much in the qualifier game in clones, but certainly in the ulster championship meeting it played a large and significant part.

I always believe that you play your own game and ignore the opposition, the other aspect that Derry were missing was a defined gameplan and method of playing , this was lacking under prev manager. any team has to be 'right' coming into a game , Derry have been guilty in the past two meetings of that. A third time would be inexcusable.
Dont know why monaghan lads are annoyed that a large portion of their side are thought to be 'dirty'. Meath used to love that mantra and I'd much rather a hard rough side than a team of prima donas any day.

Joxer

Looking forward to this game thoroughly...  Think it is far too close too call.

How will the minor game go?

Oakleafer93

I don't know how Monaghan minors are the year but it would seem Derry Minors have been performing poorly to date in the league.

Main Street

Quote from: lynchbhoy on April 28, 2009, 02:00:02 PM
maybe not so much in the qualifier game in clones, but certainly in the ulster championship meeting it played a large and significant part.

I always believe that you play your own game and ignore the opposition, the other aspect that Derry were missing was a defined gameplan and method of playing , this was lacking under prev manager. any team has to be 'right' coming into a game , Derry have been guilty in the past two meetings of that. A third time would be inexcusable.
Dont know why monaghan lads are annoyed that a large portion of their side are thought to be 'dirty'. Meath used to love that mantra and I'd much rather a hard rough side than a team of prima donas any day.

I'm quite happy and inspired to see our pint sized warriors stand up tall to physically stronger opponents :) That's just basic survival, has to be taken for granted.
I'm bemused to read comments about the winning edge attributed to skullduggery and dark arts with not much on the blindingly obvious, the good football played by some very good players to score the points.
Will the Celtic Pk renovations be completed on target for this game?

ExiledGael

Certainly will by the looks of it. Was past the other day and there's an impressive covered stand now on the road end.
Should be a cracker after the weekend's defeats, will definitely try to get to it.

mountainboii

Quote from: Oakleafer93 on April 28, 2009, 03:39:32 PM
I don't know how Monaghan minors are the year but it would seem Derry Minors have been performing poorly to date in the league.

Monaghan will win I'd say. They were the only team not lose to Armagh in the league, while Derry shipped a couple of heavy defeats in the same competition.

Schkite

Wouldn't know the most about the minors but our VEC team did win the All-Ireland so that's a good start! I think there's alot of those players on the team, as there was last year after they got to the AI VEC final. Still a few boys from last year like McCarey, Boyle, the Dooney's etc. Ray McCarron's son Jack on it now and seems to be scoring well, and did in the VEC run by the sounds of it, so it'll be interesting to see if he lives up to the aul boy!

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: Schkite on April 28, 2009, 08:07:33 PM
Ray McCarron's son Jack on it now and seems to be scoring well, and did in the VEC run by the sounds of it, so it'll be interesting to see if he lives up to the aul boy!

He has a big pair of boots to fill there! (for a small man!)

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Main Street on April 28, 2009, 06:03:15 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on April 28, 2009, 02:00:02 PM

I'm quite happy and inspired to see our pint sized warriors stand up tall to physically stronger opponents :) That's just basic survival, has to be taken for granted.
I'm bemused to read comments about the winning edge attributed to skullduggery and dark arts with not much on the blindingly obvious, the good football played by some very good players to score the points.
Will the Celtic Pk renovations be completed on target for this game?
some good football played alright, but its part and parcel of the game to put off good players by alternative means - hitting the 'softer' ones and putting them off wanting to get involved in the game through fear, getting the argumentative reactionary ones fighting and therefore not playing football
no I wouldnt agree that the game of football is as easily classified as the team playing better football won, plenty of times I'd have agreed that the team I played on or supported won games they should have lost - and it wasnt down to the playing of good football.